Delisted Hugh Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

FORGOTTEN St Kilda defender Hugh Goddard has been stuck in the "isolating place" that is rehab for much of the past two years, but is now leaner and ready to deliver.

Losing weight has been a theme at the Saints, with coach Alan Richardson conceding a few players had been too heavy in 2017.

Mav Weller has dropped eight kilograms while Shane Savage is five kilograms lighter, and Goddard, 21, has followed them in trimming down.

"I've lost a little bit of weight over the break as well. It seems to be the AFL trend at the moment. I probably was a little bit heavy and had a bit of 'puppiness' with me," Goddard said.

"I feel like I've really been able to adapt my body to what's required. Trimming down has really helped my running. I'm really trying to get that speed back into my body."

After suffering a torn Achilles tendon in his left leg in June 2016, then turf toe in his right foot 364 days later, the cousin of Essendon star Brendon is trying to work back to his elite speed.

Prior to being drafted, he posted 2.98 seconds in the 20m sprint. That's an impressive time – even more so for someone who stands 196cm.

"After all injuries you don't always come back 100 per cent, but I feel like I'm pretty confident with the speed I've got and the endurance, but that's always something I can improve," Goddard said.

"Speed is definitely something I want to continue to improve, so I think that's been helped by losing a couple of kilos."

Going through that period, with essentially back-to-back serious injuries, was tough.

"There's no denying it can be a bit of an isolating place, rehab world," Goddard said.

The ruptured Achilles tendon came from an innocuous incident. Goddard went to change direction and crumpled to the ground. Surgery followed and he was out for 10 months.

Goddard returned and managed eight games in the VFL and VFL reserves before flying for a spoil and having all 108kg of Collingwood big man Mason Cox land on his foot. Another operation was required.

"It was just one of those real freaky, weird things that shouldn't happen but did. You've just got to cop it on the chin and get on with it," Goddard said.

He's been back since the first day of pre-season and has done just about everything, a very welcome change.

Goddard was drafted at No.21 in 2014 and many hold high hopes for him. He is in the last year of his contract but the backman said that did not concern him.

"It's out of your control. I just want to make the most of this year. I've put a lot of things in place to ensure that I'm giving everything I can," Goddard said.

"I won't be taking my opportunity for granted ever again. Not that I did, but just with the last two years I had, I'm making sure I'm doing everything I can to give myself the best opportunity and letting the rest take care of itself."

St Kilda bolstered its key defensive stocks by trading for Logan Austin from Port Adelaide and drafting Oscar Clavarino at No.35.

That might have been seen as a bad sign for Goddard but he said that did not worry him.

"It didn't really faze me. Obviously the club has a specific goal for the future and I guess with the injuries that I've had, maybe that was the thinking behind it," Goddard said.

"I'm not too fussed at all. I can only control what I can control."

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

FORGOTTEN St Kilda defender Hugh Goddard has been stuck in the "isolating place" that is rehab for much of the past two years, but is now leaner and ready to deliver.

Losing weight has been a theme at the Saints, with coach Alan Richardson conceding a few players had been too heavy in 2017.

Mav Weller has dropped eight kilograms while Shane Savage is five kilograms lighter, and Goddard, 21, has followed them in trimming down.

"I've lost a little bit of weight over the break as well. It seems to be the AFL trend at the moment. I probably was a little bit heavy and had a bit of 'puppiness' with me," Goddard said.

"I feel like I've really been able to adapt my body to what's required. Trimming down has really helped my running. I'm really trying to get that speed back into my body."

After suffering a torn Achilles tendon in his left leg in June 2016, then turf toe in his right foot 364 days later, the cousin of Essendon star Brendon is trying to work back to his elite speed.

Prior to being drafted, he posted 2.98 seconds in the 20m sprint. That's an impressive time – even more so for someone who stands 196cm.

"After all injuries you don't always come back 100 per cent, but I feel like I'm pretty confident with the speed I've got and the endurance, but that's always something I can improve," Goddard said.

"Speed is definitely something I want to continue to improve, so I think that's been helped by losing a couple of kilos."

Going through that period, with essentially back-to-back serious injuries, was tough.

"There's no denying it can be a bit of an isolating place, rehab world," Goddard said.

The ruptured Achilles tendon came from an innocuous incident. Goddard went to change direction and crumpled to the ground. Surgery followed and he was out for 10 months.

