Opinion - H'Sun best players of last 50 years - Carey 2nd

Remove this Banner Ad

The Jakovich thing has grown out of proportion with reality. Good defender but like Silvagni made his name in an era where scragging forwards was allowed far more than today. Even within that era Carey didn't get the free he was due - watch any highlights to see that for yourself, most coaches double teamed him and tried to block his run at the ball.

Basically Jakovich did ok in one on one contests where sodomy was an acceptable defensive tactic. To claim that diminishes Carey's claims to #1 is daft.

Story goes if l remember properly that Jesaulenko actually signed what was an old " form 4 " to play with North.

Somehow Carlton stole him away.

Twinkletoes, Horace, Giantroo ?
Did a quick search and found this:

Born in Salzburg, Austria to Ukrainian migrants who later emigrated to Australia and settled in Canberra, Alex played soccer and rugby at first, and was 14 before he discovered Aussie Rules. Only five years later, he was a star in the local competition for Eastlake. As soon as Carlton's scouts saw him, the Blues were very interested, but North Melbourne swooped first and signed him to play a number of games for them on match permits.

That was a rebuff, but Carlton's recruiters did not give up. After convincing Alex and his parents that Princes Park offered considerably more opportunities than Arden Street, a loophole was found in the regulations, and, much to the disgust of the Kangaroos, Carlton successfully contested North's agreement through the Australian National Football Council. In the summer of 1966, coach Ron Barassi welcomed Alex to Princes Park, where his form in training, and in the pre-season trial matches, was nothing short of sensational.

http://www.blueseum.org/Alex+Jesaulenko

http://australianfootball.com/articles/view/Jesaulenko%2C+you+beauty%21/1879

I signed with North Melbourne just to get them off my back. I’d played in four premierships in a row with Eastlake in the ACT – one in the under-19s and three in the seniors. I played at centre half-forward and even in the ruck. But the ACT was a developmental area and no player from there could be signed. North Melbourne was on an interstate trip and they kept pestering me. The advice I received from an independent source was: “Just sign the form and they’ll leave you alone. It’s null and void anyway”. That’s what I did and North didn’t get anywhere. But that pricked my attention for the first time. I thought: ‘What are these North Melbourne blokes interested in me for?’

Soon there were about five clubs knocking on my door. My wife Annie has an uncle, Jack Dorman, who was the president of the ACT Football League. I went to Jack and asked him: “Which club do you think I should go to?” He was a mad Essendon supporter and he said: “I’d love you to go to Essendon, but they’ve got (Ken) Fraser at centre half-forward, Geoff Blethyn at full-forward and you’ll find it hard to break into the side”. Then he looked at Fitzroy and St Kilda and dismissed them. Then he said: “There’s one club there that you might break into straightaway. If you’re interested, I’ll do a deal with them where you get the first six games and if you’re any good you’ll stay, but if it doesn’t work out you can leave”. I said: “Well, that’ll do me”. He said: “The club is Carlton. They’ve got a good backline but they’ve got no forwards”. We did the deal and I joined the Blues in 1967.

Did a quick search and found this:

Born in Salzburg, Austria to Ukrainian migrants who later emigrated to Australia and settled in Canberra, Alex played soccer and rugby at first, and was 14 before he discovered Aussie Rules. Only five years later, he was a star in the local competition for Eastlake. As soon as Carlton's scouts saw him, the Blues were very interested, but North Melbourne swooped first and signed him to play a number of games for them on match permits.

That was a rebuff, but Carlton's recruiters did not give up. After convincing Alex and his parents that Princes Park offered considerably more opportunities than Arden Street, a loophole was found in the regulations, and, much to the disgust of the Kangaroos, Carlton successfully contested North's agreement through the Australian National Football Council. In the summer of 1966, coach Ron Barassi welcomed Alex to Princes Park, where his form in training, and in the pre-season trial matches, was nothing short of sensational.

http://www.blueseum.org/Alex+Jesaulenko

http://australianfootball.com/articles/view/Jesaulenko%2C+you+beauty%21/1879

I signed with North Melbourne just to get them off my back. I’d played in four premierships in a row with Eastlake in the ACT – one in the under-19s and three in the seniors. I played at centre half-forward and even in the ruck. But the ACT was a developmental area and no player from there could be signed. North Melbourne was on an interstate trip and they kept pestering me. The advice I received from an independent source was: “Just sign the form and they’ll leave you alone. It’s null and void anyway”. That’s what I did and North didn’t get anywhere. But that pricked my attention for the first time. I thought: ‘What are these North Melbourne blokes interested in me for?’

Soon there were about five clubs knocking on my door. My wife Annie has an uncle, Jack Dorman, who was the president of the ACT Football League. I went to Jack and asked him: “Which club do you think I should go to?” He was a mad Essendon supporter and he said: “I’d love you to go to Essendon, but they’ve got (Ken) Fraser at centre half-forward, Geoff Blethyn at full-forward and you’ll find it hard to break into the side”. Then he looked at Fitzroy and St Kilda and dismissed them. Then he said: “There’s one club there that you might break into straightaway. If you’re interested, I’ll do a deal with them where you get the first six games and if you’re any good you’ll stay, but if it doesn’t work out you can leave”. I said: “Well, that’ll do me”. He said: “The club is Carlton. They’ve got a good backline but they’ve got no forwards”. We did the deal and I joined the Blues in 1967.

