Remove this Banner Ad

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
Sorry if there's already a thread like this - I did a search, and then looked through this board a bit, and I didn't find one. So, how did you each become Hawk fans? Here's my story, I think it's a pretty good one.

I was born in the morning on February 16th 1984. My Uncle is a mad Hawks supporter, and he sent me Hawks Jumper which arrived later in the day. So I’ve literally been a hawthorn supporter since the day I was born! The first football I can remember was in 1989, I sort of remember the preliminary final where Geelong beat Essendon.

So I remember two premierships, but only barely. I’ve been waiting my whole life to see us become a great team again, I thought we had arrived in 2001, and then tasted bitter disappointment in 2002. I was upset that we had traded Croad away, but it turned out that they did the right thing, because we got Hodge (1), Ladson (16), Elstone (20), Campbell Brown (32), and Mitchell (36) from that draft.

It feels really good to be a Hawk supporter now, having endured for so long to see us now finally put together such an amazing team. GO HAWKS!! :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

My biological parents bartered me with the pumpikin seed man at Sunday market, he happened to be an Essendon supporter so it's strange that I follow Hawthorn.

Showing my age now. Met Peter Hudson as a 5 year old. Then my first footy memory was watching him go for the 151 in the '71 Grand final and crying in the last quarter when he didn't get it even though the Hawks won the premiership.

Was seriously spoiled in the next 20 years!

Looking fwd to the next era of domination. Starting this year!

Neither of my parents really like football or support anyone actively. Mum is a geelong supporter and Dad if he had to choose would say collingwood (thank god he didn't influence me lol).

Somehow I got lured into going to the footy at a young age with family friends of ours who were all hawthorn mad. Very grateful for this as I now am a huge hawks supporter!

go hawks :)

Was 6 years old and my Grand parents were ex south melb supporters and had given it away when the moved away. They owned a poster of dermie and from then i was a hawk. That was 13yrs ago

I wonder if anyone will say the colours were the reason they became a hawk.

Well, as a matter of fact........

When I moved to Oz and started primary school it quickly became evident that one needed to barrack for a footy team. Always wanting to be my own man (or 5 yo boy) I did a quick survey of the class and discovered that they were mainly Tigers or Pies supporters. There were only 2 teams not loved by anyone in the class - the Hawks and the Swans (South Melb back then for all you young ones.)

Now here's the punchline - I didn't like the South Melb colours as they were mostly all white, so I chose the Hawks colours instead!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

True Story.

Also, I hadn't heard of any of the Swans players, but I had heard of some of the Hawks players like Matthews, Scott, Knights, etc.

So there you have it - exactly 1 of the club's 40,000+ members chose the team because of the lovely brown and gold colours. (And yes, the other kids did refer to them as "sht and pss".)

Cheers.

My dad's side of the family are all mad North supporters (you have to be), so I got to met Keith Greig and Wayne Schimmlebusch as a kid.
But the heartbreak my dad and uncles went through during the 1976 Grand Final was enough for me to want to support the vicious bastards who did that to them.

C'arn the Hawks.

Was playing U 19 amateurs in 1982, picked up by a club scout after a game where I kicked a couple, was recruited by HFC later that year, and played about 50 odd games during the 80s. Never played in a winning GF sadly, but had a crack and played with some of the great legends of the game.

Just hours after my birth, a hospital worker left the windows open in the maternity ward. A large hawk flew through the window, snatched me from my crib, and flew me to her nest in a tree high above Glenferrie. After being raised on the wing, my hawk mother realised that i must be returned to my own kind. She dressed my in a guernsey made of her brown and gold plummage and flew me down to the oval. I AM HAWTHORN.

............and i drink too much.

My mum followed Collingwood and so did I as a kid, but one day I was swooped by a magpie, so I told them to get stuffed and followed my dad's team, which was Hawthorn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like many Tasmanians, it was Huddo. I met Peter Knights as a kid in Myer in Hobart not long after. I didn't need much convincing.

