Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

and so did andrews, who again is in charge of the fire services
So the Premiers have nowhere to hide ... nor should they.

Andrews didn't hide and came back immediately. Morrison posted pics by the beach while his country burned.
We know states are in charge of fire responses. Considering these were the worst fires on record, the low death rate, I'd say they were handled exceptionally well by the state departments.

I assume he passed it on to the states who are responsible for fires. Given Morrison gave Andrews 10 months notice, what did Andrews do?

Try to gut the rural fire service and put his city union mates in charge?

Cut burn offs to 2009 levels despite the Royal Commission finding burn offs needed to be double the 2009 levels?

Say nothing when green groups blockaded and protested against burn offs in Gippsland?

The Royal Commission has recently shown hazard reduction had no effects on fire behaviour last summer. Which is no surprise, it's been shown before for catastrophic fire days.
You think Springvale should still be part of the CFA? The system was antiquated and in need of an update.
If you're worried about burn offs being impacted. Climate change is the biggest issue there, do you'd better campaign against that.

The last time both the Age and the Herald Sun took pot shots at a Victorian Premier was the late John Cain junior in 1990, and now it seems the same thing is happening again with Daniel Andrews in 2020.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

The Royal Commission has recently shown hazard reduction had no effects on fire behaviour last summer.

That has been presented to the Royal Commission, but the RC is yet to report. I'd suggest it will NOT be as straight forward as you suggest across all bush fire effected ground & will be the subject of recommendations.

That has been presented to the Royal Commission, but the RC is yet to report. I'd suggest it will NOT be as straight forward as you suggest across all bush fire effected ground & will be the subject of recommendations.
Yes, I look forward to seeing further information come out.

Back to the quarantine balls up. Do we know if there were multiple security guards who brought covid out, or just the one?

The last time both the Age and the Herald Sun took pot shots at a Victorian Premier was the late John Cain junior in 1990, and now it seems the same thing is happening again with Daniel Andrews in 2020.

Well you can argue about Andrews' record before this, even the impact of the BLM march.

But this hotel quarantine story is by far the biggest stuff up i can remember in Victorian politics.

Andrews didn't hide and came back immediately. Morrison posted pics by the beach while his country burned.
We know states are in charge of fire responses. Considering these were the worst fires on record, the low death rate, I'd say they were handled exceptionally well by the state departments.

The Royal Commission has recently shown hazard reduction had no effects on fire behaviour last summer. Which is no surprise, it's been shown before for catastrophic fire days.
You think Springvale should still be part of the CFA? The system was antiquated and in need of an update.
If you're worried about burn offs being impacted. Climate change is the biggest issue there, do you'd better campaign against that.

Which Royal Commission is that? The current one which hasnt made findings ?

So what youre saying is there was a submission saying this. Not that its actually true.

I do wonder why it was true 10 years ago and things were fine when burn offs were happening then when rates returned to 2009 levels we had major fires again.

Amazing coincidence.

Well you can argue about Andrews' record before this, even the impact of the BLM march.

But this hotel quarantine story is by far the biggest stuff up i can remember in Victorian politics.

Pyramid and getting debt in Swiss francs outweigh this pretty easily

Which Royal Commission is that? The current one which hasnt made findings ?

So what youre saying is there was a submission saying this. Not that its actually true.

I do wonder why it was true 10 years ago and things were fine when burn offs were happening then when rates returned to 2009 levels we had major fires again.

Amazing coincidence.
Of course it's not the final findings, the commission is still underway. Research following 2008s fires also showed minimal benefit of hazard reduction during those catastrophic conditions.
Poor old NSW. Reached 106% of their targets and still got scorched.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet Noble Park and Keysborough are still CFA, wow, they moved the border a few kms and everyone is happy, how great!

Btw can you please explain how FRV provides such a better service for the people of Springvale than what the CFA did? Is it seriously you lot are that upset at the name Country Fire Authority? Because the people of Springvale currently receive the exact same truck and the exact same people that they did on June 30th. But we spent hundreds of millions to change a logo basically.