Always the " man " G.R. What coudda been. Now. Did Dick Clay do the same ?

Imagine Kekovich, Jesaulenko, Clay and a fit Peter Steward in your side ?

Always the " man " G.R. What coudda been. Now. Did Dick Clay do the same ?

Imagine Kekovich, Jesaulenko, Clay and a fit Peter Steward in your side ?
Yep.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-05-13/50-years-of-mcg-memories-dick-clays-debut

Clay, a gun key forward with Victorian country club Kyabram, had originally signed to play for North Melbourne.

He’d become the first player in the Goulburn Valley League to kick 100 goals in a season, finishing with 116 in 1964 and winning the competition’s Morrison Medal the same year.

The Kangaroos were convinced Clay was a future VFL star and were delighted to have secured his signature on a Form Four agreement, which was valid for two years.

Richmond, however, along with several other league clubs, also was extremely keen on the super-talented Clay.

With ruthless football secretary Graeme Richmond at the helm, the Tigers hatched a bold plan to remove Clay from North Melbourne’s clutches and steer him to Punt Road.

Clay played one practice match for North, but subsequently went cold on the idea of a league career with the Roos.

All the while, in the background, GR was doing his best work to convince Clay that Tigerland was where his football future lay.

Elliot Cartledge, in his excellent book, ‘The Hafey Years’, wrote: ‘Courtesy of (Richmond) committeeman Ron Carson, GR (Graeme Richmond) had a new Holden delivered to the Clay household in the dead of night, while Dick was still tied to North Melbourne. Once the shock had worn off, both father and son realised it was a signing-on gift courtesy of the Tigers, for in the meantime GR had wheeled out the great Jack Dyer to pay a visit to tell and sell the great Richmond story.’

Clay recounted how Richmond eventually won the race to secure his services . . .

“Jack and Graeme came up to see me and Tommy (Hafey) came over as well when he was coaching Shepparton. I didn’t know if I was ever going to be big enough or good enough to play League football, so when the clubs started chasing me it was exciting because it made me think that maybe there is a chance.

“But Tommy going to Richmond was the clincher, because at Kyabram we could see what he was doing at Shepparton. They were looking for tall, running players who could mark and kick. When Jack Dyer walks into the kitchen at home to meet mum and dad, dad said, “He’s not a bad bloke that Jack, so you better go to Richmond!” I never rued that decision, that’s for sure.”

But Clay’s decision to join Richmond wasn’t the end of the saga.

Elliot Cartledge reported that: “North Melbourne’s hold over Clay expired at midnight on Friday, April 22. Hours later, on the Saturday morning, he signed with the Tigers . . .

“North’s disappointment turned to outrage. Early the following week, the club’s president Tony Trainor called for a “full League investigation” of Richmond’s tactics. He told the press: “Richmond’s approach and signing of Clay is a direct contravention of League rules”. Under the rules of the day, the VFL could not act in any way until the player in question presented a clearance or match permits from his home club – in this case Kyabram.

“For its part, Kyabram promised there would be no hold up in granting Clay his desired match permits. Sure enough, the permits were granted the very next day and GR made a flying visit to Kyabram to collect them. North accused Richmond of pirating Clay and the Tigers responded – in a style which would become trademark in the years to come – by immediately naming Clay in the side to play on Saturday. The VFL called him late in the week to appear before its permit committee.

“North, via its president Trainor protested vigorously and left the VFL body with two choices: grant Clay a permit to play or find that he and the Tigers have a case to answer. In a decision that had far-reaching consequences for both clubs over the years to come the VFL found in Richmond’s favor.

“Dick Clay made his VFL debut in Round 2 against Footscray at the MCG. The roller-coaster would not get any easier for the star recruit; he was picked to line up at centre half-forward against the formidable talent of Ted Whitten.”

I was young when Matthews was going around, but after seeing Carey at his best, Lethal must have been unbelievably special to have knocked him off top.

I disagree with those saying Hird shouldn't be there. Thoroughly unlikeable but he was an excellent footballer IMO.

s**t list due to a certain name on there that should be remembered for what he was. I still recall the pa announcements way back when at primary school
Talking about Gablett NN? I find the reverence with which he's discussed, and the fact that the incident has to be spoken about in hushed tones, very unsettling. That poor girl's family must shake their heads.

I honestly cannot believe how Gaz Jnr is rated, by far the best consistent footballer over a long period of time is uncanny........ and that Buddy makes best 25. How people forget......

I wasn't around to see Matthews but his record speaks for itself. He must be the best player to play the game.

Even though I wasn't around when Matthews played, I have watched a few old games. The thing that stands out to me is ( I don't want this to come accross as an insult) is his lack of brilliance. He just got s**t done. He didn't really stand out as much as you'd think, then you'd see he'd had 20odd disposals and kicked 6 goals.

That's a fair assessment. He wasn't quick and he didn't have a leap on him so he rarely made the highlights reel. But he just ripped teams apart consistently kicking goals and setting them up for team mates. He had tremendous core strength and simply shrugged off tackles. His specialty was the blind turn. He saved his best for North Melbourne more often than not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back