Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry, I won't stay long. Aussie politics bores the crap out of me. But LOL at people not knowing how contracts work ITT. Poison pill my ass, stop drinking the koolaid.
Well, if you are so knowledgeable perhaps you can quickly respond with the detail you think we're unaware of?

But don't take too long. Seeing as you've claimed to know this stuff, you shouldn't need time to research it.

And don't go to Quora and copy-and-paste someone else's answer and pass it off as your own, like you've done before.

Don't worry, I won't stay long. Aussie politics bores the crap out of me. But LOL at people not knowing how contracts work ITT. Poison pill my ass, stop drinking the koolaid.
It was an unnecessary side contract they signed just before the election after they knew Labor policy was to cancel the project. That is a poison pill. The fact that it was technically legal has no bearing. I know how contracts work only a ******* idiot would have set up that contract unless they actually meant to * over their opponent if they lost.

So this is the same development?

BTW, it's Herald Sun and so it says Labor "MPs slam Hurstbridge rail line plan as mayors give thumbs up". Surprise, surprise, it turns out the Labor MPs were pointing out the Liberals don't even have a candidate in Hurstbridge, rather than commenting about the rail plan.

No it's not the same development.

The Liberals want to extend dual track from Greensborough to Eltham, Labor's plan ends the dual track 4kms short at Montmorency, with further works up the line between Diamond Creek and Wattle Glen. My layman understanding is commuters from Eltham would gain greater benefit from the Liberal's plan then the alternative.

Surprise, surprise, it turns out the Labor MPs were pointing out the Liberals don't even have a candidate in Hurstbridge

Which is fake news. The Libs have had a candidate since mid-May.

I find Ratts romantic belief in a Labor outcome to next Victorian election rather against the evidence.

In the Age's last reachtel the Liberals had an 11 point (55 to 44) lead on which party was best on law and order.

That's an election winning lead on its own, without the Labor ministers likelihood of fronting up to criminal charges themselves.

Looking at Guy in action (who have not seen before) - he is not a timid, effete, born to privilege Liberal leader like Malcolm Turnbull.

He won't die wondering, that's for sure.

Gotta love it. Dan throws a cool billion down the drain canceling EWL, no one bats an eyelid. Now he's gonna lose the election over a separate measly 300k he ripped us off for.
No wonder you stay out of OZ Politics thread as you really don't know much.

How easy is it to forget how the LNP look after their mates.

The Liberals' treasurer Michael O'Brien signed a side letter in Sep (election in Nov) stating that compensation would be paid to the consortium even if a court subsequently found that the contract was "void or otherwise unenforceable".

Last edited:
No wonder your stay out of OZ Politics thread as you really don't know much.

How easy is it to forget how the LNP look after their mates.

The Liberals' treasurer Michael O'Brien signed a side letter in Sep (election in Nov) stating that compensation would be paid to the consortium even if a court subsequently found that the contract was "void or otherwise unenforceable".
Yep! Those responsible for the loss of those funds were the Liarberals who, against every convention, signed a contract on the eve of an election in order to look after their mates and in face of there being no proper cost/benefit study to support the proposal.

No it's not the same development.

The Liberals want to extend dual track from Greensborough to Eltham, Labor's plan ends the dual track 4kms short at Montmorency, with further works up the line between Diamond Creek and Wattle Glen. My layman understanding is commuters from Eltham would gain greater benefit from the Liberal's plan then the alternative.

Which is fake news. The Libs have had a candidate since mid-May.
Yep, hard to know what to believe when it's written in The Hun.

As for the rail plan, you'd think Labor being in Govt, having full access to civil servants, wouldn't have a different plan just for the sake of it. After all, they have hundreds of other differences compared to the LNP

As for the rail plan, you'd think Labor being in Govt, having full access to civil servants, wouldn't have a different plan just for the sake of it. After all, they have hundreds of other differences compared to the LNP
I believe the point of contention is a heritage listed rail bridge and the land that would need to be repurposed to build around it (cant knock it down to replace with a dual track bridge on the same footprint) in order to duplicate the whole track and that as it is only small section the amount of difference in capacity doesn't warrant the additional expense and effort to do so.

I find Ratts romantic belief in a Labor outcome to next Victorian election rather against the evidence.

In the Age's last reachtel the Liberals had an 11 point (55 to 44) lead on which party was best on law and order.

That's an election winning lead on its own, without the Labor ministers likelihood of fronting up to criminal charges themselves.

Looking at Guy in action (who have not seen before) - he is not a timid, effete, born to privilege Liberal leader like Malcolm Turnbull.

