Hugh Greenwood debacle

Remove this Banner Ad

Its nearly impossible to fathom how Cameron and Co. were all sitting around looking at the list and came up with 'Greenwood' as a guy we should delist and relist.... above a bunch of others that could have easily been put forward ahead of him.

Either there is more to the decision than meets the eye or Cameron / List Managers are completely incompetent.

Cameron should create an account here and do some Polls before he makes decisions. I think collectively, we could do a better job of it then what they are doing!
Caleb Graham anyone - a logical alternative to Greenwood - no-one would want him OR McPherson for Ch....'s sake - they were happy to offload him a few months back so if he was nabbed, no loss and more salary freed up. Don't tell me Dew wouldn't have had to sign off on such a tactic that effectively allowed the Club to self mutilate itself. ....and if anybody tells me what a lovely man Greenwood is, good Christian boy who's word is good and integrity intact, I'll just pray for guidance - which is what maybe that good Christian boy should have done!

He might want to bone up on the whole 30 pieces of silver thing next time he’s at church
Literally sold us out for a wad of cash

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The very little I know about the Church (from Sunday School a LONG time ago) didn't JC chase out the money lenders from the Temple? Maybe Hugh should practice what he made out he preached!

I don’t even really get it. He was under contract but delisted? Didn’t that put him at risk of North or any other club drafting him anyway before GC? Or could any of the other 17 clubs go after him in the same way north did? If so this was the stupidest trade play in modern history……??? 🤯

I don’t even really get it. He was under contract but delisted? Didn’t that put him at risk of North or any other club drafting him anyway before GC? Or could any of the other 17 clubs go after him in the same way north did? If so this was the stupidest trade play in modern history……??? 🤯
Spot on - they dumbly thought the other Clubs would not draft him and honour an unwritten law - that went well!

Yeah. They were relying on the unspoken rule that clubs dont usually go after players that you have committed to re-drafting, and relying on Hugh not being tempted and stay to his word given his apparant love for the club.
They thought it would get passed by given it seemed most were focused on the draft that this point, and given Hugh's age and latest injury... But it backfired. But the fact they did put him out there rather than someone else they could afford to lose, says something. Like they wanted him, but putting him at risk to be taken, they must have thought it's a risk they were prepared to take -- for whatever reason.

The two parties had an agreement. Greenwood told the Suns hierarchy he would reject any offers, with the 29-year-old able to set the terms on a contract at the draft, and re-join the Suns. Simple, right?

No. Enter the Roos, backed by the man who brought Greenwood to the Adelaide Crows, David Noble, and former Suns list boss Scott Clayton. They offered a three-year when he only had one at the Suns, more money and something that hasn’t been broadcast to the public – the prospect of a job post footy. The goalposts had been moved and Greenwood understandably went for it.

It’s rustled the feathers of some of the young players at the Suns that this has come to pass but the majority understand the decision and have thrown their support behind Greenwood who has been given a chance to secure the future of his young family.

Greenwood called the leadership group to inform them as things progressed. It shocked them. They told the club’s bosses they wanted the big-bodied midfielder to stay but it was too late.

A situation the club thought it was in control of had snowballed out of control and they couldn’t possibly match North Melbourne’s offer.

The Roos had to act quickly. It’s understood they have concerns around a player in a similar role who may not be available next year.

There has been so much spin from the Suns they could be in a cycle class.

At first they all went to ground. Each of the leaders handballed to job of speaking to the next man. Ultimately new football manager Wayne Campbell was the one to speak publicly first in his first day in the office.

Incredibly, the Suns were willing to let Greenwood go, despite the belief he would stay. They want to move from a Hawthorn-like list strategy to one the Sydney Swans have used where the core group are secured and the others are role players.

All-Australian Touk Miller and captain David Swallow are midfield mainstayers and they want to give youngsters Matt Rowell, Noah Anderson, Brayden Fiorini, Sam Flanders and Elijah Hollands game time to ensure they remain at the club.

Ideally they wanted Greenwood to play half of the season and for the youngsters to go past him but Greenwood is in outstanding shape and while he knew spots in the best 22 were going to be tough, those inside and outside of the club backed him to get there.

Those people outside of the club who rate him are the fans and some have already confirmed they have cancelled their membership because of it.

The longer term list strategy was put in place to come into affect at the end of 2022, not now.

So the Suns this year gave up Hugh Greenwood, Will Brodie, pick 19, 62 & 64 ... & received a future 2nd & 4th in return.

This comes a couple of years after they gave up pick 2 for Lachie Weller.

Are we sure the Suns are not an AFL version of 'Springtime for Hitler'?
We all have our regrets

the Tigers taking Banik and Lounder as pick 1s and having them delisted a couple of years later shows the Tigs are far from immune. Tambling is another Tigs utensil up

Scott Clayton really mustn't have liked the way he exited the club BUT it still doesn't justify Greenwood breaking his word. It's a stain that will be hard to remove. As for the promise of a job, he's often stated that he will return to Albuquerque, New Mexico (where his wife comes from) and move into Basket Ball coaching BUT the word mercenary comes to mind when discussing dear Hughie! P.S. The Club Management truly botched this big time in any case.

