Current HUGE AFP Sting - 200 organised crime arrests

Remove this Banner Ad

Good for them. They should be proud of finally arresting someone.

Wont change the drug trade or drug culture one iota though.

They have confiscated $45 million in cash and 3+ tonnes of drugs. That's a significant dent in profits (as opposed to revenue) and also supply (not to mention the 200+ arrests and numerous labs shut down). I reckon it will make a significant difference.

I must say, how stupid to believe any app, internet site or related was protected... are we getting stupider?
Very interesting presser by the US Dept of Justice a few hours ago acknowledging AFP prime involvement with the FBI.
An AFP officer addressed the presser but unfortunately I did not get her name.
Worth a look if you can find it.

Apparently documentation is available on the Dept of Justice site.

Personally I am no longer skeptical of our role in the app, the Yanks acknowledge it, I was wrong to question it.

This might have taken in Qantas employees. Nine reported up to 150 of them may have been implicated. Uh_oh.

The Nine newspapers said the classified intelligence operation found up to 150 Qantas staff had been linked to criminality. It said agencies believe they included motorcycle gangs that were involved in drug importation and other activities.

Schapelle Corby Likes This

I wonder if there are messages concerning Nick Martin and his connection to bikies

*Motorplex sniper

One of the articles I read indicated the police had been using this app for two or nearly three? years and making arrests. I was wondering how they kept the fact they were getting in to their encrypted messages quiet.

One of the articles I read indicated the police had been using this app for two or nearly three? years and making arrests. I was wondering how they kept the fact they were getting in to their encrypted messages quiet.

Why has it all been made public now, probably because it has been been exposed. Be interesting to learn where the 6 crooked cops charged are across the world.
Appears a predecessor app (phantom source ) was exposed in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this is related but the police are cleaning up!

A man has been charged after allegedly trying to flee to Dubai, following the police seizure of $7 million found under concrete flooring in south-western Sydney.

Some juicy quotes I've selected from the West today on operation ironside.

'The Comanchero bikie gang is on the brink of collapse after being infiltrated by authorities, according to Australian Federal Police bosses.'

'“I think in South Australia alone, we’ve arrested just about every Comanchero.”'

'Victorian Sgt-at-Arms Christian Taumoefolau was swept up in arrests made across Australia on Tuesday'

'national president Mick Murray ... Melbourne-based Murray, who was not arrested in this week’s raids, faces a nervous wait as police comb through 25 million messages his gang members and other underworld players sent each other via the AN0M app.'

'There were already rumblings before this week’s raids about encrypted platform AN0M within the Comanchero after a series of arrests jolted their faith in the app.'

'AN0M app was akin to recording their crimes in a police diary'

'Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill told media on Tuesday it would take years to analyse the bumper intelligence harvest decoded by AFP operatives.
In that material will be millions of messages'

'Information from AN0M has been used to avert several turf war murders in Victoria, including one in which cars had already been stolen and cloned plates fitted in preparation.

Police had been able to uncover plots by setting alerts for the use of certain words which might indicate a hit was being planned.'

Below is a reported credible explanation of the timing of the close of the Anom app.
2.67 million messages a fortnight being monitored by the AFP in April 2021.
'The West' says 25 million messages total.
Looks like the bulk of the messages via Anom were from more recently, as the app appears to have used by more and more criminals as time went by in it's life.

'“The volume [of content] was increasing at a scale and our ability to resource it and monitoring it really wasn’t scalable commensurate to the growth,” Anthony Russo, the FBI’s representative at the US embassy in Australia, told the Herald and The Age.
Popularity surged in July 2020 when European authorities announced an investigation into another platform, EncroChat, which was dismantled. Before the take-down of another app, Sky Global, in March this year, there were 3000 active users of An0m. This surged to 9000 by May.

This week, the AFP said officers were monitoring 40,000 messages over a fortnight in April 2020 and this had increased to 2.67 million a fortnight by April this year.
Despite the vast trove of valuable intelligence incriminating users, the decision to close the app and go public also took into account the expiration of legal authority enabling access to the data, and “resource fatigue” as hundreds of officers dedicated their lives to the operation.'

'“You can only protect the source of your intelligence for so long because the longer that goes you increase the risk that the platform becomes compromised,” Mr Russo said. “We made a strategic and deliberate decision to take down the case on our own terms at a time and a place of our choosing.”'

Hope the collateral damage in any reprisals over the next few years, is low.

'The shooting is hauntingly similar to the one in Stockton in NSW on Wednesday night when a 61-year-old grandmother was shot dead after answering her front door.'

'Stacey Klimovitch was shot and killed at her home near Newcastle about 8pm on Wednesday.
Her 31-year-old daughter and eight-week-old granddaughter were inside the Queen St property at the time.'

ANOM would have to rank as one of Australia's most successful and valuable export commodities.

The crims had most of us fooled into thinking they could not add up!
When in fact, for up to 3 years, their jailbroken mobile devices had a functioning calculator app that was their front door to Mr A.F.Pea, Ms F.B. Eye. and a Romanian/Dutch/German mongrel called Tro Jan Horsner

ANOM spelt backwards = very famous Italian Renaissance Masterpiece.
So totally pwned by the MONA.

'Essentially it was a jailbroken handset that used a modified operating system – removing any of the normal text, phone or GPS services that would make it trackable and traceable.

On the surface, the device would look like a normal mobile phone, but it contained a “secure” messaging service hidden behind a functioning calculator app.

In theory, the phone operated on a closed network – AN0M phones could only communicate with other AN0M phones using “military grade” encryption that transferred data via secure proxy servers.

The phones also contained a kill switch to delete contacts or any other data stored locally.'

'Initially, 50 AN0M phones were distributed in a test run, mostly to members of Australian organised criminal gangs.'

'The FBI also negotiated with a third (unnamed) country to set up a communication interception but based on a court order that allowed passing the information back to the FBI. Since October 2019, ANOM communications have been passed on to the FBI from this third country.'

Found a May 2019 news vid of 1 of the 18 indicted in the US, when Maximilian Rivkin (one of the 3 alleged admins of ANOM) was reported to be a Swedish tourist deported from Colombia without the possibility of re-entry for seven years, after he trashed the lobby of a Cartagena hotel in a fit of rage. According to Colombia’s immigration entity, Migración Colombia, Maximilian Rivkin sustained self-inflicted injuries during the incident and had to be taken to a local hospital.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back