Politics Huffington post calls for White Men to not be able to vote.

Remove this Banner Ad

You can't keep score - but you can open your friggen eyes and see a world that is still dominated by white men.

That's very subjective. Someone else could open their friggin eyes and see something else.

And it is a given that feminism's ultimate motive is a society where women have equal power, status and responsibility - it's not my opinion, nor my interpretation. It's what the ******* movement is based on!

A lot of movements are based on one thing, and veer off into something else, probably partly due to people who think that certain conditions are axiomatic and not up for debate.

This conversation is about what could give the idea that feminism is about something other than equality for the sexes. I cited the movement itself and how it behaves. My point is that it acts contrary to its stated objective, therefore the stated original objectives of feminism are irrelevant.

You can't keep score - but you can open your friggen eyes and see a world that is still dominated by white men. And it is a given that feminism's ultimate motive is a society where women have equal power, status and responsibility - it's not my opinion, nor my interpretation. It's what the ******* movement is based on!

Peter Dutton, Peter Slipper, John Howard, Craig Thomson, Kevin Rudd, Malcolm Turnbull, Bob Day, Rod Culleton.

I don't know exactly what your point is - but if you're pointing out s**t politicians + politicians that you apparently just don't like, it would be ridiculous to suggest that our female politicians are worse than the male politicians. By sheer weight of numbers the men would clearly dominate, because they (still) dominate parliament. Proportionally? I doubt there's any chance at all that women would be more inept/corrupt/whatever then men are.

What's that saying that people use? Privilege is invisible to those who have it?

No one wants to think that a society that still ingrains better status and opportunities for men contributed to their achievements - but it's just not true. No one is a product in and of their own mind - we're all a product of the environment/society that we live in, and that impacts upon our opportunities. It borders on ignorant to suggest that your gender had nothing to do with whatever success you have. Your education, the opportunities and attention given to you by that education, your work experience, your social life - the things that have impacted on your success (or non success) - all of it is impacted upon by your gender and your race. I believe this is absolutely inarguable.

You are apparently assuming that sports and sports broadcasting rights exist in a vacuum of 2017 where nothing else is relevant - it's clearly not the case. The role that womens sport has in society is clearly impacted by decades of inequity. It's why dickheads whinged about the standard of the AFLW and compared it to the AFL despite the AFL having a head start of over 100 years.

It's all well and good to say that sporting broadcasts are all based on money. However, where those networks send the money is based on decades of us being taught that men are "better" or "more watchable" when it comes to sport, with those decades of male dominance of professional sport obviously being impacted on the society at the time that didn't grant women the same opportunities

Can you point to an example of another nation or culture where this historical issues isn't the case? In which country do men not dominate? therefore the experience isn't exclusive to white men. You can't be mad at history literally we weren't that smart and the logical thought process would of been women have babies therefore need to stay home, and men are more disposal so should enter the work force.

Of course there is going to be a disproportionate number of men in some industries and higher positions. People don't become CEO and High Level politicians until their 50's, so they women coming through now would only be the second or first of the generations that started going to uni and saw their mothers work when more women entered the work force.

IMO class (which is an issue in every nation), the family unit and mental health has a way bigger impact then race or gender in Australia. On race in the US Asian's earn more that Caucasians.

Privilege isn't just the ability to make money - how about living longer? Have a lower suicide rate? Not being conscripted during war? Less likely to die at work? Less like to die in from violence? Less like to go to jail or be involved in crime?

You're seeing White privilege through a Len's that success in life is based on just money and power. How about happiness? How about people that just have a strong sense a community, family and spiritually?

Is absolutely inarguable that women have babies and men cannot, they're are going to face decision men don't have to deal with and therefore this will dictate their life journey.

And I would like to see where a government policy has been set-up to actively reduce the women's ability to obtain 'equal power, status and responsibility'.

