Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level crossings have never really explained the impact of ventilating cut and covers as well, which can have a pretty major impact on suburbs.

I look at places like Rosanna and Toorak Road, and neither of them provide better services or outcomes to the community if they use a rail under solution. They just don't get community spaces and they get less vegetation to eventually screen structures. I compare it to Grange Rd in Fairfield (Alphington?), where rail under was an easier solution - but it's not a better solution.
There's ways and means with everything, ventilation & filtration can be done for tunnels but it's more expense. Rail can be fully built over to create an open space like Fed Square at the right price. But, like, if we're paying that price just so people don't have to look at an above ground concrete structure all day then no thanks.

And the level crossing authority knows this. All the galaxy brain suggestions made on social media about "why didn't the engineers do X" or "why didn't they think of Y" don't pay respect to the fact that someone did think of that and they decided that preserving your piece of amenity wasn't value for money for the rest of the state.

Old mate is clearly a NIMBY who has an upcoming skyrail in his area. No other reason to start beating up a horse that died ******* years ago.
Don't live anywhere near them.

It's an embarrassing and obtrusive design, particularly when it cuts across suburbs.

They didn't even bother to make it halfway attractive. It's just slabs of concrete which are gradually filling up with graffiti.

There are other railway overpasses built decades ago in the inner city, which are far more lightweight or less visible.

Don't live anywhere near them.

It's an embarrassing and obtrusive design, particularly when it cuts across suburbs.

They didn't even bother to make it halfway attractive. It's just slabs of concrete which are gradually filling up with graffiti.

There are other railway overpasses built decades ago in the inner city, which are far more lightweight or less visible.

more light weight???

Go to the Glen Waverley and the Alamein line where elevated lines built decades ago are common. The solution wasnt low visibility solutions, it was big arse ugly rock or dirt raised embankments.

If i had a choice between skyrail with bike paths and gardens below it, or a big arse rock mound, i'd take skyrail every day of the week

more light weight???

Go to the Glen Waverley and the Alamein line where elevated lines built decades ago are common. The solution wasnt low visibility solutions, it was big arse ugly rock or dirt raised embankments.
No need to go out to Glen Waverley. The rail at Collingwood, Richmond is far less visible than what we have now and was built ages ago. That should have been the worst case scenario.

No need to go out to Glen Waverley. The rail at Collingwood, Richmond is far less visible than what we have now and was built ages ago. That should have been the worst case scenario.

Richmond has buildings up against it. is that what you want?

A pity they didn't keep the old wooden bridge over the Mordi creek when they built the concrete one in the late 70s.

View attachment 1565125

Just remembered a moment in the early 80s coming home from somewhere on a packed Frankston bound train (an old blue Harris) and two young dickhead had parked their bikes in the doorway. An elderly woman asked if they could move their bikes when she was trying to get off at Mordialloc. They told her to F*** off and laughed and she had to use another door.

A big, burly bloke was standing nearby and said nothing.

As the train went over the bridge he reached over, opened the door and threw both bikes out into the creek.

The kids were speechless.

"Next time, move yer bikes," the bloke said.

I miss those old classic Harris trains, asbestos filled death traps, but I lived em, esp as you could open doors mid travel as you mention lol

Elevated rail that doesn't look like a highway overpass.

and in Richmond its all surrounded by buildings, so there is none of this open spaces and views you referred to. Are you wanting 2-3 storey buildings built up along skyrail to beautify it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That has nothing to do with the structure of the railway.

No

it does

you say richmond is all open. it isnt. its all surrounded by buildings

just admit you're full of s**t and we can all move on with our lives

Apart from solving an immediate problem in a relatively cost effective manner, sky rail is also a guide to ho Melbourne might look in the future (next 50/75/100 years) with more buildings going up along rail lines as we increase density due to increasing population growth.

Where did I say Richmond was all open?

"The rail at Collingwood, Richmond is far less visible than what we have now and was built ages ago. "

Its not visible because its surrounded by ******* multi-storey buildings

The rail corridor through richmond & collingwood is a giant earth embankment with individual bridges over roads lmao. The bridges are as low as * and the abutments are all two or three times wider than the columns supporting the rail through Murrumbeena.

So basically, as I've said, this just boils down to "I don't want to see the trains, and I don't care how much extra has to be paid for it to happen".

"The rail at Collingwood, Richmond is far less visible than what we have now and was built ages ago. "

Its not visible because its surrounded by ******* multi-storey buildings
Ok, that's not anything about Richmond being wide open. I commented on the rail which is a lighter design regardless of the location.

Ok, that's not anything about Richmond being wide open. I commented on the rail which is a lighter design regardless of the location.

no - you said its less visible. its not less visible because it has a "lighter design", its less visible because its surrounded by large buildings.

The real question is, where is the value for money in putting the rail under the road only to bridge over it every few hundred metres or even worse, to do a complete cut and cover solution which requires thousands of m3 of steel and concrete to create load bearing structures, no different to an elevated railway in concept but end up being more expansive due to a trench with reinforced walls for soil retention being wider than an elevated rail?

Unpopular opinion, but I couldn't give a * if the people along the CD9 do not like the new view and there's no way known I could be convinced that my tax money is better spent preserving the ambience of a neighbourhood I don't live in than actually building other s**t instead. Only solution I've got for them is to sell your million dollar property, buy somewhere else and * right off.
If elevated rail is cheaper, then build elevated rail.

The reason why the suburban rail loop will have tunnel, is because of the clawback value for land sales and the fact it will allow for high/medium density rezoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back