He won't die wondering, that's for sure.
Nice of you to try and cling to an ally, but you'll notice he couldn't answer the contract question, despite berating the rest of the thread for not knowing stuff. And he has been active ITT and around BF since then.

He's FOS... No wonder you're a fan.

The next sitting of the Legislative Assembly should be fun to watch...and more interesting than the equivalent from Canberra. Interesting to see how Daniel Andrews and the rest of the Labor government will handle the bombardment of questions coming from the Opposition at Question Time.

I have seen some headlines about some cop investigation into some alleged "red shirt" dodginess but no real coverage up here in Sydney.

Could a kind soul here post a brief summary of what's going and is it serious?

Thanks.
"Red Shirts" is a new name they're giving to something they were trying to get people to call "rorts-for-votes". It's a 2014/15 controversy being re-heated for this election via a request for Vic Police to investigate. Liberals get to say people were 'arrested' (for questioning) and that Labor is under investigation. In response, Labor referred 18 Liberal MPs to the Police too, because they also had staff who worked inappropriately on the election while being paid by the taxpayer.

Misuse of taxpayer funds is, of course, serious, but heaps of Ministerial staff would do political things during their normal job, because they're political people. So this seems a bit like the LNP pairing controversy, where they look for short-term gain, but get long-term pain from people, including Libs, getting bad press.

The facts are that Lenders was in charge of group of Labor staff that were employed to work on the 2014 election. They were also used in part as electorate officers for 21 MPs, and so some of their salary money was claimed as entitlements pooled from those MPs. The upper house referred it to the Ombudsman, who found the work done didn't justify the 40% claim. Labor apologised and had already paid back the $388K. But they did challeng the authority of the upper house to refer the issue, which cost about a million and failed. The Ombudsman found that Lenders had "crossed the line". Lenders said he knew it might be a stretch, but when civil servants authorised the payments, he kept doing it. He wasn't continuing in parliament, so appeared to just try it on. Not much of an excuse, and he's the 'scalp'. He'll quit his role as Chairman of VicTrack. The Liberals want to say Andrews and the MPs involved knew it was dodgy, but the Ombudsman disagreed.

So as the election loomed the Libs asked for an investigation by Police, and then - weirdly - there were early morning raids on old campaign staff. One ex-staffer who is trying to run as an independent said he was detained and strip searched. It's hard to know why that was required given Labor were cooperating, and it was so long after the initial issue. Let's hope Vic Pol aren't being misused like the Federal LNP have misused Border Force, AFP, ASIO, etc.

It hasn't had much cut-through at ground level (hence the 'red shirts' re-brand and roping in of Police) because it's all a bit administrative and Labor paid the money back. The legal challenge was a much larger cost, but has benefits beyond the case, so they have to spin that bit too. How hard the Libs go I guess relates to how scared they are about their staff not take leave during the 2014 caretaker period. Labor said that could've cost taxpayers as much as $2M.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never change
They may well change if charges are laid. My point wasn't fully explained, because DR would know this (and my posts are long enough), but MPs employ people they trust and often that will include people from their political party. The fact those people also do political things while working should surprise no-one. Just like in every single job you won't spend 100% of your time doing your exact tasks. The fact Labor isn't releasing the evidence suggests it's just small indicators of Liberal staff continuing to work during caretaker periods, or doing political work that can't be passed off as 'ministerial' or 'electorate' work or whatever.

The fact those people also do political things while working should surprise no-one. Just like in every single job you won't spend 100% of your time doing your exact tasks.
You're missing the point entirely. Time theft isn't the issue. I couldn't give a crap if they spent half their day on the can playing Angry Birds.

All decent democracies have pretty robust laws to prevent government resources being used for party political purposes, and you have to have a pretty warped ethical view to dismiss it as 'no big deal, everyone does it'.

You're missing the point entirely. Time theft isn't the issue. I couldn't give a crap if they spent half their day on the can playing Angry Birds.

All decent democracies have pretty robust laws to prevent government resources being used for party political purposes, and you have to have a pretty warped ethical view to dismiss it as 'no big deal, everyone does it'.
Good thing I never said that then. Instead I specifically said it was "of course, serious". See below. You narrowed in on was my observation that it would be unsurprising if there was something to Labor's claims against 18 LNP MPs because "heaps of Ministerial staff would do political things during their normal job".
Misuse of taxpayer funds is, of course, serious, but heaps of Ministerial staff would do political things during their normal job, because they're political people. So this seems a bit like the LNP pairing controversy, where they look for short-term gain, but get long-term pain from people, including Libs, getting bad press.
So your "never change" comment appears to be you agreeing with me and hoping I won't stop saying such sensible things? Thanks for the generous sentiment.

