FTA-TV How would you rate Nine's AFL coverage 2002-06?

Remove this Banner Ad

If Channel Nine do get the AFL TV rights, however I doubt it'll be up to the very high standard that we saw when Nine had the rights from 2002-06, seeing that Nine had spent so much on winning the rights to the 2012 London Olympics. Nine may not have enough money to spend on its AFL coverage in regards to production costs and securing commentators and taking the coverage around Australia.

I just hate their 4pm sunday match, on two hour delay and not even showing the full match. If they played the 1pm match and twilight matches live, it would be great

Decent coverage but commentators were shithouse. Brayshaw :thumbsdown: Lyon :thumbsdown: Mcguire :thumbsdown:

However it's the polar opposite of Seven. Terrible Coverage but decent commentators :confused:

This is where debate about Nien's coverage should start and end. Chuck BT and Dermie in there, and you'll have a flogfest to end all flogfests.

No Worse than the Flogfest on Channel 10

Coverage of games were OK, but scheduling was pathetic. There were times when they cut away from the Sunday game at 3:55PM in the north just to get in 5 minutes of ads before the NRL game. The edited 4PM game in the Southern States was shown at 1AM after a E-Grade movie. FNF was shown at 11:30 (if at all) after Nightline that showed the final scores. We didn't get ANY pre-season cup matches apart from the final (and even one year it wasn't shown at all up here, Adelaide vs Collingwood 2003). But the worst thing I felt was that they had a little too much influence on the draw, particularly in regards to Friday Nights. We had to put up with the same old teams (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon) on FNF way too often. Heck even late in 2002 when out of finals contention they had Hawthorn on FNF for the last 3 weeks of the season.

It's not that 7 are any better, but I'd rather not go back to midnight AFL starts because 9's attitude to sports on multi-channels (or even their main channels) apart from League and Racing is just as bad if not worse.

Ed, Gaz and JB. I loved them then on 9. These days i turn down the volume on the TV and listen to thier calls on the radio. Much more entertaining

Ego. They didn't care about the game - only about over-hyping the players in it. And only the select few of the players that were in the "stable".

The problem with linking CURRENT players on TFS and then pumping up their tyres on match day doesn't allow for criticism of said players when errors are made.

The camera work was poor - you'd think after telecasting cricket for 25 years before taking over, they'd have some idea of doing it properly. Failed miserably.

Was interstate for most of those years and 9 was ****ing horrible to try and catch a game in some states in addition to having crappy commentators so all up I rate them at about ch7 level if not maybe a little less.

There are few at 9 who like to take cheap shots at 7 but I reckon they do a reasonable job. Certainly no worse than 9.

I find I turn the sound down these days as the standard of calling is ordinary on all the commercial channels and Foxtel. Just wish there wasn't an annoying delay between the telly and radio coverage cos I reckon 774 have the best callers. Why can't they fix that in these technologically advanced days btw?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind 7's commentary but their constant delays and ads are unacceptable. Would love them not to get it again. I liked Channel 9 - BT is good.

Sevens coverage from pre 2001 was the best.
Now them and 9 are s**t.
Bruce is finished and 7 stuffed up by not using what worked for em in 2001 when they got the rights back.
Fox footy was awesome. You could use crowd noise as the only volume and that worked a treat.
When i watch the footy i know what the ****s goin on.
I dont need someone to describe it to me.
The best coverage of footy is like your there.
When the crowd roars BALL i wanna hear it.
When a goal gets kicked when a mark gets taken.
7 and 10 are hopeless. If footy on telly can be improved theatrically then do it right. ATM we have no choice but to watch it failing miserably.

This year marks 20 years since Nine got the AFL rights from 7 alongside 10 and Fox Footy V1.0

Didn‘t mind the coverage as a kid with Friday night footy called by Dennis and Eddie plus special comments from Garry Lyon. Sunday footy was aired live at 11.10am in which they did a decent job.

As has been mentioned in this thread it was a disaster for the game in nsw and qld.
Friday nights at midnight or not at all.
Sunday afternoon at 2am Monday or Tuesday morning or not at all.
Staggering incompetence, even by AFL standards.

Not sure I like the Sunday 4:00pm highlights package of the 2:10pm game. At least with Ten they would show the 2:10pm Saturday game in full (but on delay) from 3:00pm. There was no other way to watch the game in full.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back