HR and Recruiment | BigFooty

HR and Recruiment

Discussion in 'Education and Employment' started by magpie_marty, Sep 16, 2018.

1. magpie_marty

magpie_marty All Australian

Collingwood
    Just wondering peoples views of an industry that Australia rarely had,
    How qualified is a HR Person?
    And if so how can him or she have experience in the job applicants abilities?
    My guess is NO,
    Do they go straight from high school and the the big wide world of university and become experts?
    Can a person read a resume in 30 second's and decide that a person is suited to a job or even an interview?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. _Mike_

_Mike_ Super Moderator

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Tottenham, Montreal Canadiens
    There's far more to working in HR than simply employing people.

3. Scotland

Scotland Hall of Famer

West Coast
    Most HR people are qualified. Doesn't make them useful.

Herne Hill Hammer likes this.
  4. Catters 070911

Catters 070911 Club Legend

Geelong
    I personally think that the boss should be the one making the final decision.

HR can choose someone, but the manager has to work with him or her, so they should get the ultimate say in who gets hired.

I applied for a job, and the manager loved me. However, all hiring goes through Head Office, and I didn't get the job, whereas I would have if the person who would be my manager could hire me.

Herne Hill Hammer likes this.
  5. Gigantic

Gigantic Norm Smith Medallist

GWS
    Other Teams:
    Rabbitohs, Liverpool, Phoenix Suns
    Any responsible workplace should be doing this. They need to know what type of person they're going to be working with.

I went through four stages to get my last job: online application, phone interview, face-to-face with HR and then final interview with a partner/director.

6. _Swoon

_Swoon Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Dallas Cowboys
    If you're not getting traction with your job applications and don't seem to be getting to the interview stage, the problem is more than likely with you and not HR. While you might think that you have the abilities and you deserve an interview etc. etc., you're only one of potentially one hundred other applicants who also think they're shit hot and management simply doesn't have time to interview everybody. Not getting an interview means your competition have a better resume, sold themselves better in their cover letter or have some sort of inside contact with the company. It sucks, but there's nothing to be gained by lashing out at the people who read your resume so just come to peace with the process.

toxic likes this.