Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
This is part 1.

Part two of this discussion is here:

========

With Daniel Andrews now coming up to his first year as Premier of Victoria, how would you rate him and his government so far, and what does he needs to do in the run up to the 2018 Victorian State Election?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
To a point, he's done exactly what he promised to do before the election. He ripped up the East West Contracts and changed Melbourne Metro (again). The paramedics had their pay dispute settled very shortly after the election.

One has to remember how short a period it was between drinks for Victorian Labor. Mr Andrews came right in and put his stamp straight away - he's appointed a new head of the public service by dinnertime the day after the election. In contrast Mr Baillieu kept the existing DPC Secretary and locked himself and his government away in 1 Treasury Place for two years.

It will be very interesting to see what happens in 2018, and whether we've entered a period of supreme instability in Victorian State Politics. The swing needed to unseat Mr Andrews is not very large, and the residents of the Frankston line (Bentleigh, Mordialloc, Carrum & Frankston) are getting a reputation for changing their minds quickly. On the other hand, 2002 could be possible if things fall the right way, but Dr Napthine was already getting heavily white-anted by this time in 2000, while Matthew Guy seems like he leads a unremarkably united team at the moment (and a Coalition team - by 2000 the Nats had gone out on their own again).

The thing about Daniel Andrews and his government is that once they announce a commitment, they stick to it. A good case in mind was the Grand Final Eve public holiday. When it was announced by the then Labor Opposition in 2011 that the day before the AFL Grand Final would be a public holiday, the plan was slammed by the then Coalition government, and the Victorian business community as saying that Victoria was 'closed for business'. When Labor won government, the grand final eve public holiday was made official and despite continuing criticism from the Coalition Opposition and the business community, it was a hit with the general public and looks like it could be here to stay.

A surprise that a public holiday was a hit with the general public.

It is an ideal time for a public holiday, but should have replaced one of the many holidays we get between Christmas and Anzac Day.

Labor will:

• Restore confidence in V/Line
• Invest in additional rolling stock, and expanded and extended regional rail services where appropriate, in line with our prudent approach to budget management
• Improve service frequency, reliability and punctuality​

I'm still waiting

Tony Abbott must be wondering how he could stuff up a first term in government whereas Daniel Andrews is making it look so simple. However Andrews will have more trouble to deal with between now and the 2018 State Election. Expect to see more industrial trouble rear its head over the coming weeks and months, and also News Limited will turn up the heat on the Premier in more ways than one. After all one can recall what the Herald Sun editorial said after Labor's win last year...'we will hold this government to account.'

With Daniel Andrews now coming up to his first year as Premier of Victoria, how would you rate him and his government so far, and what does he needs to do in the run up to the 2018 Victorian State Election?

Interested in GuruJane's thoughts..

Labor will:

• Restore confidence in V/Line
• Invest in additional rolling stock, and expanded and extended regional rail services where appropriate, in line with our prudent approach to budget management
• Improve service frequency, reliability and punctuality​

I'm still waiting
That old chestnut.

Move to Melbourne you tight ass, or get a job in your local supermarket collecting trolley's.

You're as bad as those idiots that buy a house next to an airport and then complain about the noise from air traffic :rolleyes:

Didn't waste any time repaying unions for their support. Very large and totally unjustifiable increase in public sector wage bill. Public servants did well everyone else got shafted.

No wonder Paz scores an 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't waste any time repaying unions for their support. Very large and totally unjustifiable increase in public sector wage bill. Public servants did well everyone else got shafted.

No wonder Paz scores an 8.

So you are saying the paramedics, police, teachers for example don't deserve pay rises? That's the public sector wage increase. Next group is the firefighters of the MFB, and paid members of the CFA. Are they also not worthy?

That old chestnut.

Move to Melbourne you tight ass, or get a job in your local supermarket collecting trolley's.

You're as bad as those idiots that buy a house next to an airport and then complain about the noise from air traffic :rolleyes:

Nonsense. It's not the Vline commuters who are to blame for Labor not meeting their election commitments :rolleyes:

Nonsense. It's not the Vline commuters who are to blame for Labor not meeting their election commitments :rolleyes:

I think part of the problem lies in just how bad the country has been treated by successive Governments since Kirner got thrown out.

Case in point - Mildura.

I remember the old Vinelander running daily as a kid. Hasn't run for 20 years or more. Kennett, Bracks, Brumby, Baillieu did nothing and it would seem Andrews isn't either. My guess is there isn't money in it.

They've only been in one year, still have three years to meet them. Given the Libs did stuff all for four years, including doing zilch for VLine to Geelong (hence your voting for them :rolleyes:), it takes a while to catch up.

They've only been in one year, still have three years to meet them. Given the Libs did stuff all for four years, including doing zilch for VLine to Geelong (hence your voting for them :rolleyes:), it takes a while to catch up.

Who did I vote for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back