Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm already criticising what is being announced, and that it is more buildings and less so staff (apart from the nurses education subsidy which is welcome if we can retain them - and in particular can we get them into outer metro/ regionals)

Where are we getting more staff from if we are building new hospitals?

We must be confident a large flock are coming through unis?

It’s all political point scoring. He chose the wrong side of it. They are out for themselves, to win elections, not for health.
Anyone is kidding themselves if they think we wouldn’t have been in lockdowns if Guy was the premier.

My main point from the get go was that when the health system gets criticised in this state, some choose to deflect to “but but but the liberals”, rather than owning that it’s a mess all around the country. It’s pathetic.
I think you could make an argument that a conservative government in NSW, Vic and federally might have ended in a very different response.

Work colleagues do often say I should be health minister but reply is why would I do that - take a pay cut and lose my clinical work and perspective

Its why we have such sub par politicians....no one who is the best in their field would in their right mind chose a career where you can only succeed if you are corrupt as hell, for a fraction of the pay you can get in the private sector......Its why all of our politicians are egotistical, power hungry, corrupt, ideological, underachievers.

I'm already criticising what is being announced, and that it is more buildings and less so staff (apart from the nurses education subsidy which is welcome if we can retain them - and in particular can we get them into outer metro/ regionals)

We cant staff the beds/positions we have now out here in district 12.....im sure all is rosy in the Capitol though. Take a look at the number of vacant advertised positions in regional/rural health services.....we have 60 currently in ours and there would be at least twice that many unadvertised or gerrymandered by middle management to suit their agenda and nepotistic corruption. Our MH Inpt units are barely breathing and only because of agency staff...its not sustainable....especially with a toxic culture that management refuse to acknowledge or address.

Plaques on walls always win more votes than qualified, local, quality staff on the ground. #andrews

We cant staff the beds/positions we have now out here in district 12.....im sure all is rosy in the Capitol though. Take a look at the number of vacant advertised positions in regional/rural health services.....we have 60 currently in ours and there would be at least twice that many unadvertised or gerrymandered by middle management to suit their agenda and nepotistic corruption.

Plaques on walls always win more votes than qualified, local, quality staff on the ground. #andrews
Not sure which district the northern would be; we aren’t the capitol nor the spoiled 1 or 2; maybe 6 with the know how - we have by necessity found ways to do the same with less and so get resentful of capitol (tertiaries) getting more.

Sorry to continue the rant...but its the same as the bullshit ICU beds promise that Andrews made during COVID....no intent on following through, and really how will anyone actually know if there are double the staffing numbers in 2-3 years? the corrupt department can fudge the numbers to give Andrews a glowing media release any time he wants.

Its so so ****ed.

Its why we have such sub par politicians....no one who is the best in their field would in their right mind chose a career where you can only succeed if you are corrupt as hell, for a fraction of the pay you can get in the private sector......Its why all of our politicians are egotistical, power hungry, corrupt, ideological, underachievers.
I’m 100% public hospital sector but your point is still valid.

Sorry to continue the rant...but its the same as the bullshit ICU beds promise that Andrews made during COVID....no intent on following through, and really how will anyone actually know if there are double the staffing numbers in 2-3 years? the corrupt department can fudge the numbers to give Andrews a glowing media release any time he wants.

Its so so ****ed.
And will they report on available EFT or just the number of people with the training (but might work 0.2 only)

And will they report on available EFT or just the number of people with the training (but might work 0.2 only)

Yup....its infuriating. And this economy of truth has seeped down from Spring St through the department to the directorship now....maybe it took longer up here because of our distance but its here and its pungent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone in the system explain what’s happening at the RCH?
They have stated that covid hospitalisations are normal levels and staffing levels are as strong as possible.
Whats driving the overflow?

They have stated that covid hospitalisations are normal levels and staffing levels are as strong as possible.

They mentioned on radio that people need to go to GPs first, so my guess (100% guess) is the walk ups for covid (who are then sent home because they are not needing hospitalization) may be blocking things up.

They mentioned on radio that people need to go to GPs first, so my guess (100% guess) is the walk ups for covid (who are then sent home because they are not needing hospitalization) may be blocking things up.

Covid is safe in kids. No need to go to ED unless your child is severely compromised or has considerable co morbidities. Silly Melbournites.

Covid is safe in kids. No need to go to ED unless your child is severely compromised or has considerable co morbidities. Silly Melbournites.

its often that its free (many GPs now only bulk bill for certain peeps)

In a statement the Royal Children’s hospital said more than half of patients who arrived on Monday afternoon were triaged as less urgent, and wait times for those people may reach more than 12 hours. “We will always treat the most seriously ill children first,” the statement said.
Melbourne Royal Children’s hospital tells parents to stay away if possible due to ‘unprecedented demand’

Arachchi said there are lots of viruses going around including adenoviruses, rhinoviruses and enteroviruses, alongside Covid-19.

