Delisted Hugh Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

From SEN player ratings.

1 Achilles.
2 Achilles.
3 Achilles.
4 VFL Got through comeback game from Achilles injury unscathed in VFL development league. -
5 VFL Played three quarters in the development league and was solid. Not far off VFL senior return. -
6 VFL Got through another game in the development league and is nearing a senior VFL return. -
7 VFL First senior VFL outings after injury and was handy, but looked a tad rusty too.

Sandy have named Hugh Goddard at Centre Half Back this week against the Northern Blues . He will be playing on Liam Jones who has experience playing at both the Bulldogs and now Carlton. So it will be a tough match for Hugh but one that he needs in his build up to trying to get ready to play in the ones. Paddy showed the way this weekend by playing well for a number of weeks he has returned to the Saints side pushing Bruce out . This is what Hugh has to do once he has his confidence back , play top footy for awhile then he will get his chance .

Sandy play at Preston , this Saturday at 2:00 in the afternoon . Unfortunately the Saints are playing at the same time . Preston isn't too far away from me though I don't know where their ground is as I don't know Preston at all.

Going to be a tough game with rain expected during the day and sure to be cold as well.

Sent via HAL

Last edited:
The weather outlook is much better now , no rain expected just cloudy and 19c which is a nice day for this time of day. Will make it much better for Hugh with not much wind either the bigger players will have a bigger say in the outcome of the game . Hugh should have more stats given that he will be in more of the play at CHB as opposed to full back. Josh Bruce has been dropped so will give Sandy a target instead of Paddy who was promoted.

Sent via HAL

Hugh struggled today playing on McKay who had a fair bit of the ball but the ball was down that end a lot . The mids and forwards from Sandy couldn't prevent the ball from entering the Northern Blues forward line constantly. As with the other backs Hugh was swamped at times . He had less than 10 Disposals and found it hard to make his mark on the game . Sandy were well beaten . Their poor form over the last couple of weeks has finally hurt them.

Still It's all part of the game for Hugh , he will learn from that and move on like his teammates. In a way it's a good reminder how far he still has to go to return to full form and confidence.

Sent via HAL

Saints auction.
a18e31eb3a263402d292fbc621282c8f.jpg

St Kilda Saints 2017 Match Worn Indigenous Guernsey - Hugh Goddard No.#23
ST KILDA SAINTS 2017 MATCH WORN INDIGENOUS GUERNSEY - HUGH GODDARD NO.#23
SKU: SK17IG23
The 2017 St Kilda Football Club indigenous guernsey represents the land of the Yorta Yorta people, a tribute to the area from which Saints’ forward Jade Gresham’s family hails.

The traditional St Kilda tri-colour have been adjusted on the guernsey to form an abstract geographical representation of the Yorta Yorta lands, while an intricate detail reminiscent of a turtle’s shell runs through the red and black panels. A homage to the Murray River, featuring two long-neck turtles, flows horizontally through the design, further showcasing the history of the Yorta Yorta people.

Jade and his mother, Michelle, played a key role in designing this year’s guernsey.

Michelle Gresham explained the relevance of the feature pieces, saying they mean far more than just decoration.
“The Yorta Yorta people traditionally lived in the area surrounding the junction of the Goulburn and Murray Rivers,” Mrs Gresham said.

“Now we’re spread right across north-eastern Victoria and southern New South Wales, but the Murray and the long neck turtle will always represent our heritage.
“To have this shown on the guernsey that my son and his teammates will wear is incredibly special; it means so much to my family and I.”

Bid Now to own a true piece of St Kilda Saints History with this Hugh Goddard Number #23 Guernsey.
Personally Signed
*Match Worn if player is selected
AFLPA certificate of authenticity
Custom player fit

The Club will contact the auction winner after processing

I wish I had the money to buy the jumper but I can't afford to make a bid on it . Somebody will get a special piece of history as I love the jumper .
Sent via HAL

Last edited:
Unfortunately the Zebras copped an absolute hiding by Footscray tonight . Haven't seen the stats of the players yet but it won't be pretty given the woeful score line. We kicked 1 goal after half time and they kicked lots . We were scoreless in the third quarter. Final score was 137 to 39 . Nearly a hundred point loss . Very poor considering the side we had in . I know their side had a lot of big bodies like Cloke and Redpath but still a very poor performance. Lonie the only stand out for us on what's been a terrible day for the Saints . I'm sort of hoping Hugh didn't play as I haven't seen the team yet just because we got flogged . The zebras have to put this game behind them and move on to the next one .

Sent via HAL

Just found out that Hugh Goddard did play tonight but like many of his team mates was very quiet which considering the ball would have been down back a lot would be disappointing for Hugh . Still he is trying to get his form back after a bad injury , maybe he is still a bit careful how he moves . I don't think he has full confidence in his Achilles yet which is understandable . I doubt he will make it into the seniors this year . You have to remember that he hadn't established himself in the team when he hurt his leg so it's like he has started all over again .

Sent via HAL

Always start to get nervous at this time of year as names are being floated around everywhere for players who might be traded at the end of the year. Thankfully no one has mentioned Hugh yet probably because he's playing in the twos and they aren't paying attention. Hugh has a big future hopefully at St Kilda especially once he gets fully fit and gets his confidence back. Can see him holding down either full back or Centre Half Back for a long time possibly starting sometime next year depending on his form and Browns form and fitness of course.

If Hugh takes over a key position next year and shows a lot of promise then the offers will come charging in because he's young and can play back or forward . There is no doubting he has the potential to be a star .

That's all my opinion of course, and I may be slightly biased, lol.
Go Saints.

