Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m lucky my GP back home has always bulk billed, they are now introducing a $15 payment that has just started this week but doctors can still bulk bill if they wish.

But it is also hard to get in to see someone and usually have to book a couple of days in advance.

I’ve gone to ED for after hours sports injuries as a kid, but that’s it. Most of the time anyone in my family goes to ED it’s because it is out of hours and you can’t see a GP!
If it’s only a couple of days you are way ahead of my local area (2 weeks)

Firstly, "overnight" and "eleven years" are two different time periods. Bracks and Brumby had 11 years and a budget that doubled in size. The Kennett grievance is worth more to Labor politically than fixing the problems. The current government puts Bracks and Brumby in the shade for achievement, but has Daniel Andrews well covered for respect for institutions, tone of political debate and other behaviour such as corruption.

And I love the "open your eyes" meme. Once again, educated, intelligent people can come to different conclusions from the same information.

Finally, Casemix funding meant more patients were being treated to a better standard with less funding. Labor repeated only the last bit whenever they could, it was not refuted or explained away by Liberals, and now it is an article of faith in the Victorian polity. Part of the reason why the health argument at the most recent election didn't get far, despite the polling indicating that Victorians weren't happy with the quality of the health system.
They had to spend their first term recovering what was lost just get it back to the levels it was when the slashing started. By than though they needed additional support in the sector so what was there at the time wasn't nearly enough. They than had to start again in 2013 when Baillieu/Napthine started doing the same thing again the previous term so as a state we have never really got ahead of things. Again they spent the first term trying to recover again and the cycle has kept repeating. Not suggesting just throwing money at the problem will fix it. It's a constantly evolving sector.

They had to spend their first term recovering what was lost just get it back to the levels it was when the slashing started. By than though they needed additional support in the sector so what was there at the time wasn't nearly enough. They than had to start again in 2013 when Baillieu/Napthine started doing the same thing again the previous term so as a state we have never really got ahead of things. Again they spent the first term trying to recover again and the cycle has kept repeating. Not suggesting just throwing money at the problem will fix it. It's a constantly evolving sector.
The Napthine govt was pretty useless but labours claims that he slashed the health budget was found to be a lie.

The problems in Victoria's health system are down to Andrew's personal decision to create the merged DHHS and his government's decision to bloat the executive and media teams of DHHS rather than pouring the money into actual health care.

Libs aren't good by any means but Dan's record on health is one of continued failure and lies.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Underfunding public health abd education has bipartisan support in this country, they blame each other for it but there both do it.

States and Feds do the same with each other

The Napthine govt was pretty useless but labours claims that he slashed the health budget was found to be a lie.

The problems in Victoria's health system are down to Andrew's personal decision to create the merged DHHS and his government's decision to bloat the executive and media teams of DHHS rather than pouring the money into actual health care.

Libs aren't good by any means but Dan's record on health is one of continued failure and lies.

The merged DHHS and a centralised public health system was fantastic during non-emergency and pre-pandemic times, in terms of efficiency.

That has been flipped on its head by COVID and hopefully the more expensive, but ultimately more robust model, will continue going forward.

For most of Dan's tenure Vic was lauded for it's performance with outcomes v expenditure.

Obviously during an age of increased climate disaster, continued pandemics and so on, a kind of fiscally cautious or streamlined health system, will risk both cost spikes and/or dysfunction and collapse. So the neoliberal model has clearly failed.

But thankfully during the pandemic, both the public service side and public health side(s) have been completely reorganised. There has been a massive spike in investment at the state level in hospitals, but now what needs to happen is the federal government must increase medicare funding + institute a number of regulatory changes to allay the GP and primary care crisis and take a more open view to credential recognition and visa granting for doctors and nurses to help fix staffing levels.

The challenges are solvable but will take time, money and political will.

Underfunding public health abd education has bipartisan support in this country, they blame each other for it but there both do it.

States and Feds do the same with each other
It's been the covert war to do privatisation by stealth.

The Labor right or "centrists" especially have been complicit.

