Autopsy Hubba Hubba, Blues blast the Dogs on the Coast

Who do you think played a good game for the Blues v the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

sam edmunds, sam maclure, andy maher, a host of more social media types like dave hughes and sam pang - heaps of pro-carlton commentators out there like dunstall, mooney et al.......
Thanks Thy, more than what I thought or have access to. Just feel we are not well represented sometimes. Wins will change the general sentiment

the media in melbourne is seriously bullish about us like they haven't been for a long time - although I did notice lyons suggesting healy's description of harry as a 'superstar' was premature by responding with "he's been here before".............great to be in the conversation at least...........

the media in melbourne is seriously bullish about us like they haven't been for a long time - although I did notice lyons suggesting healy's description of harry as a 'superstar' was premature by responding with "he's been here before".............great to be in the conversation at least...........

Fair on Big H. He's made some false starts so far.

The media were down on us last week, so when they are up or down, it's a bit of a goldfish mindset for mine. We are at an inconsistent time of our development.

I suspect they just got carried away with us because we had an attacking mentality after a weekend of dross. If ... if ... we get smashed by Port, it will be interesting to see whether they still have any love for us, just a week after we thrilled them so much.

This is where I enjoy bigger picture scribes and not week to week sensationalism.

I thought the momentum changer was when Murphy didn't convert when he was running into an open goal. Happy to see us really respond when the Dogs challenged.
There is a real grit developing with this team. In years gone by they would have folded under the pressure ... now it seems to motivate them.

I thought the momentum changer was when Murphy didn't convert when he was running into an open goal. Happy to see us really respond when the Dogs challenged.

I was so pissed at Murph at the time but in hindsight, he got caught out by perfect judgment from the Dogs player. The intention was always to give a Joe the Goose over the top as the % play, but he didn't leave the man when most would have, and Murph decided to take the shot at the exact time the defender chose to come at him. Timing was impeccable.

Given how good Murph is around goals generally, I'm prepared to forgive him for this. Paid the price for wanting to be unselfish.

Have not been able to wipe the smile off my face the last couple of days ... I feel it in my bones, these boys are starting to believe. Their best football can beat anybody. The lid is on, but I think we will play finals this year.

Gary Lyon on footy classified tonight ranked Walsh at 6 in that 2018 draft.
He had M & B King 1 & 2. Rankine 3, Smith 4, Rozee 5, & Walsh 6. Amazing how many footy journos don't rate Walsh highly. I'm happy with him.
Did you manage to have a look at Lyons face at the start of the program when Gerald Healy was giving the Blues a pump? Looked like he drunk a cup off vinegar. Never knew Lyon was a cfc hater

Great win but that umpiring in the second quarter is still raising my blood pressure on the 3rd watch of the replay.
TBH excepts for a 10 minute period where there was a dog love fest the umpires were not too bad after watching the replay. During the game I too was livid.

TBH excepts for a 10 minute period where there was a dog love fest the umpires were not too bad after watching the replay. During the game I too was livid.

That Weitering deliberate was awful. At the ground and on replay, it clearly came off the side of his fist. Players can't kick accurately, let alone spoil the ball in a contest.

walsh runs himself to a stop - don't need the party tricks - I'll take another craig bradley for the next dozen years thanks.........

Gets a lot of the ball in covering positions where he has to kick it over his shoulder, which affects his efficiency too. If he wasn't working his way to contests so often, we'd look like we were getting split open like a coconut by the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why do you think your interpretation is more accurate than the umps? where were you watching from? what did you think of curnow with his arm trapped, taking an hour to get rid of the ball that wasn't paid?
Thy you are an enigma to me, I think umpires have the worst job in the world and I do not believe that there is a conspiracy theory against us but I have done a number of psych subjects and I will say that from a subconscious point of view we get less of the rub of the green than pretty much everyone else. CFC has been imprinted into the other supporters psych as the team to not let advance, for whatever reason, (lets be honest we were a little arrogant when we had it all). Realistically this will change over the next ten years where umpires who knew us growing up in the 80s/90s are replaced by umpires who only knew us as crap from 2000 onwards.

