Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Infrastructure Australia.

50c in the dollar is pathetic for urban road infrastructure

Plenty of country upgrades happen with lower cost benefit than that. But are justified on life saving criteria
Oh please. Have you actually driven along that road?. The eastern freeway is gridlock at 6am in the effing morning. It's crazy and will only get worse. Infrastructure Australia doesn't account for the impacts it will have on the housing market as it will enable people to live further out east nor the impacts it has on people's stress levels. We know what direction these impacts will be but the magnitudes are impossible to quantify which means they are just left out.

laam

All Australian
Aug 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh please. Have you actually driven along that road?. The eastern freeway is gridlock at 6am in the effing morning. It's crazy and will only get worse. Infrastructure Australia doesn't account for the impacts it will have on the housing market as it will enable people to live further out east nor the impacts it has on people's stress levels. We know what direction these impacts will be but the magnitudes are impossible to quantify which means they are just left out.
Yep and all that traffic (90%) is heading to the Cbd so they get off at Hoddle St. There were no cbd exits on East West link. Therefore no impact on the traffic getting off at hoddle. Therefore no impact on the traffic jam. The whole job was pointless without a cbd exit. Do it, but do it right with a cbd exit. As a tunnel they are very hard to modify after the fact so a great decision to cancel it so hopefully once it's eventually built this will be included and the road will actually be useful.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
On the basis of the opinion poll published in the Herald Sun today, if the 2018 state election was brought forward to next Saturday, the Andrews Labor Government would lose up to 18 seats, which will see the Coalition return to power after just 4 years in opposition. One of the 18 seats lost by Labor will be the Premier's, Daniel Andrews. And it will open the door for Jane Garrett to be the new leader of the Labor Party.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the basis of the opinion poll published in the Herald Sun today, if the 2018 state election was brought forward to next Saturday, the Andrews Labor Government would lose up to 18 seats, which will see the Coalition return to power after just 4 years in opposition. One of the 18 seats lost by Labor will be the Premier's, Daniel Andrews. And it will open the door for Jane Garrett to be the new leader of the Labor Party.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As much as this would be a dream, the fact remains that opinion polls are as accurate as I am when it comes to lashing out (I.e. Not always)

They surveyed 1100 people and extrapolated that to come up with a result. The fact remains that most Victorians are ALP Voters and yes, there might be a swing but not 18 seats worth.

Mar 4, 2009
kanamaluka
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hurricanes
17022294_1618724388156524_3068942657444466923_n.jpg

A first-term Victorian Labor premier so fare behind in polling is surely not the norm? One Nation easily outpolling the Greens is surprising. I imagine the Nationals would be taking a hit.

You know when you step on gum and it stick to your shoes, sometimes you cant get it all from the indentments on the bottom of your boots?

Well that little bit of gum that you can't get out is more useful than this idiot.

Salaries for politicians/premiers/prime minister should be over $1m. At least then you will attract some astute corporate and businessmen/women rather than their career politicians.

This fool has a Bchelor of Arts (which you can wipe your ass with). Has no business experiance and yet somehow he is deemed fit enough to run the state?

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
17022294_1618724388156524_3068942657444466923_n.jpg

A first-term Victorian Labor premier so fare behind in polling is surely not the norm? One Nation easily outpolling the Greens is surprising. I imagine the Nationals would be taking a hit.

Does the last table suggest push polling?
Also taken before the full details of dep speaker known so could get worse

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
You know when you step on gum and it stick to your shoes, sometimes you cant get it all from the indentments on the bottom of your boots?

Well that little bit of gum that you can't get out is more useful than this idiot.

Salaries for politicians/premiers/prime minister should be over $1m. At least then you will attract some astute corporate and businessmen/women rather than their career politicians.

This fool has a Bchelor of Arts (which you can wipe your ass with). Has no business experiance and yet somehow he is deemed fit enough to run the state?

Cos ted Bailleu was such a success?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
This wouldn't have been a poll of Herald Sun readers would it? If it was I'm surprised they're only going to lose 18 seats.

Farm Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda

Yeah that is how I see as well. Just out of his depth. I think he is a bully, and people have gradually seen through it. Tries to override legislation all the time, thinks he is above the law. It is like the law does not exist in his mind. He has scant disregard for the law. I don't think he is a very smart guy either.

workhorse

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics

Christ the EWL whining will never cease will it.

If it had proceeded to completion, the entire EWL project would have cost in excess of $22.8 billion in nominal terms. Limitations in the business case meant there was little assurance that the prioritisation of significant state resources to this project was soundly based.

Key decisions during the project planning, development and procurement phases were driven by an overriding sense of urgency to sign the contract before the November 2014 state election. The significant risks arising from this situation were further compounded by legal challenges to the project and by the absence of comprehensive advice on the potential benefits of deferring the signing of the contract.

Signing the contract in these circumstances was imprudent and exposed the state to significant cost and risk. The risks associated with this decision were increased when the state agreed to amend the contract to provide additional compensation to EWC if the legal challenge to the project planning approval succeeded. The available evidence suggests that the state knew at the time that there was a significant risk that this would happen.

They are the words of the Victorian Auditor General published in the VAGO East-West Link Report which you can read here http://www.audit.vic.gov.au/publications/20151209-East-West-Link/20151209-East-West-Link.pdf

The EWL Link was a dog financially. The initial business case assessed the project as having a benefit-cost ratio of 0.45. 45c returned for every dollar spent. Even with your immeasurable WEBs the BCR still only stood at 0.84. It took the government adding in the benefits of "complementary" projects - i.e. projects that were completely separate measures - to get to a questionable BCR of 1.4. The documents that Andrews revealed, which Napthine had refused to, after he won the election revealed the government did not release to full business case to Infrastructure Australia because they were worried the low BCR "may be used as a justification for not supporting the project"

Not to mention the dodgy financial close Michael O'Brien rushed to finish with the EWC 3 days before the election which guaranteed them a payout if the project was scrapped. The EWC had agreed to wait until a week after the election for financial close but the government rushed it through so as to hamstring Andrews and the tax payer no matter what happened at the election. The Napthine government showed nothing but pure contempt for the Victorian tax payers and that has not been reported enough.

