Toast Hudghton, Hayes, Everitt & Milne inducted into STKFC Hall of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

Enjoyed the speeches. All very deserving. Perhaps Spida the only surprise, although there is no doubting how good he was as a player. If only he was fit for the 97 GF!

What I hope is that our young list saw the passion and love these guys have for our club and it inspires them to greater heights. Well timed function in that regard. Great motivation for the group leading into the season.

Wasn't his choice is say. Thank GT for that.
Who Spider?
That's news to me! Is that right?
Thought it was Spider who wanted out at the time!
I know in his last half a dozen games for the club that he didn't give a s**t!

Still happy to have him back in the fold and that he feels the Saints are his home!

Wasn't his choice is say. Thank GT for that.
To be honest that does ring a bell. GT wanted complete buy-in and Spida was an 'individual' as Jacko used to say. And I do remember Spida not really trying too hard and saying some dumb things in the season before he left. Pity.

Who Spider?
That's news to me! Is that right?
Thought it was Spider who wanted out at the time!
I know in his last half a dozen games for the club that he didn't give a s**t!

Still happy to have him back in the fold and that he feels the Saints are his home!
Never got along with him. The great man manager was very selective.

To be honest that does ring a bell. GT wanted complete buy-in and Spida was an 'individual' as Jacko used to say. And I do remember Spida not really trying too hard and saying some dumb things in the season before he left. Pity.

Probably because Spida didn't rate him as a coach. Played his best under Alves.

Gtrain was also an individual, but was treated differently because of his value.

GTs contempt was on display recently in the way he was condescending towards him during the drugs being rife discussion.

Probably because Spida didn't rate him as a coach. Played his best under Alves.

Gtrain was also an individual, but was treated differently because of his value.

GTs contempt was on display recently in the way he was condescending towards him during the drugs being rife discussion.
I missed that man! Don't tell me he named him?

Thats not right Spider had trouble getting along with every coach at Stkilda not just GT.
was a pretty ordinary bloke Spider

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats not right Spider had trouble getting along with every coach at Stkilda not just GT.
was a pretty ordinary bloke Spider
He was kind of admitting it in his interviews. Immature. Hawthorn were keen to off-load him. And he finished at Sydney. On his day a terrific player, but probably tried to buck the system a bit too much. He had some weird backyard injury didn't he? Sort of 'dog ate my homework' BS.

Spida was a nutter at the time, I knew a guy in the social club who had a few insiders and his off field exploits were legendary. He was a seriously bad influence. Glassing an off duty cop in Frankston was the last straw I think. Hall used to have a habit of needing constant club intervention to keep him out of jai tool. Barry went back to Broadford and king hit his ex girlfriends boyfriend half way across the street. Clubs don't generally get rid of gun players because the coach doesn't like them.

That said I went out with the players in Sydney when I was young and Spida was the best of them, he was a great fun, gregarious party boy. Awesome guy to hang out with, hard man to manage for a small club.

And Fraser got away with just as much.

Fraser pissed on a woman's leg at Crown but wasn't violent from what I heard. He was just a piss head. Steven Lawrence seemed to be a piss head but a bit of an angry drunk so got the flick.

Spida was a nutter at the time, I knew a guy in the social club who had a few insiders and his off field exploits were legendary. He was a seriously bad influence. Glassing an off duty cop in Frankston was the last straw I think. Hall used to have a habit of needing constant club intervention to keep him out of jai tool. Barry went back to Broadford and king hit his ex girlfriends boyfriend half way across the street. Clubs don't generally get rid of gun players because the coach doesn't like them.

That said I went out with the players in Sydney when I was young and Spida was the best of them, he was a great fun, gregarious party boy. Awesome guy to hang out with, hard man to manage for a small club.
Was at a lunch where Watson said if had his time again he would've got rid of Spider 1st up because of his bad influence on the rest of the group same issue at Hawks

Was at a lunch where Watson said if had his time again he would've got rid of Spider 1st up because of his bad influence on the rest of the group same issue at Hawks

Yeah, I remember he was in a brawl with in a about 6 months of joining he Hawks. He had a bad habit of king hitting people.

I remember him telling the story of how he joined his local footy club because he was pissing on with his mates behind the footy oval and someone came and grabbed him and asked if he wanted to train, they couldn't believe he was so good so quickly.

He was our garbo in Elwood in the 90s, he used to run behind the trucks up ending bins by hand to keep fit for footy while it was still dark, train in the arvo. He was funny combo of disciplined at times and totally reckless at others.

Yeah, I remember he was in a brawl with in a about 6 months of joining he Hawks. He had a bad habit of king hitting people.

I remember him telling the story of how he joined his local footy club because he was pissing on with his mates behind the footy oval and someone came and grabbed him and asked if he wanted to train, they couldn't believe he was so good so quickly.

He was our garbo in Elwood in the 90s, he used to run behind the trucks up ending bins by hand to keep fit for footy while it was still dark, train in the arvo. He was funny combo of disciplined at times and totally reckless at others.
A Huge talent perfect ruck for todays game

And Fraser got away with just as much.
This can not be the same man that could leap tall buildings and rock a mullet that was sharper than Poiter's...The great G Train! I won't have him besmirched!

You must be talking about that other Fraser! The useless prick who nearly sunk our club Archie F*ckin Fraser!

Fraser pissed on a woman's leg at Crown but wasn't violent from what I heard. He was just a piss head. Steven Lawrence seemed to be a piss head but a bit of an angry drunk so got the flick.
Wasn't he part of the entourage that went to convince Blight?

I don't think he really had a strong coach that he respected enough to pull his head in TBH.

I'll just add that in the mid to late 90's we sold Sheldon's house in Bentleigh which at the time was rented by Stewie... Around the time he opened Flaming Mo's.

I can tell you they were no angels back then. Serious parties, violence and smashed windows.

I loved Spida, he was (along with Winmar) my favourite Saint growing up.

Only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was his racial comments to Melbourne's Scott Chisholm in Round 2, 1999.

Really shows a bit about his character to stoop so low, and I am hopeful he has changed as a person.

I was fortunate to go the Hall of Fame night last Thursday...…...never been to one of those before...….WOW....what a night.

As Sammm mentioned,the night was a sell out and they packed us in......the venue(the old Powerhouse at Albert Park Lake) was decked up for the night really well.....I was last there for a high school reunion way too many years ago.

The people on my table who'd been to these nights before told me early that it would be a magical night......how right they were.

For me,it was absolutely surreal seeing and hearing players names who I've watched over my 48 year journey watching the Saints pretty well nearly every week.

Ross Smith ….Big Carl(didn't see him tho) and Bob Murray were all there...…..Bob's a lot older but as soon as you saw the face you knew it was him.

As I think Stewart also said......you couldn't help but wonder what impact a night like that would have on the current list.....I had a table of players in front and to the left of me....Paddy and Jack Steele were listening very intently to the speeches of various past players.

It gave me goose bumps listening to the speeches from Lenny,Roo and Burkey(a very well deserved elevation to Legend status)……..gee...he's a very impressive speaker.

I must say Spida was a surprise nominee......but there you go.....he did have some outstanding years.

Met the great John Beveridge.....what an impressive man....he's not in great health but pre function stopped to talk to me and a mate of mine who'd met him before.

Overall.....a great night.....full marks for the club.....they really turned it on for this night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back