Delisted Hugh Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

78756e36a44385c2a722e0d1250efdc9.jpg

Not bad for Hugh , 9 disposals in the first quarter alone . Don't know how many he got in the second quarter but only played first half as the Saints aren't rushing him back which is good to see. Give him time to work into it . My guess would be he will play in the development team until he's fit enough to play a full game then into Sandys side . Then it will be a case of injury or a horses for courses , like playing a team with three big forwards like the Saints , oh bugger , lol.

Thanks to Hayes4PM

Sent via HAL

Last edited:
Hugh is in the development squad again this week, hoping to play near a full game. If he gets through ok he might be in Sandy first side next week . Or maybe another week in the development squad if he struggles a bit. Given that he got 9 touches in the first quarter last week when he only played a half it sounds promising that as long as he doesn't pull up sore that he might be playing for Sandy next week. Great to see him progressing so far in his comeback.

Sent via HAL

24adcb75e62b17456d7df8b90e486c29.jpg

We could have used him against Geelong especially if Black plays this week or they play two ruckman with Stanley resting in the forwardline.

Yep could have used him even just to have swung forward in the second half or as the back up ruckman instead of Bruce.

Sent via HAL

Last edited:

Hugh played in the development squad while he was not listed in the best six players , the team had a big win so you would expect the best players to be mids and forwards not chb.

Hugh played 3 quarters of the game , they are hoping he plays a full game next week .

Lindsey Gilbee said it's not so much about how many touches he gets but getting minutes into his legs and getting him out there getting a game after a series injury to his Achilles.

22 / 04 / 17

Sent via HAL

Last edited:
Coming along nicely now. He played a half last week, 3 quarters this week , hoping for a full game next week. Then it's a matter of backing it up for about 5 or so weeks and hopefully get his confidence and skill back to where it was before the injury. Once the form is back he will of course try push to get back in the seniors but I think they won't rush him as he needs to have full confidence in his Achilles and to have free movement.

The tests will come when he plays chb against a strong leading forward . Also with such a young backline around him I think the coach at Sandy will be looking at him to Marshall the troops.

Sent via HAL

Gilbee said that they won't rush him into Sandy seniors side because the gap between the development side and the seniors is quite large so Hugh might play a few games in the development squad to get his confidence before he breaks back into Sandy seniors side where I imagine he will play out the year unless we have a bad run with injuries later on.

Sent via HAL

Hugh has been named at full back in Sandys development team. Hopefully he can get through the entire game , that's the plan according to Gilbee. A couple good games might get him into Sandys senior side. The date is 27/ 04/ 2017 . I going to start putting dates to make it easier to follow Hugh's rise back to the Saints side .

His experience will be great for the younger defenders around him and that alone will help give him confidence by being in charge of the backline . The younger kids will look to him for advice on where to be and ask him questions about playing for the Saints .

I would like to know how players feel before a game as when I played junior football I was always nervous until I ran out on the ground then I was excited and ready to go. The only games I got nervous was my first few when I played in the back pocket . I hated having to defend even at that age . I was happy when there was an injury to one of our normal wingers and so I was moved there . I think it was going to be just a one of thing but I was best on ground so I was there for the rest of the season. Importantly I had found my position. I loved playing there and was listed in our best players quite a few times during the season. That was under 14s but I stopped at the end of the year because I was going to have to play in the under 16s and they played Sunday afternoon which I didn't want to do because I hated going to school the next day feeling sore as I found it hard to concentrate. Also I was a little kid and most of the under 16s were much bigger and it was a much rougher league.

Sent via HAL

Last edited:
Hugh is playing at full back in the development league tomorrow 30/04/17 at Caseys home ground tomorrow at 11 am get down there and support Hugh and others if you can . I'm going to try to make it but they way my back feels at the moment might be doubtful. If someone makes it please let me know how Hugh goes in case I can't get there.

Sent via HAL

Sandy Development squad had a good win over Casey at Casey today 1/05/17 .

Hugh played 4 quarters, had 23 disposals and kicked two goals . Will be interesting to see how long before he gets raised up to Sandy seniors .
1/05/17
Sent via HAL

Last edited:
23 and a goal is pretty good stats for a full back.

Apparently he was swung forward late in the game , I should have mentioned that but I'm only going on what I was told . Unfortunately I couldn't get there again.

Sent via HAL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another couple games like that and he should be in Sandys main side , I don't think they will want to rush him . Especially with the Saints backline playing so well at the moment . I suppose they have to get him into the Sandys first fairly quickly in case of an injury to Brown or Carlisle. The longer they take the more risk of him not being ready to step up in case of injury. I wonder what they would do if Brown or Carlisle got injured now , would someone like Couglan be up to it ? They couldn't play one of the Irish boys could they because they are rookies unless they promote one .

Sent via HAL

Another couple games like that and he should be in Sandys main side , I don't think they will want to rush him . Especially with the Saints backline playing so well at the moment . I suppose they have to get him into the Sandys first fairly quickly in case of an injury to Brown or Carlisle. The longer they take the more risk of him not being ready to step up in case of injury. I wonder what they would do if Brown or Carlisle got injured now , would someone like Couglan be up to it ? They couldn't play one of the Irish boys could they because they are rookies unless they promote one .

