Free Agency Hugh Greenwood joins North Melbourne as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, I don't buy it.

You don't 'put to bed chatter' by starting with the factually incorrect statement that you are 'still on the primary list' and ending with some utter nonsense about the 'club's overall list strategy'.

I think his tweet of a few days ago reads very differently in the current context. I think he was pissed off and sarcastically repeating the nonsense arguments the club was making to him. GC delisted him, not the other way around.
Take the blinkers off mate, if he was pissed off with the club he would've just come out and said it. It wasn't a nonsense argument by the Suns it made perfect sense from their point of view. Time and again you see players make their way through the draft similar to this and other clubs just let them return/go to their desired club, it's very rare to see someone pounce like North.

I think too many people are thinking that just because the Suns delisted that this is some slight against Greenwood and that he would've been bitter about it. When in reality both parties would've discussed this in detail and that the suns obviously thought he was an excellent clubmen and things would be back to normal right after the draft like nothing had happened.

But the Suns were obviously way too naïve and this has turned into an absolute howler of a decision. Greenwood has certainly done them dirty but I don't think you can blame him with what North were offering.

Time and again you see players make their way through the draft similar to this and other clubs just let them return/go to their desired club, it's very rare to see someone pounce like North.
Agree with most of your post except that redrafting to the same club does not usually happen in the national draft for a primary listed player with two years to run on his contract. Mostly it's rookie listing or re-rookie listing a fringe player that refuses to do a medical with any other club, and all of the clubs do that so there's a gentleman's agreement not to screw each other over because what goes around comes around quickly enough.

Gold Coast is in an unusual position because as with Brisbane they've had to over-commit to their list to keep them, and additionally had an extended list with specific concessions made to them because they weren't very good a couple of years back.

Then, instead of dropping 3 extra players like other clubs had to do to get from ~40 seniors to ~37 seniors and still take three picks in the draft due to the covid-related list cuts, they had to drop a correspondingly larger number of players last year.

That has left them still somewhat overcommitted this year, and not necessarily committed to the ones they particularly wanted to keep, with opinions on some players who are now out of contract being perhaps better than they were when other players were given the contracts that go past the end of 2021.

That has forced them to try something a bit unusual with re-drafting a senior player on good money via the national draft in order to get around the 'minimum three picks in the national draft' rule. No other club is in this position, nor are they likely to be, because none of the preceding circumstances have really applied to any other club.

This reminds me of Carlos Boozer in the NBA back in the day.

He was a second round pick and signed a 3 year deal with the Cavaliers who drafted him. 2 years guarenteed and a team option for the third year. Can’t remember the exact amounts but it would’ve been less than $1 mil a year. Most second round picks in the NBA don’t amount to anything so Boozer getting two years of guaranteed money was a good deal at the time.

After 2 seasons Boozer quickly established himself as one of the better big men in the league and Cleveland had a team option for a 3rd year at the small amount. Boozer wanted security but in the NBA teams can only sign their own free agents for amounts above their salary cap room after 3 years. Cleveland could only offer Boozer a 6 year deal for $39m (below his market value). He struck a gentleman’s agreement where Cleveland would not pick up his team option but then he would sign the 6 year extension straight away which would give him the security he wanted even though he was worth more.

Once Cleveland didn’t pick up the team option, Boozer straight away signed for Utah who had salary cap space for 6 years $70 million.

I think you need to take your Kanga's goggles off mate.
Cannot agree with that given he signed a 3 year contract with the Perth Wildcats and then walked out on them to play footy for Adelaide, he has form.

Following Campbell’s interview on radio, it’s safe to Greenwood probably made the right call.

No guarantee of a contract at the end of the year.

Take the blinkers off mate, if he was pissed off with the club he would've just come out and said it. It wasn't a nonsense argument by the Suns it made perfect sense from their point of view. Time and again you see players make their way through the draft similar to this and other clubs just let them return/go to their desired club, it's very rare to see someone pounce like North.

I think too many people are thinking that just because the Suns delisted that this is some slight against Greenwood and that he would've been bitter about it. When in reality both parties would've discussed this in detail and that the suns obviously thought he was an excellent clubmen and things would be back to normal right after the draft like nothing had happened.