I don't look forward to getting back to work, but apparently it's a bit of a cluster* so far and to no ones surprise, nothing was actually ready to go last week. The change happened and they went, oh we better continue business as usual because as we were told by everyone, the deadline was completely unrealistic.

So now you have 2 different services operating out of one building with no formal agreement, no rules over who can use what, who pays for what, nothing. The radio system is a complete and utter shambles. And when summer comes around, the first truck out the door in most of those FRV stations will no longer be the most appropriate appliance for the job because we no longer have any choice nor do FRV have any capability to respond off road.

But that's the fire service Victorians deserve, pay the union, look after the city and * the rest of the state.

Yet Noble Park and Keysborough are still CFA, wow, they moved the border a few kms and everyone is happy, how great!

Btw can you please explain how FRV provides such a better service for the people of Springvale than what the CFA did? Is it seriously you lot are that upset at the name Country Fire Authority? Because the people of Springvale currently receive the exact same truck and the exact same people that they did on June 30th. But we spent hundreds of millions to change a logo basically.

I don't look forward to getting back to work, but apparently it's a bit of a clusterfu** so far and to no ones surprise, nothing was actually ready to go last week. The change happened and they went, oh we better continue business as usual because as we were told by everyone, the deadline was completely unrealistic.

So now you have 2 different services operating out of one building with no formal agreement, no rules over who can use what, who pays for what, nothing. The radio system is a complete and utter shambles. And when summer comes around, the first truck out the door in most of those FRV stations will no longer be the most appropriate appliance for the job because we no longer have any choice nor do FRV have any capability to respond off road.

But that's the fire service Victorians deserve, pay the union, look after the city and fu** the rest of the state.
can't vote against him if you aren't alive

The Age has been a conservative newspaper since 9 acquired it so no surprise it’s joined the pile on

Of course it's not the final findings, the commission is still underway. Research following 2008s fires also showed minimal benefit of hazard reduction during those catastrophic conditions.
Poor old NSW. Reached 106% of their targets and still got scorched.

The 2010 Royal Commission disagrees.

But what would they know.

In The Age tomorrow https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...ked-down-housing-estates-20200706-p559jm.html

"The security company linked to the biggest coronavirus outbreak in a quarantine hotel also provided guards for the North Melbourne and Flemington public housing estates now under a hard lockdown.

MSS Security was guarding the Stamford Plaza, the city hotel at the heart of an outbreak in which 42 people comprising guards, their families and close contacts have now been infected.

Until the dramatic intervention by the state government on Saturday, MSS also provided security guards at the nine housing estates in North Melbourne and Flemington now under lockdown.

A Department of Health and Human Services spokeswoman said it was unlikely MSS guards had been the cause of the spread of coronavirus in the locked-down public housing towers – where Premier Daniel Andrews said on Monday there were now 53 positive cases.

"There is currently no known link between the security guards working on the estates and the outbreaks in these towers," the department spokeswoman said.

They better hope there is no link

In The Age tomorrow https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...ked-down-housing-estates-20200706-p559jm.html

"The security company linked to the biggest coronavirus outbreak in a quarantine hotel also provided guards for the North Melbourne and Flemington public housing estates now under a hard lockdown.

MSS Security was guarding the Stamford Plaza, the city hotel at the heart of an outbreak in which 42 people comprising guards, their families and close contacts have now been infected.

Until the dramatic intervention by the state government on Saturday, MSS also provided security guards at the nine housing estates in North Melbourne and Flemington now under lockdown.

A Department of Health and Human Services spokeswoman said it was unlikely MSS guards had been the cause of the spread of coronavirus in the locked-down public housing towers – where Premier Daniel Andrews said on Monday there were now 53 positive cases.

"There is currently no known link between the security guards working on the estates and the outbreaks in these towers," the department spokeswoman said.

He is having a shocker! If this goes south surely he will have to consider resigning?

Let's put the spin aside and agree that it's at the very least, highly possible!