Too many true believers and careerists wed to a failed neoliberal doctrine. The only silver lining I can take from the pandemic, is that this idiocy has been shown up for the economic snake oil that it is. The private sector not only delivers higher costs, but cost cutting and outsourcing create extreme fragility.

Honestly, any government which ran on even modest scaling back of rorts and outsourcing, with minor toe dips into either renationalisation, or government reentry into the market place (for utilities and public services), would win in a landslide.

If they succeed in reconstituting the SEC and bringing sufficient new supply online, you might as well crown the Labor leader premier for life.

Last edited:

Too many true believers and careerists wed to a failed neoliberal doctrine. The only silver lining I can take from the pandemic, is that this idiocy has been shown up for the economic snake oil that it is. The private sector not only delivers higher costs, but cost cutting and outsourcing create extreme fragility.

Honestly, any government which ran on even modest scaling back of rorts and outsourcing, with minor toe dips into either renationalisation, or government reentry into the market place, would win in a landslide.

If they succeed in reconstituting the SEC and bringing sufficient new supply online, you might as well crown the Labor leader premier for life.
I don't see neoliberalism or those it benefit more specifically letting go without a fight.

We don't have a state ir federal government that isn't neoliberal in it's policies it's just some still realise the benefits of the welfare state fkr keeping people compliant more than others

I don't see neoliberalism or those it benefit more specifically letting go without a fight.

We don't have a state ir federal government that isn't neoliberal in it's policies it's just some still realise the benefits of the welfare state fkr keeping people compliant more than others
At the moment the latter is just barely WA and Victoria.

McGowan thanking his lucky stars the state still owns generation assets, has a gas reserve and went less far down the road of water privatisation.

I know Andrews will never do it, simply due to any service provision issues immediately being used to trash a sitting government, but gee it would be great if a Labor government had the guts to re-nationalise rail and tram services when various contracts are next due to expire.

At the moment the latter is just barely WA and Victoria.

McGowan thanking his lucky stars the state still owns generation assets, has a gas reserve and went less far down the road of water privatisation.

I know Andrews will never do it, simply due to any service provision issues immediately being used to trash a sitting government, but gee it would be great if a Labor government had the guts to re-nationalise rail and tram services when various contracts are next due to expire.
Remember when essential services were just that?
Good times

Damned right-wing ABC.

I had a think about this the other day, $85 for a 15 min consult is $340 an hr which is below the hourly rate which accounting and legal directors charge.
True, but it's about economics.

Professional services get away with charging that much because they're dealing with wealthy individuals or companies who can afford to pay their rates. GP's are dealing with everyday people.

Also, directors are at the very top of the totem pole in professional services. They're more equivalent to the surgeons of the medical world. In most industries the people at the very top earn significantly more than the rest.

Honestly, any government which ran on even modest scaling back of rorts and outsourcing, with minor toe dips into either renationalisation, or government reentry into the market place (for utilities and public services), would win in a landslide.

Some one has to pick up the tab for the interest ..... see todays national cabinet meeting for who that is, which taxpayers ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The merged DHHS and a centralised public health system was fantastic during non-emergency and pre-pandemic times, in terms of efficiency.

That has been flipped on its head by COVID and hopefully the more expensive, but ultimately more robust model, will continue going forward.

For most of Dan's tenure Vic was lauded for it's performance with outcomes v expenditure.

Obviously during an age of increased climate disaster, continued pandemics and so on, a kind of fiscally cautious or streamlined health system, will risk both cost spikes and/or dysfunction and collapse. So the neoliberal model has clearly failed.

But thankfully during the pandemic, both the public service side and public health side(s) have been completely reorganised. There has been a massive spike in investment at the state level in hospitals, but now what needs to happen is the federal government must increase medicare funding + institute a number of regulatory changes to allay the GP and primary care crisis and take a more open view to credential recognition and visa granting for doctors and nurses to help fix staffing levels.