Good thing I never said that then. Instead I specifically said it was "of course, serious". See below. You narrowed in on was my observation that it would be unsurprising if there was something to Labor's claims against 18 LNP MPs because "heaps of Ministerial staff would do political things during their normal job".

So your "never change" comment appears to be you agreeing with me and hoping I won't stop saying such sensible things? Thanks for the generous sentiment.
The 'never change' was a reference to your lack of scruples about shilling for a political party on your employer's time.

It's not just about political types doing political things, the staff were pooled into marginal electorates were they not?
They were mostly paid for by Labor. The problem is they claimed 40% (2 days a week of work) as for the Labor MPs, and that wasn't reflected in the actual work. Hence the focus on timesheets and hence why Labor paid the money back. I think where they worked isn't important except as proof that there wasn't much 'electorate' work going on. Maybe you're right, though, and 'pooling resources' is "crossing the line" too. I haven't read the report.
The 'never change' was a reference to your lack of scruples about shilling for a political party on your employer's time.
So you didn't know what you were talking about before, and don't know what you're talking about now. You clearly embody 'never change'.

"Red Shirts" is a new name they're giving to something they were trying to get people to call "rorts-for-votes". It's a 2014/15 controversy being re-heated for this election via a request for Vic Police to investigate. Liberals get to say people were 'arrested' (for questioning) and that Labor is under investigation. In response, Labor referred 18 Liberal MPs to the Police too, because they also had staff who worked inappropriately on the election while being paid by the taxpayer.

The facts are that Lenders was in charge of group of Labor staff that were employed to work on the 2014 election. They were also used in part as electorate officers for 21 MPs, and so some of their salary money was claimed as entitlements pooled from those MPs. The upper house referred it to the Ombudsman, who found the work done didn't justify the 40% claim. Labor apologised and had already paid back the $388K. But they did challeng the authority of the upper house to refer the issue, which cost about a million and failed. The Ombudsman found that Lenders had "crossed the line". Lenders said he knew it might be a stretch, but when civil servants authorised the payments, he kept doing it. He wasn't continuing in parliament, so appeared to just try it on. Not much of an excuse, and he's the 'scalp'. He'll quit his role as Chairman of VicTrack. The Liberals want to say Andrews and the MPs involved knew it was dodgy, but the Ombudsman disagreed.

So as the election loomed the Libs asked for an investigation by Police, and then - weirdly - there were early morning raids on old campaign staff. One ex-staffer who is trying to run as an independent said he was detained and strip searched. It's hard to know why that was required given Labor were cooperating, and it was so long after the initial issue. Let's hope Vic Pol aren't being misused like the Federal LNP have misused Border Force, AFP, ASIO, etc.

It hasn't had much cut-through at ground level (hence the 'red shirts' re-brand and roping in of Police) because it's all a bit administrative and Labor paid the money back. The legal challenge was a much larger cost, but has benefits beyond the case, so they have to spin that bit too. How hard the Libs go I guess relates to how scared they are about their staff not take leave during the 2014 caretaker period. Labor said that could've cost taxpayers as much as $2M.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. Cheers.

Seems odd that it seemed settled via the Ombudsman and the money was repaid. Cop investigation now smells.

What's your prediction how this will play out?

Don't know about Ratts by my prediction is that the heavy handedness from the Police might backfire on the Liberals. Sure it works for the already converted but everyone else is like WTF? They would have been better to have just used the ombudsman findings in their election campaign.

Whole things seems to be mostly due to the Ombudsman Investigation not getting the result the Liberals wanted and a section of the party having thrown away all conventions, much like how they've destroyed pairing.

The more news comes in about violent carjackings, home invasions plus the rorts for votes scandal makes it that much harder for Daniel Andrews and his government to present a credible case to the electorate about why should they be given another 4 more years to govern Victoria.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. Cheers.

Seems odd that it seemed settled via the Ombudsman and the money was repaid. Cop investigation now smells.

I have no idea, to be honest. As you can see from Jascave's spin above, the LNP (and it's sympathetic media) will push it hard. But then a lot of people barely pay attention to the media. Dawn raids seem like an attempt to find a smoking gun. If they found something then it would be justified. But you'd bet they didn't, so it all seems dodgy. People will hear the LNP repeating 'scandal', 'dawn raids', 'police investigation', but Labor don't seem worried, and Guy doesn't have a good rep. If Labor fire back and say the Libs might've cost taxpayers five times as much money; used the Upper House to stop themselves being investigated; and point out Labor paid the money back once it was declared incorrect, then it could even work for them?

But in these situations of flinging accusations, presumably the incumbent is more at risk of people wanting to 'send a message' to politicians in general, and of course minor parties & independents could benefit. If anyone is listening. I don't feel there's a mood for change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back