It wasn't just the dodgy politics - the road as it were proposed did not stack up. The original business case stated only 13% of peak traffic use the Eastern Freeway to access the Western Suburbs. Nearly 9 out of 10 cars get off at Hoddle Street to go to the CBD or South East, despite the road connecting the east and west of melbourne. Proposed toll revenue fell remarkably short of the costs leaving tax payers with a multi-billion dollar black hole.

These aren't my opinions, these are facts.

My opinion, as I stated (I think) in this thread a few pages back, is that there are two major infrastructure projects that will ease congestion on the Eastern. The North-East Link connecting the Ring Road and Eastlink. Allowing cars and trucks to travel freely from East-West and vice-versa around the city as opposed to through/under will:
- mean accessing the airport from the East/South-East will be done entirely on a freeway.
- mean trucks will be taken off the local roads in the North East suburbs (where 6 out of the 10 most congested parts of Melbourne are) as well as the city exits of the Eastern freeway, Hoddle St, Royal Parade etc.
- mean people living in the Northern/North-Eastern suburbs will have easier access to the Eastern and South Eastern suburbs, again easing congestion on local roads such as Fitzsimons Lane, Bulleen Road and Rosanna Road.

The second is Doncaster Rail. The space is there. Straight down the Eastern Freeway from Doncaster to Clifton Hill (and then on to the city). Stops in Bulleen, Balwyn North and Kew/East Kew. Takes people travelling from the inner-eastern suburbs off the freeway and into Public Transport.

People need to let go of the EWL. It should not be built as is (or was). It was a dud project and a waste of money. Until provisions are made to make it viable in terms of it's benefits justifying the cost, the EWL needs to remain firmly in the bin.

workhorse

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I'm not particularly a huge fan of Andrews. I'm not a rusted on Labor voter (or rusted on voter of any particular party) I follow his Facebook page and so much of the stuff he posts is far too PC/left for me. I've stated plenty of times I'm impressed with the infrastructure work - the level-crossing removal, MMR Tunnel etc. and his pledge to build the North East Link is a big factor for me being a resident of the grid-locked North East Suburbs. Legalising medicinal marijuana and pledging to retain Safe Schools if the Federal Government gut it are two really positive policies that have largely gone unreported, especially in comparison to the EWL contract, CFA stuff etc. However, the CFA/UFU debacle, the Speaker/Deputy Speaker debacle among other things mean I'm still not sold on him.

I would, however, most certainly take him and his government over Matthew Guy and the Liberal Party. More of a case of the lesser of two evils than Andrews being a great leader and leading a great government. I do, however, think the reporting of his reign so far has been biased and unfair. I understand scandals sell papers but I feel as though if everything that has occurred so far under Andrews had occurred under the Napthine (or Guy) government, we would not hear about it in such a negative light.

Edit - on the recent polls: if they're published by the Herald Sun you'd be taking them with a grain of salt no doubt. I don't know anything about Reachtel (who conducted the poll) but I don't think it's as big an issue as being made out. (AKA "Andrews government in damage control" as being reported) The timing of the poll will no doubt have helped with the Speark/Deputy Speaker entitlement rort and the Weribee South Youth Justice centre upsetting voters.

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm not particularly a huge fan of Andrews. I'm not a rusted on Labor voter (or rusted on voter of any particular party) I follow his Facebook page and so much of the stuff he posts is far too PC/left for me. I've stated plenty of times I'm impressed with the infrastructure work - the level-crossing removal, MMR Tunnel etc. and his pledge to build the North East Link is a big factor for me being a resident of the grid-locked North East Suburbs. Legalising medicinal marijuana and pledging to retain Safe Schools if the Federal Government gut it are two really positive policies that have largely gone unreported, especially in comparison to the EWL contract, CFA stuff etc. However, the CFA/UFU debacle, the Speaker/Deputy Speaker debacle among other things mean I'm still not sold on him.

I would, however, most certainly take him and his government over Matthew Guy and the Liberal Party. More of a case of the lesser of two evils than Andrews being a great leader and leading a great government. I do, however, think the reporting of his reign so far has been biased and unfair. I understand scandals sell papers but I feel as though if everything that has occurred so far under Andrews had occurred under the Napthine (or Guy) government, we would not hear about it in such a negative light.

Edit - on the recent polls: if they're published by the Herald Sun you'd be taking them with a grain of salt no doubt. I don't know anything about Reachtel (who conducted the poll) but I don't think it's as big an issue as being made out. (AKA "Andrews government in damage control" as being reported) The timing of the poll will no doubt have helped with the Speark/Deputy Speaker entitlement rort and the Weribee South Youth Justice centre upsetting voters.
Id agree that the poll is from an outfit with not alot of history in political polling.

But cutting down iconic 100 year old trees for no good reason has got alot of people pissed off.

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
This wouldn't have been a poll of Herald Sun readers would it? If it was I'm surprised they're only going to lose 18 seats.

Say what you like about it's content, but its the newspaper with comfortably the highest circulation figures in Victoria

Mar 19, 2004
Why do you care?
I do, however, think the reporting of his reign so far has been biased and unfair. I understand scandals sell papers but I feel as though if everything that has occurred so far under Andrews had occurred under the Napthine (or Guy) government, we would not hear about it in such a negative light.

You didn't read The Age much in the Geoff Shaw days then did you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back