Might be in lock down meself by the end of the day if there's any spread in the North Richmond flats...

Yarra City Council will on Tuesday urge the government to test every resident of the 12 towers in its municipality, and transfer anyone who tests positive to an isolation hotel, rather than subject more tower residents to lockdown0.
Why the * isn't the above happening anyway??

The 2010 Royal Commission disagrees.

But what would they know.
Just like when Drs used to say smoking was healthy.
We've had further research conducted by experts in the field since then. Fire chiefs have repeatedly said climate change is the biggest issue. I'm happy to take the most up to date from academic and field experts. But you do you.

I don't look forward to getting back to work, but apparently it's a bit of a clusterfu** so far and to no ones surprise, nothing was actually ready to go last week. The change happened and they went, oh we better continue business as usual because as we were told by everyone, the deadline was completely unrealistic.

But that's the fire service Victorians deserve, pay the union, look after the city and fu** the rest of the state.
Change is difficult for people to adapt to. And if the CFA is anything like most other volunteer organisations, having older members makes that change more difficult. As a mate from Mildura told me, most of the volunteers local to him are numpties, so that will probably impede their ability to understand or cope with the change. Now that's only a reflection upon one brigade, not to be extrapolated access the state.
A lot of change success depends on the attitudes of the people in the organisation. If too many go in with a s**t attitude, it can go south very quickly. I know at Warrandyte, they're excited by the potential for increased autonomy as a stand alone volunteer organisation. They've had a boost in volunteer applications this year and are excited to see how the integrated stations can improve command control during peak times.
Funding is at record levels, so Andrews is supporting it financially. I guess the risk is cuts to public spending from a future LNP government. Just look at the cluster* with Centrelink recently after years of cuts from the federals.
As for the suburbanites, they probably have little idea of the change going on around them. But overall, a more professional service located bear the bulk of the population should help them get the service they deserve, instead of the current situation where response targets are not being met.

Just like when Drs used to say smoking was healthy.
We've had further research conducted by experts in the field since then. Fire chiefs have repeatedly said climate change is the biggest issue. I'm happy to take the most up to date from academic and field experts. But you do you.

Change is difficult for people to adapt to. And if the CFA is anything like most other volunteer organisations, having older members makes that change more difficult. As a mate from Mildura told me, most of the volunteers local to him are numpties, so that will probably impede their ability to understand or cope with the change. Now that's only a reflection upon one brigade, not to be extrapolated access the state.
A lot of change success depends on the attitudes of the people in the organisation. If too many go in with a sh*t attitude, it can go south very quickly. I know at Warrandyte, they're excited by the potential for increased autonomy as a stand alone volunteer organisation. They've had a boost in volunteer applications this year and are excited to see how the integrated stations can improve command control during peak times.
Funding is at record levels, so Andrews is supporting it financially. I guess the risk is cuts to public spending from a future LNP government. Just look at the clusterfu** with Centrelink recently after years of cuts from the federals.
As for the suburbanites, they probably have little idea of the change going on around them. But overall, a more professional service located bear the bulk of the population should help them get the service they deserve, instead of the current situation where response targets are not being met.

Fire chiefs?

Or former fire chiefs who formed a left wing lobbying group ?

Let’s assume that Daniel Andrews, Jenny Mikakos and Lisa Neville are all forced to resign over Victoria’s handling of the Coronavirus crisis. Who would take over their portfolios if that was to happen?

Yeah how dare the PM take a holiday over Christmas, he should be made to work 365 days of the year...

I remember the old days of Bracks as premier, Acting Premier Brumby was always on the news. Don’t remember anyone abusing Bracks for taking soo much time off.

But no one cares where the premiers are, Andrews was on holidays for weeks before anyone noticed and his state was actually on fire. But of course holidays have to be in designated places now...

So, you don't like the fact that Morrison was called out for his Hawaiian vacation?

How do you feel then with him doing it secretly without announcing who was deputising and for what period?

I think as taxpayers and voters we are entitled to know who is running our country at any given time.

But maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back