Employment HR/Staffing

Remove this Banner Ad

Angelus512

All Australian
Aug 28, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
I probably shouldn't even be here but I just noticed the board and considering my current situation I thought why not?

Lived in Shanghai for the last 4-5 years so far. I've been a Manager level person leading a team in the recruitment industry (external). For those not overly familiar basically those pricks you have to go and see from Hudson, Hays etc before you actually get to meet the REAL employer.

Anywho I manage a team of 7 people in size, a business area that does roughly 1mil AUD in revenue and the kinds of people I meet, do business with, convince to sign up with us for services etc are HR Directors either China or APAC. President's of China or APAC and occasionally EU or US VP's Global etc.

Sounds a little fancy on paper as I write it but in reality its just par for the course in my world I'm 29 for reference.

Anyways I really want to come back to Melbourne sometime early next year and take up an in-house/internal HR Staffing Manager position. Either State level responsibilities or National would be quite fine.

As I read the Job Descriptions of various roles they basically talk about the following most often

- A degree in HR (I have)

- Ability to influence key hiring managers and make friends with other staff internally to influence outcomes (I influence GLOBAL level decision makers easy enough so I figure I got that covered)

- Sometimes it refers to fast past temp or contract roles etc etc. All of which I have experience dealing with quite some time ago. Its not that hard.

- Ability to think up innovative sourcing solutions etc (really this line is mostly BS...sourcing salutations have remainder the same for a while, online, paper, word of mouth, networking, employee referrals and external headhunters. Done)

Anywho my question/concern/problem/niggling voice tells me that considering so much of my experience is actually overseas that many people may not really consider me for such positions even though they would be easily in-line with my skills and pretty easy given what I've done prior.

I mean the staffing managers I meet and sell business too are generally complete idiots and totally incompetent or do not have a grasp of the business they work within or understand beyond a job description exactly what the hiring manager wants.

I will be ideally applying for positions whilst I'm overseas (in shanghai) and hope to get one subject to a face to face final interview when I return to Melbourne. Although I don't hold out a huge amount of hope it will work that way.

I figure more likely I'll physically have to be in Melbourne to get one easy enough.

I guess just from my point of view I have concerns about how easy it will be for me to score a job like this? I mean from my perspective I easily have 3-4x more experience than such positions would require.

However maybe most employers just want to take the easy option of picking some guy thats done a in-house/internal Staffing Manager job before? Which is funny because what I do is actually a lot harder and more complex....

Oh I almost forgot. I mainly want to do this because the whole "sales" side of my job after 9 years doing it. Well....you get a little tired of the sales component and you just want to do your job.

Anyways all thoughts warmly appreciated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back