Goddard returned and managed eight games in the VFL and VFL reserves before flying for a spoil and having all 108kg of Collingwood big man Mason Cox land on his foot. Another operation was required.

"It was just one of those real freaky, weird things that shouldn't happen but did. You've just got to cop it on the chin and get on with it," Goddard said.

He's been back since the first day of pre-season and has done just about everything, a very welcome change.

Goddard was drafted at No.21 in 2014 and many hold high hopes for him. He is in the last year of his contract but the backman said that did not concern him.

"It's out of your control. I just want to make the most of this year. I've put a lot of things in place to ensure that I'm giving everything I can," Goddard said.

"I won't be taking my opportunity for granted ever again. Not that I did, but just with the last two years I had, I'm making sure I'm doing everything I can to give myself the best opportunity and letting the rest take care of itself."

St Kilda bolstered its key defensive stocks by trading for Logan Austin from Port Adelaide and drafting Oscar Clavarino at No.35.

That might have been seen as a bad sign for Goddard but he said that did not worry him.

"It didn't really faze me. Obviously the club has a specific goal for the future and I guess with the injuries that I've had, maybe that was the thinking behind it," Goddard said.

"I'm not too fussed at all. I can only control what I can control."

Hugh has been burning up the track according to sources around the club , me lol . But others have said it too . He was too heavy last year so like Mav and Savage he has lost a lot of extra weight to get his speed back up to where it should be . Hearing about his form so far I think that Brown might be looking over his shoulder . Of course there is a question of wether we can play all of Carlisle , Brown and Goddard in the same team . But throw in Robbo , Gears , Webster it’s a strong line up . The only problem being not many teams play a 3rd tall forward these days . The days of the second resting ruckman drifting now to a pocket have gone as most teams are about speed now .

Very happy to be the big fella's advocate this year.

It's a year where hopefully he gets some continuity and builds towards solidifying a plce in the 22

Loving that he is looking slimmer. I'm hoping to see him work up and down the ground and not just plonk himself in the back 50

Hugh played in a practice game for Sandy while the Saints took on Brisbane . In a wild and very wet day he tried hard but was swamped by how often the ball game down . Still he didn’t play too bad . At this stage I think he would be first chosen if Carlisle or Brown got injured imo. I’m really hoping by the end of the year he will have taken over Browns spot as he is the future imo.

Go Sainters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hugh Goddard Eight kicks, seven handballs, seven marks, one tackle

Hugh played one of his better games in defence. He was swung forward as well, and his contested work was really good. He’s coming off some significant injuries, but he’s finding some really good form at both ends of the ground.

Go Saints

Hugh Goddard has looked lively for Sandringham in recent weeks after returning from long-term injuries, and the 21-year-old swingman brings aggression to the contest and a natural ability at both ends of the ground.

Go Saints

Hamill says - Hugh Goddard 7 kicks, 7 handballs, 5 marks, 5 tackles

Hugh’s going exceptionally well. He’s turned his form around the last four weeks, and he’s using his man as a really good starting point, so he can be trusted in contests. We’re seeing a lot of growth in Hugh, and he’s got a really good understanding of what he has to do on game-day and what he can control, and selection will take care of itself.

Go Saints

The defender has been building well in recent weeks, with plaudits coming from Sandringham coach Aaron Hamill. Goddard took 11 marks along with 21 disposals in a Sandringham defence that conceded 62 inside 50s. Why has he not been given a game in the seniors this year while Brown has been out injured ?

Go Saints

The defender has been building well in recent weeks, with plaudits coming from Sandringham coach Aaron Hamill. Goddard took 11 marks along with 21 disposals in a Sandringham defence that conceded 62 inside 50s. Why has he not been given a game in the seniors this year while Brown has been out injured ?

Go Saints
Question we'd all like to know the answer to.
No opportunity at AFL regardless of VFL performance can mean lost hope for a young player.

Hamill says -
Hugh Goddard 10 kicks, eight handballs, 10 marks, three tackles

Hugh’s been very good in terms of marking the footy the last three weeks in particular. He’s going really well in terms of his body positioning as well as his ability to read the ball in flight, take stock and mark the ball, which alleviates a lot of pressure. He’s certainly improving, Hugh, his last three weeks have been probably more like the Hugh Goddard that we know, and he’s got a real clear mindset about what we want to do with the footy.

Go Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back