Sent via HAL

Sigh.
I suspect it would be up to Gilbert again.

Sigh.
I suspect it would be up to Gilbert again.

Gilbert is the go to man that's for sure , that's why he gets a game all the time , I like having him in the side for that reason . And I prefer him in the ruck as opposed to Bruce.

Sent via HAL

Hugh has been named on the bench for Sandy but also named in the development squad so I'm not sure which one he is playing . Hope it's Sandy because they are on tv this week. Would love to see how he is traveling for myself even though it's a step up from the development squad to Sandys side , but he has to do it eventually and the sooner the better. It's a nice morning but a little windy which probably means it will be blowing a gale down one end , I'm guessing down the end with the small stand .

Sent via HAL

Hugh played in Sandys side today 6/05/17 his first game at that standard . A miserable day for footy with lots of rain in first term and a swirling wind making marking the ball hard . Hugh struggled in the conditions as did all the bigger men but wasn't beaten 1 on 1 which is all you can ask in those sort of conditions . Just getting through the game will help his confidence with his Achilles. Sandy struggled home to win by a couple of goals in a very low standard game mainly caused by the conditions.

Sent via HAL

Last edited:
I wonder if the Saints selectors have ever thought of trying Hugh in the forward line at the start of a game when he has a bit more match practice. Because it's important that he keep up his ability to be able to play forward as there might be times in the seniors when they decide to throw his forward because of injury or because the forward line isn't playing well. It would be a good idea that he doesn't forget how to play forward while he is still playing for Sandy .

I don't think I would move him until he is completely over his injury and is match fit. Don't want to put too much pressure on him too soon . I was so happy to see him get a game in Sandys senior side last week. I hope it's the sign of things to come . It was just a shame for all the players trying to get back in the Saints lineup that the weather was so bad . Especially the wind because you can't tell how hard it is to mark when you are watching the tv . The big blokes had a terrible time trying to judge their marks .

The Saints play inside so often that you forget how hard it can be when the conditions are really bad . I think we might struggle if we cop those sort of conditions when we play in Tassie or one of the other interstate venues .

If Hugh can get his confidence and fitness back , he may be a handy back up towards the end of the season when players are usually tired and need a break for a game. Will be Handy to rest Brown or Carlisle at some stage before the finals if we end up making it.

Sent via HAL

Last edited:
Still waiting for the sides for this weekend to see if Hugh is still in Sandys senior team. I am assuming that he will be as he's too good for the development team now that he's back to playing the whole game . It was different when he was only playing a half and so forth , then he had to be in the development team. I think now he will take a key position at maybe full back or centre half back as long as he is match fit for it otherwise he might just get a spot coming on and off the bench for another game or two. Everything depends on how he's pulling up after games and whether he feels comfortable with his Achilles now. Last week he did some good things but like all the big men struggled with the tricky wind making it hard to take marks . Hopefully we will get better conditions this week as Sandy are on the road for the first time this year playing Coburg who have been struggling the last few weeks. It is a game Sandy are expected to win and win well if they are going to be a serious force this season.

Sandy will need Hugh to get his confidence back in a hurry before some of the big games come around so hopefully this one will help.

Sent via HAL

The Sandy vs Coburg game is on Sunday 14th of May starting at 2:00pm in the afternoon .

Hugh Goddard has been announced as Centre Half Back in the team so looking forward to Hugh having a good game in a key position .

With the chance of delisting at the end of the year in all the minds of players playing for Sandy instead of the Saints every game is a challenge. Although I think Hugh is pretty safe since he's just come back from injury and he is a big hope for the future you don't want to leave anything to chance . Hugh also wants to be in good enough form so if there in an injury in the seniors to one of the key defenders then he will be chosen to replace that person. As everybody knows once your in the team it's much easier to stay in if you are in form and fit .

Every game for Hugh this year is a challenge as he gets himself back to match fit and full of confidence.

This week he's up against P McEvoy , who has played 4 games but only kicked 3 goals so Hugh has a chance to build his confidence by backing himself against his probably less experienced foe .

Sent via HAL

Last edited:
Sandy beat Coburg by 11 points in a come from behind win . Coburg tried hard but are still winless as Paddy and Long tore them up in the last quarter. Paddy ended up with 4 goals and 4 points . Waiting to see who the best players were and how Hugh Goddard played.

Ok, just heard from one of the guys from the site who went down and watched , Hugh played at full back and did his job which is all you can ask of someone coming back from injury .

Sent via HAL

Last edited:
On the weekend Hugh had 5 kicks and 3 handballs playing at full back but he kept his opponent down to less which is all you want your full back to do. Some times a full back will have more but not a great deal more . And the last quarter sounds like the ball spent more time up the other end where Paddy was dominating. Sandy have struggled to win the last two games against low sides but a win is a win . We should find out how they are really going next week when I think they may be playing a side in form .

Sent via HAL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back