The challenges are solvable but will take time, money and political will.
But in reality, Dan's health system was.going backwards pre COVID resulting in Victorians dying who could have been saved.

But in reality, Dan's health system was.going backwards pre COVID resulting in Victorians dying who could have been saved.

That’s because a bunch of hospitals refused to comply with assertive ambulance offload. Northern has been doing it for 6 years. We don’t notice when ambulance goes on code red because to us the actions are situation normal. It’s those well resourced tertiaries that dragged their feet, hoped that patients would get reloaded to other hospitals (and in RMH case make their department look all clean for the tv show)

(Yes I’m ******* bitter)

That’s because a bunch of hospitals refused to comply with assertive ambulance offload. Northern has been doing it for 6 years. We don’t notice when ambulance goes on code red because to us the actions are situation normal. It’s those well resourced tertiaries that dragged their feet, hoped that patients would get reloaded to other hospitals (and in RMH case make their department look all clean for the tv show)

(Yes I’m ******* bitter)
RMH isn't even bad compared to other's either. RMH could be a hell of a lot better at using the AVOL areas though. There are 2 hospitals to the East and West of TNH that are significantly worse for offloading.

RMH isn't even bad compared to other's either. RMH could be a hell of a lot better at using the AVOL areas though. There are 2 hospitals to the East and West of TNH that are significantly worse for offloading.
see I always think a little south when I want to get angry. West... is it their outer metro one? At least I think they are under resourced like us.

see I always think a little south when I want to get angry. West... is it their outer metro one? At least I think they are under resourced like us.
Yep, outer Metro. Although new Footscray hospital will help them but still under resourced and not as pro-active as they could be at times.

Like most things the government has by design setup a system that encourages gaps to be covered by the end user.
And we've had a long period of trying to make the gap larger.

There will always be people that go to ED because of the timing or because its the closest, or they think it's a hospital issue, but the current GP model isn't working.

The gap has had to get larger. GP rebate indexation was frozen for 5 or 6 years. Diagnostic imaging rebates were frozen for two decades. All the while businesses (which is what they are) are paying commercial rents, annual wage increases, etc.

Is the GP model broken? Don’t know, but the number of medical students wanting to enter general practice is falling and those currently practicing are reducing their hours at an alarming rate.
I think most of the people that think we have amazing free healthcare haven't had to use it for decades, or haven't had to use it regularly.

When I moved to this area 8 years ago it was easy to get a doctor's appointment and almost everywhere still bulk billed, now there are two places that do and you don't want to go there because they're s**t as it's all about seeing enough people in a day to make money, they don't actually do anything.

Unfortunately when comment is required on the health crisis de jour, the media often go to the AMA. The AMA is a union and inevitably the answer is “more funding”. Funding of what?

If you want to spend more money in health, open up training. The example of nurse training in Victoria is ideal but needs to be replicated across a number of skill groups.

I can tell you right now a number of state govt health initiatives from this election are going to be dead on arrival not because of money but because they can’t be staffed.

The gap has had to get larger. GP rebate indexation was frozen for 5 or 6 years. Diagnostic imaging rebates were frozen for two decades. All the while businesses (which is what they are) are paying commercial rents, annual wage increases, etc.

Is the GP model broken? Don’t know, but the number of medical students wanting to enter general practice is falling and those currently practicing are reducing their hours at an alarming rate.

Unfortunately when comment is required on the health crisis de jour, the media often go to the AMA. The AMA is a union and inevitably the answer is “more funding”. Funding of what?

If you want to spend more money in health, open up training. The example of nurse training in Victoria is ideal but needs to be replicated across a number of skill groups.

I can tell you right now a number of state govt health initiatives from this election are going to be dead on arrival not because of money but because they can’t be staffed.
Pollies are addicted to announcements and big dollar splashes

more beds (never mind we can't staff the ones we have)
more hospitals (who's going to work there though when we have staffing shortages already)

same with roads, they love a new bridge or tunnel or freeway but won't pay to maintain what we have properly

schools, same

splash the cash on a headline and don't worry about the actual problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back