I completely agree that society needs to continually evolve and their is opportunities to push more women into male dominate industries, just as there is more opportunity to have men become stay at home dads. I think we just to be realistic of how quickly we can roll changes especially into some industries, it could take one or two generations.

I like to finish on their is good and bad in all genders and races, but by in-large as a whole people just want to live happy and improve the communities they live in. Don't look at the past and just point out failings and go 'ah ah white men are so smart they've made a plan to dominate', ffs we used think the world was flat and some muppets still do.

Last edited:
What's that saying that people use? Privilege is invisible to those who have it?

No one wants to think that a society that still ingrains better status and opportunities for men contributed to their achievements - but it's just not true. No one is a product in and of their own mind - we're all a product of the environment/society that we live in, and that impacts upon our opportunities. It borders on ignorant to suggest that your gender had nothing to do with whatever success you have. Your education, the opportunities and attention given to you by that education, your work experience, your social life - the things that have impacted on your success (or non success) - all of it is impacted upon by your gender and your race. I believe this is absolutely inarguable.

Well I did work hard to overcome the poor education outcomes that boys "enjoy" as compared to girls in high school, that is right.

There's nothing privileged about scraping together coins to put fuel in the car. Or having to go borrow money off a cousin so the cheque for the electricity doesn't bounce. Or getting the arse from your job because the owner was, is and will always be a money hungry campaigner. Or having to move back in with my parents because I was unemployed and couldn't afford the rent. Or whatever else I had to do back when I was on the bones of my arse at that stage of my life. But that's long past, I was lucky. I scraped my way back up with my parents with a lot of hard work and luck and created something. Bank wouldn't even give me a credit card, so no privilege there either.

I didn't blame my race or my gender when I was down, it deserves no credit when I got back up. I won't deny the macroeconomics of this argument, as a collective men earn more then women and hold greater power. But there are plenty of women who earn more then men. There are plenty of non-white Australians who have greater share of wealth than white men. Go down to Flinders Street Station and ask those guys sleeping rough how their privilege is working out for them.

The sweeping generalisation of white male privilege hides a lot of outliers and contradictions. Money, more than race or gender, buys you privilege. And while white men might enjoy a disproportionate amount of wealth, there are plenty who have nothing.

Well I did work hard to overcome the poor education outcomes that boys "enjoy" as compared to girls in high school, that is right.

There's nothing privileged about scraping together coins to put fuel in the car. Or having to go borrow money off a cousin so the cheque for the electricity doesn't bounce. Or getting the arse from your job because the owner was, is and will always be a money hungry campaigner. Or having to move back in with my parents because I was unemployed and couldn't afford the rent. Or whatever else I had to do back when I was on the bones of my arse at that stage of my life. But that's long past, I was lucky. I scraped my way back up with my parents with a lot of hard work and luck and created something. Bank wouldn't even give me a credit card, so no privilege there either.

I didn't blame my race or my gender when I was down, it deserves no credit when I got back up. I won't deny the macroeconomics of this argument, as a collective men earn more then women and hold greater power. But there are plenty of women who earn more then men. There are plenty of non-white Australians who have greater share of wealth than white men. Go down to Flinders Street Station and ask those guys sleeping rough how their privilege is working out for them.

The sweeping generalisation of white male privilege hides a lot of outliers and contradictions. Money, more than race or gender, buys you privilege. And while white men might enjoy a disproportionate amount of wealth, there are plenty who have nothing.

I take exception to one point tandino, it wasn't luck, you worked hard against some serious odds. I have not been through what you have.

:rolleyes:

Are you ******* serious?

Over 50% of the population are women. If "merit" is what counted it stands to reason that women would occupy around 50% of federal and state parliaments. They'd occupy around 50% of board and senior management positions in the private and public sectors. ****, they'd even occupy half the tv time allocated to sport.

None of these things are true - none of them are even close to true.

But sure, go ahead and tell yourself that your achievements are based entirely on your ability and not based, at least bit (a large bit) on your gender.
women are 100% of mothers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back