Sent via HAL

Always start to get nervous at this time of year as names are being floated around everywhere for players who might be traded at the end of the year. Thankfully no one has mentioned Hugh yet probably because he's playing in the twos and they aren't paying attention. Hugh has a big future hopefully at St Kilda especially once he gets fully fit and gets his confidence back. Can see him holding down either full back or Centre Half Back for a long time possibly starting sometime next year depending on his form and Browns form and fitness of course.

If Hugh takes over a key position next year and shows a lot of promise then the offers will come charging in because he's young and can play back or forward . There is no doubting he has the potential to be a star .

That's all my opinion of course, and I may be slightly biased, lol.
Go Saints.

Sent via HAL

Would be a disaster to trade him at this point of time.
a) Coughlan is not showing much, so we would be left with little depth.
b) He hasn't even been playing at VFL level, except a few rusty games, his perceived value would be next to nothing.

So : Benefits to trading him, - we receive next to nothing in trade.
Benefits to keeping him, - tall defender depth ( we know he is good enough as backup ).
- Still has the potential to be a star defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be a disaster to trade him at this point of time.
a) Coughlan is not showing much, so we would be left with little depth.
b) He hasn't even been playing at VFL level, except a few rusty games, his perceived value would be next to nothing.

So : Benefits to trading him, - we receive next to nothing in trade.
Benefits to keeping him, - tall defender depth ( we know he is good enough as backup ).
- Still has the potential to be a star defender.

Yes , well said.

Sent via HAL

Sandy are playing Collingwood again this weekend on Sunday at 12:00 . Hugh Goddard has been named at full back again . Obviously word has filtered through that the Saints want him to develop as a full back considering Carlisle will be Centre Half Back for a long time I think that is a wise move. Brown has played really well this year but you would think he more than likely will only have one more season in him.

I imagine Hugh will play out the year for Sandy at full back and if his form is ok next year might play sometimes as a third tall defender if the situation arises that we need one.

It's a pretty strong looking side Sandy have on paper so they had better win after the last two weeks . If the side is struggling I wonder if they have thought of throwing Hugh forward as he's a good forward as well. Would love for him to kick a bag.

Sent via HAL

Last edited:
Collingwood beat Sandy by a couple goals in an entertaining game at Collingwood today . Hugh did ok but seems to be lumbering a bit possibly because he had no preseason fitness work and he is getting found out a bit because of his lack of fitness. There is no surprise in that , it was always going to be a problem for him . He's trying hard but will probably struggle for the rest of the season because of that lack of fitness. But just getting through games will help his confidence for next year. Hopefully , if he doesn't get any more injuries this year , he can go into the preseason and work really hard with full confidence that his Achilles will stand up .

A strong preseason next season will get him back into contention for the ones next year. This year was always going to be a struggle. The important thing is just to get games under his belt at the moment.

Sent via HAL

Hugh had Ten disposals against Collingwood plus this great mark although someone suggested a free kick was paid to Collingwood for something else.

95380e3778ed42386aa93ff53cb97b0a.jpg

Thanks to Dave Savell again for the great photo . Check out his great photos at davesavell.com

Sent via HAL

Last edited:
The fact that both Hugh and Freeman are getting games week after week after their injuries is great . If both players can continue building confidence in their bodies this season then they will both be able to put in big preseasons for next year . Although both will probably be on special training regimens over the preseason to make sure they continue to build .

With some luck they will both be like new players next season which will be a big bonus for the Saints .

Hugh has been doing all right at full back even though he is lacking fitness . Next year I hope he will be pushing for a spot in the seniors which is where he belongs . I have no doubt that had he not gotten injured when he did that by now he would have been established in the ones .

Sent via HAL

This week Sandy face Williamstown at their freezing ground . Biggest game of the year so far for Sandy . Will be a hard game for big players like Hugh because of the wind they get down there . Probably will rain and be about minus 5 temperatures with the wind coming in off the bay . Going to be a cold day for supporters. Anywhere else and I might have gone but that ground is just too cold for me .

Sent via HAL

Hugh Goddard was withdrawn from Sandys side this week . Didn't play in Sandys side or the development team . Outside chance he is been held over for the seniors next week given the injury to Brown. But I see that as unlikely. More likely that he picked up an injury at training late during the week . Will have to wait until they give the injury list next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Hope he isn't having trouble with his Achilles again . Anytime there is an injury cloud over someone who's had a long term injury you always think the worse. So fingers crossed for him . Shame if he is injured because he would have been an outside chance to replace Brown next week if Brown is going to miss .

Sent via HAL

I don't usually post rumours but this might be bad . According to a post on the Saints site Goddard may be out injured for the rest of the year. No idea yet of the injury or if it's true but the fact that he didn't play for anyone on Saturday is the big worry.

I assume we will find out in the next day or two . Fingers crossed it's wrong.

Sent via HAL

If Goddard is injured I hope it isn't his Achilles again because to redo an injury like that will be devastating. If it is the same injury you wonder will he ever be ok again. As sad as it sounds this could ruin his career because if it is the same you imagine he will never have full confidence in his Achilles again. Still have to stay positive because we haven't heard anything yet . Might just be a rumour. Fingers crossed.

Sent via HAL

Well bad news today . Hugh is booked in to see a doctor tomorrow as he has a season ending foot injury . Possibly turf toe or something similar. Poor Hugh , it's been a tough couple of years for the kid. He hurt his toe a couple of weeks ago playing for Sandy. All we can hope for now is that he will be ok to do pre season work over the summer period. Watch Jamie Cox do the injury report below.

https://shar.es/1BnqHy

Sent via HAL

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back