Toast Howe free to play - VFL report thrown out

Remove this Banner Ad

Nab cup yeah!! I wouldn't read anything into that

Who is going to break the news to the AFL they don't need to bother with it next year then?

Look I understand people pooh pooh the NAB series as meaningless and I agree insomuch as results but it remains the only opportunity for players to stake a claim on a senior berth (see Langdon), and the only opportunity for clubs to trial things against quality opposition. Witts and Grundy seemed to work really well.

We also had an extended bench in NAB v the Cats. Not really much of a comparison.

4 talls seemed to play large percentage of the game irrespective of extended bench. I do love the way posters seem happy to dismiss evidence that doesn't accord with their ideas. Offered a suggestion in response to the typical "we can't do that because it hasn't worked in the past" type post just to show that history doesn't preclude a different outcome. Take from it what you want.

Who is going to break the news to the AFL they don't need to bother with it next year then?

Look I understand people pooh pooh the NAB series as meaningless and I agree insomuch as results but it remains the only opportunity for players to stake a claim on a senior berth (see Langdon), and the only opportunity for clubs to trial things against quality opposition. Witts and Grundy seemed to work really well.
I don't think we are talking about the same thing! I'm talking about lineups not individual games!

Coaches is nab don't care about structure or how they line up.

I don't think iv seen a game were witts and Grundy dominated a game playing together

I don't think we are talking about the same thing! I'm talking about lineups not individual games!

Coaches is nab don't care about structure or how they line up.

I don't think iv seen a game were witts and Grundy dominated a game playing together

Seriously, coaches don't think about structures.... really?

The post I initially responded to you questioned whether 2 rucks would work, I highlighted a game where we played 4 and it seemed to work. In fact, Witts and Grundy had their best preseason performances. Accept or dismiss it as you want.

Not sure how that's possible given we've carried Gault through 2 games. He CAN'T be worse than Gault, in which case, just bring him in.

Every name holds meaning.........

gault
ɡɔːlt/
noun
  1. a thick, heavy clay.
    • GEOLOGY
      a series of Cretaceous clays and marls forming strata in southern England.
      noun: Gault

Seriously, coaches don't think about structures.... really?

The post I initially responded to you questioned whether 2 rucks would work, I highlighted a game where we played 4 and it seemed to work. In fact, Witts and Grundy had their best preseason performances. Accept or dismiss it as you want.
Playing 4 ruck in a game proves my piont they don't care about how they line up in a nab game! You can't be serious that you would play 4 ruck in game worth 4 pionts. The game right now is as fast pace as iv seen it and you want to play the slow boys?

Playing 4 ruck in a game proves my piont they don't care about how they line up in a nab game! You can't be serious that you would play 4 ruck in game worth 4 pionts. The game right now is as fast pace as iv seen it and you want to play the slow boys?

I would play 4 rucks if they had 2 center circles, which could happen given our current AFL ROG committee.

4 talls seemed to play large percentage of the game irrespective of extended bench. I do love the way posters seem happy to dismiss evidence that doesn't accord with their ideas. Offered a suggestion in response to the typical "we can't do that because it hasn't worked in the past" type post just to show that history doesn't preclude a different outcome. Take from it what you want.
Gault spent the entire first half on the bench and Cox spent a large chunk of the second on the pine too.

It's nice that you can identify that you're dismissing evidence that doesn't accord with your ideas though.

Oh FFS, you made a stupid statement that 2 rucks can't work, I merely pointed out that we played 4 in a NAB game. I am not now nor have I ever advocated 4 rucks in a H&A game. But for you to simply dismiss the potential for it to occur that we name 2 rucks is just fanciful, many sides already do it, your assertion that coaches don't care about NAB games beyond ridiculous.

Gault spent the entire first half on the bench and Cox spent a large chunk of the second on the pine too.

It's nice that you can identify that you're dismissing evidence that doesn't accord with your ideas though.

It's okay really, you can just admit you're wrong, we won't think any less of you, but then again this apparent belief you have that you never are is somehow endearing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent. Should be free to continue his VFL games

Oh FFS, you made a stupid statement that 2 rucks can't work, I merely pointed out that we played 4 in a NAB game. I am not now nor have I ever advocated 4 rucks in a H&A game. But for you to simply dismiss the potential for it to occur that we name 2 rucks is just fanciful, many sides already do it, your assertion that coaches don't care about NAB games beyond ridiculous.
Really I Actually said two ruck don't work We're did I say that! Good work putting a spin on that.

When I say coaches don't care about structure and how they line up is purely in nab game to win. Like when I question playing two ruck in the one game when both can't mark the ball.

Playing 4 ruck in one Nab game proves my point they don't care how they structure up to win a game of footy

Last edited:
It's okay really, you can just admit you're wrong, we won't think any less of you, but then again this apparent belief you have that you never are is somehow endearing.
Except that I wasn't wrong and your NAB example was dumb.

Except that I wasn't wrong and your NAB example was dumb.

See, there you go... feeling better about yourself now?

I assume you were at the game and have the full TOG% stats and rotation details then... the only actual fact here is that 4 rucks played in that NAB game, PERIOD. You can spin this crap to try and make yourself feel superior all you want but that is the only fact.

Last edited:
Agree but not sure about playing 2 ruck together. I'd go for it but both lack any marking ability to play one forward.

Seems semantics really.

Seems semantics really.
Not sure our 2 rucks playing together and saying 2 rucks don't work mean the same thing do they?

You stated that they work well together in the same team. Find me the win-lose ratio on that

See, there you go... feeling better about yourself now?

I assume you were at the game and have the full TOG% stats and rotation details then... the only actual fact here is that 4 rucks played in that NAB game, PERIOD. You can spin this crap to try and make yourself feel superior all you want but that is the only fact.
Are you trying to imply that Gault spent time on the ground in the first half? Christ, all you have to do is look at the game day thread to see he didn't come on till the third quarter. I'm not the one spinning crap here sunshine, you're the one trying to use a NAB game with an 8 man bench as an example of using four rucks together.

But yes, I'm the one who's trying to feel better about myself... Get off your high horse. It was a s**t example.

Last edited:
Not sure our 2 rucks playing together and saying 2 rucks don't work mean the same thing do they?

You stated that they work well together in the same team. Find me the win-lose ratio on that

No, i never said that, I just pointed out we played 4 in the NAB game and that other teams do it. Hell we do it. But don't let that stop you doubting it could work.

Did you know that there is a game called pooh sticks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back