“Lack of fluid intake and dehydration, a rash, gastroenteritis and fever are the most common reasons people bring children into hospital, and these symptoms are often due to a viral infection that has been going on for a while and not gotten better,” she said.

“As a parent I totally understand their anxiety and concern. But we have noticed an increase in health anxiety among parents, partly because of the reporting on Covid-19, and parents worried that their children aren’t old enough to be vaccinated, who also may be unaware of other services like GP respiratory clinics.”

In a statement the Royal Children’s hospital said more than half of patients who arrived on Monday afternoon were triaged as less urgent, and wait times for those people may reach more than 12 hours. “We will always treat the most seriously ill children first,” the statement said.
Melbourne Royal Children’s hospital tells parents to stay away if possible due to ‘unprecedented demand’

Arachchi said there are lots of viruses going around including adenoviruses, rhinoviruses and enteroviruses, alongside Covid-19.

“Lack of fluid intake and dehydration, a rash, gastroenteritis and fever are the most common reasons people bring children into hospital, and these symptoms are often due to a viral infection that has been going on for a while and not gotten better,” she said.

“As a parent I totally understand their anxiety and concern. But we have noticed an increase in health anxiety among parents, partly because of the reporting on Covid-19, and parents worried that their children aren’t old enough to be vaccinated, who also may be unaware of other services like GP respiratory clinics.”

Cheers mate!

Theories
Lack of GP alternatives to attend
Relative lack of trust in non paediatric EDs by parents (ie choosing to travel to RCH instead of to local metro ED where they are mixed ED)
RCH is the center for "special" children - those with complex health care conditions which generally freak out GPs, and some other non RCH ED providers as well
Staffing as strong as possible = we have had leave that we are covering as best as we can (that would be covid leave for not unwell staff but can't work as covid +ve)
From the article, sounds like high acuity patients waiting admission (possibly very high acuity ie ICU level, or just high acuity - needing oxygen/ IV fluid/ IV antis) and no beds available on the inpatient side (recall that you are hearing ED state they have normal staffing, but nothing about the ward)

Though from my perspective "90 patients in the ED" bitch please; Northern regularly hits 100 or 110 in the ED.

Theories
Lack of GP alternatives to attend
Relative lack of trust in non paediatric EDs by parents (ie choosing to travel to RCH instead of to local metro ED where they are mixed ED)
RCH is the center for "special" children - those with complex health care conditions which generally freak out GPs, and some other non RCH ED providers as well
Staffing as strong as possible = we have had leave that we are covering as best as we can (that would be covid leave for not unwell staff but can't work as covid +ve)
From the article, sounds like high acuity patients waiting admission (possibly very high acuity ie ICU level, or just high acuity - needing oxygen/ IV fluid/ IV antis) and no beds available on the inpatient side (recall that you are hearing ED state they have normal staffing, but nothing about the ward)

Though from my perspective "90 patients in the ED" bitch please; Northern regularly hits 100 or 110 in the ED.

This. One clinic where I live has one doctor who will see people if they have covid symptoms, even if they've tested negative. The rest refuse. Makes it hard to get treatment.

This. One clinic where I live has one doctor who will see people if they have covid symptoms, even if they've tested negative. The rest refuse. Makes it hard to get treatment.

Yes, its very hard, and add in how GPs are now often no longer bulk billing while ED is free...

And on my point about Northern occupancy, right now we have 108 patients in the department, with 41 awaiting an in hospital bed, another 10 awaiting a short stay bed and 16 waiting to be seen by a doctor with the longest person waiting 2 hrs 21 minutes

But do you hear us in the media, no you don't. Because we are the permanently ignored; the forgotten where nurses leave to the over resourced tertiaries; and who seem to have some permanent curse/ blessing that no matter what negative media appears it is always buried by other stories. Always.

FjRYJ_3acAAPr5n

My guess is that at least part of it is people taking their kids to ED for ailments that could easily be handled by their GP. That also applies to emergencies at public hospitals generally, btw. Part of that is an understandable parental concern. Another is it's free and the payment gap at a GP is getting problematic for many. And the cost at a private hospital ED is expensive. Some might say exorbitant.

EDs not handling the incoming in Covid times is occurring throughout the country.

There are other considerations too, qualified staff shortages being one. Part of which is Covid related. As it is with Ambos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back