Did you manage to have a look at Lyons face at the start of the program when Gerald Healy was giving the Blues a pump? Looked like he drunk a cup off vinegar. Never knew Lyon was a cfc hater

And that would explain why he ranked Walsh 6th. Haters are not to be listened to when they put forth rankings.

I was so pissed at Murph at the time but in hindsight, he got caught out by perfect judgment from the Dogs player. The intention was always to give a Joe the Goose over the top as the % play, but he didn't leave the man when most would have, and Murph decided to take the shot at the exact time the defender chose to come at him. Timing was impeccable.

Given how good Murph is around goals generally, I'm prepared to forgive him for this. Paid the price for wanting to be unselfish.
After that last second match winning goal against Freo last year I forgive him for that aberration

why do you think your interpretation is more accurate than the umps? where were you watching from? what did you think of curnow with his arm trapped, taking an hour to get rid of the ball that wasn't paid?

Did he have prior opportunity? If not, the umpire's goal is to see the ball come out and advance, and if Ed had enough strength to get a foot to it or get his arm free, I think this is exactly in the right spirit of the game. I don't see any benefit in a tackler sweating on a ball player, grabbing him and taking away his avenue to dispose of the ball immediately and getting a free kick for it. Anything that encourages tackling at the expense of getting the ball is bad for the game IMO.

Lost enough games against us as a loser Melbourne player back in his time, scars are still there

After that last second match winning goal against Freo last year I forgive him for that aberration

Yeah, Murph has some great close in ability, especially around goals. He's not physical and his skills are starting to let him down more than before, but he still has that run and poise and ability to link up in some of our more positive passages. Sometimes, I think he deserves to be dropped but I always wonder about team chemistry and some of those intangibles that we don't necessarily notice.

And that would explain why he ranked Walsh 6th. Haters are not to be listened to when they put forth rankings.
if u have kayo have a look at the first five minutes of on the couch tonight ... for me it was a real eye opener .. could not hide this hate for us. Its gonna destroy him as we leap frog his beloved demons.

Yeah, Murph has some great close in ability, especially around goals. He's not physical and his skills are starting to let him down more than before, but he still has that run and poise and ability to link up in some of our more positive passages. Sometimes, I think he deserves to be dropped but I always wonder about team chemistry and some of those intangibles that we don't necessarily notice.
I cannot say at times he doesn't frustrate me either ... but lets get real he has stuck through with us thick and thin ... guy deserves a premiership before he retires. Just like Levi and Simmo

Lost enough games against us as a loser Melbourne player back in his time, scars are still there
true ... but I was actually taken a back. Genuinely didn't know he had such disdain for us. Makes me want to call SEN Monday morning after a win against Melbourne and go Garry you there ..... Da da da ta da da ta da ta duh ... we are the navy blues ....

if u have kayo have a look at the first five minutes of on the couch tonight ... for me it was a real eye opener .. could not hide this hate for us. Its gonna destroy him as we leap frog his beloved demons.

It’s like the camera person just knew to cut away to Lyon’s face when Healy said, “Without question, the saviors of Sunday football were the mighty Blues” lol. Great start already.

Okay, well that's a good sign at least. Bloke completely removed one potentially very troublesome factor (alcohol) and it wouldn't be easy doing that being around and playing with other young men.

As you say he might be a flog, but he certainly has his commitment to his craft sorted out and that's a big thing in the game.
Was at the airport earlier this year waiting for a plane, Bailey Smith was sitting on the floor with his headphones in doing his thing.
He noticed an older gentlemen come towards him. Got up off the ground, took his headphones out and shook the mans hand.
Spoke to the gentlemen for a good 10 minutes. The bloke seemed to be a Dad of one of his mates / ex teammates that he hadnt seen / been in contact with for a while.
Bailey couldn’t have been more gracious & respectful. Ended with him giving this bloke his number and offering to get him & the family to the footy and an invite to come down to the rooms.

I have two kids in their 20s and would be proud to know that they interact with others in the same manner, conducted himself as well as any 18 /19 year old kid I’ve seen.

Would love him at Carlton. Kid has all the tools to become a jet.

Last edited:
Back