Remove this Banner Ad

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
This one gave me pause for thought.

Three years ago, this was not even a debate- Dwight was head and shoulders the best centre in the game (what goes on above those shoulders is another story).

Right now though?..

It's close- Dwight, Jo & Gasol the Younger are, to my mind, the best three pivots in the league.

No Marc, I am not kidding.

marc-gasol-high-school-1_display_image.jpg

So, simple question: who would you take in 2013?

You can choose based on best fit with your team's current roster if you wish. On the other hand, you can make your decision on the premise of starting a team from scratch- it's up to you.

JoDw.jpeg

I've ranked them in the order you listed them. Howard - Noah - Gasol, is pretty spot on I think. Didn't require much thought either

Dwight even though he wasn't his best last season. Doubt he'll ever return to his 2011 self but he's still who I'd want on my team.

It is closer than expected though, especially Gasol vs Dwight.

For Boston Dwight's game is better suited for a need factor given Rondo is running the point.

For teams with less competent PG's who don't create as well I'd take a Gasol for his passing ability but also have a solid PF to compliment him.

Noah for similar reasons to Gasol but better suited as an option if the PF partner isn't a volume rebounder.

Personally, I think it's close- very close.

Howard's last two years have been down. Given the nature of his injury it's not a fait accompli that he'll return to his 2008-2011 level.

Just my opinion, but I think Noah's influence is still underrated- he's added so much to his offensive repertoire. Offensively, I'd almost rank Dwight the lowest of the three now, because he's the least versatile.

They're only stats, but going by WS/48 the last three seasons

2011- 1. Dwight 2. Noah 3. Gasol

2012- 1. Noah 2. Dwight 3. Gasol

2013- 1. Gasol 2. Noah 3. Dwight

Gasol's game will age the best, no doubt about that- could become Arvydas Sabonis Mark II

Passing ability of Vlade Divac.

Very true (Sabonis wasn't bad at it either).

Vlade always had more of an athletic physique, had to rely on craftiness late in his career. Gasol's got the wide body which will never diminish.

Vlade was a hugely underrated interior defender IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gasol still producing using his smarts as his years progress

Nice bump.

Dwight had a steady decline. Jo fell off a cliff, which was to be expected. Gasol has also begun the gradual descent. peternorth still in his prime.

Nice bump.

Dwight had a steady decline. Jo fell off a cliff, which was to be expected. Gasol has also begun the gradual descent. peternorth still in his prime.

Thanks SOS. Im like a sultana. Brown and shrivelled but still offering nutritional value.

Noah never reached the heights of Gasol and Dwight imo, he was probably the best of the three for a season or two around 2013 though. But in terms of absolute prime/entire career considered I would rank it:
1. Howard
2. Gasol
3. Noah

Jeez after his LA stint Howard just fell into the Mariana Trench. I love Gasol but I have a soft spot for Joakim, I loved that Chicago Bulls team from 2009-2011.

Jeez after his LA stint Howard just fell into the Mariana Trench. I love Gasol but I have a soft spot for Joakim, I loved that Chicago Bulls team from 2009-2011.

Howard was really good in the playoffs the year we went to Western Conference finals but by his last year with us he was pretty much done as a star player.

Back