Port must have come from that trade laughing now.
Add Pittard to that too

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Pittard was steak knives and actually was pretty serviceable. Him Hartung and Marley Williams were all pretty serviceable as limited players and either could have possibly got longer tenures if our list wasn't in such desperate need for turnover when their contracts expired. Can't compare any to polec who has talent in spades. Also that trade would never have happened if we were not trying to downgrade the pick taking TT in the draft.

Scott Clayton really mustn't have liked the way he exited the club BUT it still doesn't justify Greenwood breaking his word. It's a stain that will be hard to remove. As for the promise of a job, he's often stated that he will return to Albuquerque, New Mexico (where his wife comes from) and move into Basket Ball coaching BUT the word mercenary comes to mind when discussing dear Hughie! P.S. The Club Management truly botched this big time in any case.
If your delisted, hardly a mercenary

You can not cry over spilt milk. What is done, is done nothings going to change it. An sulking about it will not change a thing.

All you can do is learn from it and look for positives. I rate Miller and Weller. Anderson and Rowell has had a few pre seasons at the club, should be ready to step up. An add Hollands and Davies to the mix.
You can not cry over spilt milk. What is done, is done nothings going to change it. An sulking about it will not change a thing.

All you can do is learn from it and look for positives. I rate Miller and Weller. Anderson and Rowell has had a few pre seasons at the club, should be ready to step up. An add Hollands and Davies to the mix.

There is a pretty big difference between crying over spilt milk and calling a shitful situation "a glass half full".

There is literally no good thing to come out of giving a senior player, who is the best tackler in the game away for nothing. That is about as bad a trade off as you can get. If the Suns wanted to give a midfielder more time as you said than good, trade Greenwood for currency.

What actually happened is GC got caught trying to be tricky increasing their draft hand but got caught sleeping at the wheel.

If your delisted, hardly a mercenary
You are a mercenary when you agree to a strategy with your club - and that club then follows through on that strategy, with your word of approval - and then you break that agreement and chase the money BUT the club still stuffed up big time in even opening this doorway in the first place. Not a good look, either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on - they dumbly thought the other Clubs would not draft him and honour an unwritten law - that went well!
What 'unwritten law'?

If North were dumb enough to delist Cunnington or any of our other senior players, and some club offered them much more cash than they were contracted for, then we'd deserve to lose him.

And I wouldn't blame the poaching club one iota. Not even if it were Hawthorn.

You want to keep a player? Don't delist him.

Or only delist him if you know your contract is worth more than he will get elsewhere.

This isn't rocket science.

Somebody at GC HQ messed this up, royal.

And this isn't M2F the North fan speaking. This is common sense.

The Roos had to act quickly. It’s understood they have concerns around a player in a similar role who may not be available next year.

implying a good player in a similar role at North isn't getting the vaccine? interesting

The more I think about it the more the Gold Coast got swindled here…. Deal with north was already done (noble and Hugh are good mates) and they’ve pulled a shifty to get him over.

just the suns were stupid enough to take the bait - serves them right!

who’s getting sacked?

I’m not as down on this as most people. Yes, it was definitely a balls up & we’ll miss him in 2022. We took a calculated risk & we got it wrong. I don’t blame Hugh. North’s offer was too good to refuse. He didn’t earn much from his sporting career until he joined the SUNS. The security of 3 years on good money is huge for a guy with a young family. The chance to play in Tasmania, in front of his Dad on a ground that suits his skillset etc. Bowes is due for another run in the midfield. Anderson is getting bigger & stronger all the time. Rowell…Maybe Davies gets more games in 2022 than he would otherwise. Weller could get back in there. Touk is in AA form. We have quite a few onballers. They’re not the same as Hugh, but they’re not hopeless. We didn’t have as many options as people are suggesting for the delist/relist strategy. Some of the names thrown up are rookies or have already left the club. There are a couple of players I’d have tried before Hugh, but there could be good reasons why they weren’t used. We will miss Hugh, but we got good value from him while he was with us. I’m still excited for 2022

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You are a mercenary when you agree to a strategy with your club - and that club then follows through on that strategy, with your word of approval - and then you break that agreement and chase the money BUT the club still stuffed up big time in even opening this doorway in the first place. Not a good look, either way.
Agree.
3rd Club in 6 years if that's not a mercanary what is?

Well its awful in every way except one. I'm going for the silver lining here. We need genuine rivalries and now we have a reason for one. Yes it was our stupidity, yes North were entirely within their rights to capitalise on our arrogance but that wont stop us being genuinely salty at them 😊 So this is the origin story for a good old fashioned rivalry with 2 pretty evenly matched clubs. What fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back