But the Suns were obviously way too naïve and this has turned into an absolute howler of a decision. Greenwood has certainly done them dirty but I don't think you can blame him with what North were offering.
I don't know where these blinkers are supposed to be. I called his tweet weird at the time and so it proved to be. GC him a chance to shop himself, and of the clubs that approached him, we gave him the best offer. Good luck to him. GC got what they deserved. You can read the spin or follow the money. I 'm doing the latter.

A battering ram to protect the young kids for a year or 2.
I think he is perfect for us.
He wont be around when our young ones need a payday.
perfect.

We have Cunnington, Simpkin, Anderson & Phillips as battering rams.

We don’t need him.

Why Draft Phillips last year?

Shambles, demented, joke-Club.

We don’t need him.

Phillips is one of the ones needing protecting.
Cunners and Jed play like 13-15 games each a year. I love them but we wont ever get 22 games from them.
Greenwood is a great fit for us. A hard tackling mid. We don't have one.
Simpkin isn't really what I would call a battering ram.

Phillips is one of the ones needing protecting.
Cunners and Jed play like 13-15 games each a year. I love them but we wont ever get 22 games from them.
Greenwood is a great fit for us. A hard tackling mid. We don't have one.
Simpkin isn't really what I would call a battering ram.

Anderson, Phillips and Simpkin are the scrubbers in our midfield.

LDU, Thomas and Jason are the talent needing protection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t need him.

This

It’s as terrible a list management decision by North as it is by the Suns.

North already has a few inside mids, GC doesn’t. North is supposed to be in a rebuild and you sign a near 30yr old.

Just after they punted Lyons GC cried about how they didn’t have experienced players to play in and under midfield, yes they actually said that after pushing Lyons out the door. It was bizarro world stuff.

They’ll do the same around rd18 next season. Like they do every year saying the young players struggle at the end of seasons and they need bigger bodies. They are a joke.

We don’t need him.

Is Cunnington going to be ok to play? If he is, i don't understand it from a North perspective. It is just depriving mids time in the middle to develop.

Cunnington, Simpkin, LDU, Thomas are already a solid base and then add in trying to get Powell, Phillips and Horne-Francis more midfield time. Anderson is still there if an experienced backup is needed

The young talented players at GC and their would look at this and think the club is a joke. Wouldn’t be shocked to see a few leave end of next season.

Still think the Lyons mistake was worse, but this is up there. Our list management is awful and Craig Cameron needs to be shipped out as soon as the draft is over. He is an absolute moron of the highest order, Ned Guy levels of incompetent.

Is Cunnington going to be ok to play? If he is, i don't understand it from a North perspective. It is just depriving mids time in the middle to develop.

Cunnington, Simpkin, LDU, Thomas are already a solid base and then add in trying to get Powell, Phillips and Horne-Francis more midfield time. Anderson is still there if an experienced backup is needed

Cunnington has played 18 games of the last 45 and this is excluding a cancer diagnosis at the end of the season. He can come back at his own pace now.

LDU and Simpkin are fairly unaccountable, there's probably not a better experienced player going around to pair with them given Greenwoods defensive output.

Cunnington has played 18 games of the last 45 and this is excluding a cancer diagnosis at the end of the season. He can come back at his own pace now.

LDU and Simpkin are fairly unaccountable, there's probably not a better experienced player going around to pair with them given Greenwoods defensive output.
I love the move from a list management point of view.
He is just old enough to not be asking for 4+ years and effecting our young blokes when they need a pay day.
He offers something we really don't have in our current midfield group.

I completely understand it if there are doubts about Cunnington coming back. Have an experienced big body in the middle will assist greatly

The interesting part will be trying to fit them both in as well as the other young mids

I don't think this is as bad for GC as people are making out . They have a massive list size that will need to be trimmed back and so many young talented kids who need game time .

Greenwood on big money coming off an ACL is a waste for a team not contending.

Fiorini came in and showed he is a better footballer than greenwood so its already a win . Fiorini may not be a tackling machine like greenwood but knows how to find the footy

Then you have all of Rowell , Anderson and Hollands needing games pumped into them in their preferred positions and money to keep them

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back