Free Agency Hugh Greenwood joins North Melbourne as a DFA

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've heard Ben King is happy to be delisted and re drafted if it helps the club out...

bc27

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Anybody can be delisted at any time, but they are owed the value that remains on their contract one way or another and it's going to be included in the teams salary cap. These players are cut and re-drafted as it's usually in the interests of the club to do things like open up a spot on the main list, help reach the minimum required picked at the draft etc. and the players agree to it in order to help out. North are doing the same with Polec this year, Carlton did likewise with Betts. It's fairly routine.

There has been a sort of unspoken agreement that if a club is committed to these types that get chopped with a promise of being re-drafted, other clubs stay away. They are normally not Hugh Greenwood types though; generally they are young players who have struggled with injuries, fringe players who happen to have years on their contract or older veterans who are helping the club out.

This hasn't panned out well for GC.
So who pays for Greenwood’s contract next year? Do Gold Coast lose that contract off their cap?

Kings of Lygon

All Australian
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
So who pays for Greenwood’s contract next year? Do Gold Coast lose that contract off their cap?

100% on North now. As Greenwood was a FA, whatever was agreed to in that contract when leaving Crom is set in stone, he was always getting that money regardless of if he was playing or not. If North have added an extra year to it, they just pay whatever was agreed to, but they are footing the whole bill now and Greenwood is off the GC list.

Same goes if a player is delisted with a year left with no redraft promise. If no other club picks them up, their incumbent club pays and it's in their cap. If a new club signs them, they pay them as they would any other player.

bc27

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
100% on North now. As Greenwood was a FA, whatever was agreed to in that contract when leaving Crom is set in stone, he was always getting that money regardless of if he was playing or not. If North have added an extra year to it, they just pay whatever was agreed to, but they are footing the whole bill now and Greenwood is off the GC list.

Same goes if a player is delisted with a year left with no redraft promise. If no other club picks them up, their incumbent club pays and it's in their cap. If a new club signs them, they pay them as they would any other player.
Do Kangaroos have to use their pick 1 in the pre season draft to take greenwood? Or is he just signed as a free agent seperately and nth still have pick 1 in the pre season?

Kings of Lygon

All Australian
Aug 31, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Do Kangaroos have to use their pick 1 in the pre season draft to take greenwood? Or is he just signed as a free agent seperately and nth still have pick 1 in the pre season?

No, he gets onto their list as a Delisted Free Agent so he is essentially free.

Same way Tyson Stengle found his way to Geelong and Tom Campbell to St. Kilda this year. Players like Newnes (Carlton), Lyons (Brisbane) and Frawley (St. Kilda) are past examples of DFAs.

If true, this is very bizarre from the Suns.

Completely understood them giving Lyons the flick, but Greenwood has an excellent attitude and seemed to love being a Sun.

North have obviously offered to double his salary since the tweet and hes taken it.

But why gc would risk letting another club pick him up i have no idea. They had half a dozen worse fringe players to delist that no one would have poached.

I'm still not 100% sure what's happened here but I'm fairly sure GC are morons.

North sees free decent player and offers him double his salary.
Greenwood decides to back out on what he said in his tweet for cash.
Fairly simple.

That's may not be as bad as it sounds, with bid matches and bid passing, 97 might come into Pick 80 - actually, it probably is as bad as it sounds
Wont be more than 60 odd picks in the draft total.

Hes a dfa. They still have psd 1.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I like Hugh but I'm not sure we need him unless Cunners and Jed aren't over their injuries.

Just embarrassing from GC. I assume he will come on minimum wages and GC will pick up the difference?

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I like Hugh but I'm not sure we need him unless Cunners and Jed aren't over their injuries.

Just embarrassing from GC. I assume he will come on minimum wages and GC will pick up the difference?

Kicked 0.8 goals a game two years at the Crows. He'd give you a good third tall rotating option and allow Thomas/Stephenson more time up the ground.

They can't. They have to take three open spots to the draft, which is why they delisted Greenwood in the first place.

There is a 1h DFA window after the draft which they could use I guess, if there's anyone useful left by then.

They cant take a DFA but can they not pass on pick 115 and take a delisted player (dumont or whoever) in the PSD instead?

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Why would you assume that? He was delisted so you have a brand new agreement with him likely more than he was on at GC hence him accepting.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They can't. They have to take three open spots to the draft, which is why they delisted Greenwood in the first place.

There is a 1h DFA window after the draft which they could use I guess, if there's anyone useful left by then.
how many did they have going into the draft?
I know they delisted 3, greenwood, thompson and mclennon.
Surely they had an additional spot in place too?
I guess they could trade pick 3 for 5+25 from hawks and add in one of their late ones too.
Still end up with the same list spots = picks.

No you are taking on the whole wage but you have cap to burn so its a non issue.

how many did they have going into the draft?
I know they delisted 3, greenwood, thompson and mclennon.
Surely they had an additional spot in place too?
I guess they could trade pick 3 for 5+25 from hawks and add in one of their late ones too.
Still end up with the same list spots = picks.

No they cant they had 38 on the primary list which is why they delisted those 3 players. They still cant use more than 2 picks + thompson.

Back