Autopsy Hubba Hubba, Blues blast the Dogs on the Coast

Who do you think played a good game for the Blues v the Dogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 912863
does this help. That Walsh 2019 v Smith 2020. Coz we aren’t goldfish on here we know how bloody good Walsh is. Just coming good right now. Most players start a gamethe way they finished the previous. And he had a very good half. 12d, 2 direct assists for goals and only 1 Clanger.
Stacks up pretty evenly considering Smith's 2020 is shorter games.
Smith seems to have improved from last year moreso than Walsh, but that could also reflect their respective roles.
Couldn't tell you who will end up the better player, but they're clearly both jets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin highlights from the Bulldogs game. I could watch this again and again.

PS: Mods were the player specific threads deleted? Couldn't find the Jack Martin one.

A few little secondary takeaways from this too.

- Newnes in the first and third clips, it shows that the bloke knows where to position himself on the outside. He won't always be the option that gets used, but he holds his position well off the contest when he needs to. Important given how often we've been carved up by teams in the past because all our players kept getting drawn too close to the contest.
- Gov before Gov's snap for goal (around 4:20), instinctively tried to shield Martin from Wood's tackle (semi-successfully). I feel this sort of team play was missing from our forward line in the past, and Eddie/Gov are doing wonders in fostering it.

Probably others, but they were the two that stood out to me.

I think blokes with natural leg speed like Dow/Fisher could learn a lot from Martin when it comes to tackling - he uses his speed to make excellent tackles and blocks to great effect - Eddie has been fantastic in spoiling/hassling/running down and generally spooking opposition defenders - he is expert at the short 20 meter bursts of speed to hassle - smart with his use of energy.

Its called class - I hope the younger players are studying this stuff.

Yeah, nothing in it.
He's bang on. We murdered them with 5 minutes to go which flatters us a bit - but by the same token, it also highlights that we are a team that can put the foot down.

He didnt say we got unfair free kicks or that the umpires were wrong - he said we had intense pressure which lead to 3 HTB decisions against them.

He's bang on. We murdered them with 5 minutes to go which flatters us a bit - but by the same token, it also highlights that we are a team that can put the foot down.

He didnt say we got unfair free kicks or that the umpires were wrong - he said we had intense pressure which lead to 3 HTB decisions against them.

You are exactly right...I think you need to apply for a job as an SEN journalist though, they twisted his words to say we got the 'rub of the green' with the umpires early - which is not what he said at all!

...proves it is best to go to the source (as you have) rather than rely on 3rd hand rubbish...

It's actually insane how many times a Martin involvement leads to a goal.

It is, isn't it? He never plays hot potato with the ball.
It's as though he holds off releasing, just long enough to attract two tacklers, before he releases to someone that now has space.

All little things the commentators miss, but what an outcome for those manoeuvres. He's crazy good not so much in an individual way, but a team way.

I squeezed it in last night ..good viewing if I must say so myself.

Was so good just to sit back and watch it. Amazing how many things from the game you pick up second time around.

Back