Yup. Best Guernsey in the comp. Way better than that drab ****in' blue and white stripe s**t you've got going on.

Have you ever considered that your players are underrated and membership undermanned because you look like s**t-lazy small town butchers?

Honestly, I had no family ties to any team, so had to pick a team as a little kid in the mid/late 80's. I went for jumper, television coverage, recognisable players and, of course, winning percentage. Never looked back since.

And all other guernseys look shithouse to me.

So there you have it - exactly 1 of the club's 40,000+ members chose the team because of the lovely brown and gold colours. (And yes, the other kids did refer to them as "sht and pss".)

Cheers.

Overly presumptuous.

Apart from the silly "poo'n'wee" comparison, what **** is wrong with brown and gold? Beautiful, earthy and unique. Best looking jumper around. And who the **** has ever heard of a BLUE bird of prey? Strap-ons...

My dad, grandad and uncle were all Hawthorn supporters which inevitably meant that I became a Hawthorn supporter growing up in the 80's. Then I went to Primary School with John Platten's nephew (late 80's) and actually went to South Australia for a week to stay with the extended Platten family.

So that just guaranteed my allegiance to the mighty Hawks.

My mother and father split up and neither of them watched or were involved with sport - especially football.
Went to stay with my Dad one holidays (he lived in Victoria) and my cousin and I got up one morning and football was on the telly.
It was Hawthorn vs Essendon - I went for the Hawks (because they were Hawks and I was 5) and he went for the Bombers (because he's never been very bright).
It was 1982 and the Hawks won. Since then, I saw a lot of Grand Finals but didn't get to see the Hawks play all that much - VFL wasn't really big in SA AND my parents hated football.
Years later the Crows came into the competition so I decided to support them as well - gotta support your home town - unless they played the Hawks.
After Port came into the competition, I realised I couldn't support 3 teams, and I couldn't support one local team but not the other, so I support neither and I'm solely a Hawks supporter.
Strangely, while I always followed them, my passion really built for them when we were getting our bums handed to us week-in, week-out during 2004-2006. At the end of 2006 I thought "Gee, it's about time I put my money where my mouth is and join up".

Now - I forced my wife to support Hawthorn (converting a Crow is easy - just dress them in Hawks colours "just for one night" and take them to a Hawks/Crows game at AAMI - just being exposed to that sort of crowd turned her in a night, but a quick spin through Glen Ferrrie a few months later sealed the deal) and now my newborn son is a member - he didn't go more than 6 hours in life without being a Hawthorn Member.

I'd have to be broke now to let his or my membership lapse!

I adopted dad's team when I was old enough to understand the game. I've, unfortunately, been advised that I was conceived on the night of the '83 grandfinal win. Stupid parents think I actually wanted to know that :(

Grew up in the northern suburbs of Melbourne. Went to the primary school and every kid barracked for Collingwood or Carlton. There were some Richmond and Essendon kids. What can I say I had to go for someone different. My dad took me to Glenferrie to watch his side the demons get beaten by the hawks. It pissed him off wholesale so on the way home he stopped at the pub for a quick drink. Two hours and multiple raspberry lemonades later my allegance to the hawks was born.

As a youngster in Tassie i was collecting footy cards and the ones i liked the best were the Brown & Gold colours of Hawthorn,they looked really good against the blue backdrop of the sky.
And have been a mad keen supporter ever since,and spoiled to see the mighty Hawks win 8 out of 9 nine flags.

3 generations of Hawk supporters. I had no choice. Born and raised on the brown and gold. Have loved watching the regrowth under Clarkson after years of disapointment.

Was playing U 19 amateurs in 1982, picked up by a club scout after a game where I kicked a couple, was recruited by HFC later that year, and played about 50 odd games during the 80s. Never played in a winning GF sadly, but had a crack and played with some of the great legends of the game.
I reckon you might be James Morrissey first senior game 1984,played 41 games recruited from Old Xaverians....i'm i right ? lol Better known as the Freak.
Maybe not because James played in 2 premiership sides 1988,89 so imust be wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back