Rumour Hugh Greenwood waiting to re-sign!

Remove this Banner Ad

So on the pre radio broadcast over here in sunny old perth there was a discussion by the three match callers about Thor heading to Freo at the end of this season. Apparently he had tried to get there last year in the trade period and the AFC didnt want a bar of it. He still wants to get there in this years trade period... APPARENTLY. They also said this was the reason as to why he was left in the SANFL for the start of the year as he and the coaching staff were at a head because of said trade demands.

Now this makes no sense to me, he has no ties to perth, is loved by the crows, the fans, and playing group. Has anyone in the know also heard talk of this or is it Karl Langdon, Pavlich and co talking junk and filling in gaps. Jeez i hope so.

If the worst is true, where do we go with Hugh?. Whats he worth and whats a fair trade?

The bolded sounds like absolute crapola to me, it's well documented he was on a modified program all summer and had a setback with his preparation after Christmas.....Anyone that watched his 1st SANFL game could see he was some way off in conditioning and match practice and even in that game he played managed minutes and a lot up forward. Just remember Steve Saunders is on staff now.

https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-02-12/injured-crows-on-track

Greenwood has been on a modified program for much of the summer, but Pyke said the former category B rookie was set to increase his work load this week.

"Hugh's injury has settled down pretty well, I think he's doing some training this week with us," Pyke said.

"They'll graduate him back into training, but probably his last little setback after Christmas has meant he's chasing himself a little bit.

"But the expectation is he should be around the mark for round one. It will just be a case of how quickly he can build up his training, having been off to allow that to settle down properly."

The only reason why I see Hugh being linked to Freo is if they are offering him huge dollars on a long contract. That's all there could be to it. Money. He's 27 remember. He will want to maximise his earnings with the few years in the system that he has. I would hope we don't lose him.
That would be my only thought as well.

The bolded sounds like absolute crapola to me, it's well documented he was on a modified program all summer and had a setback with his preparation after Christmas.....Anyone that watched his 1st SANFL game could see he was some way off in conditioning and match practice and even in that game he played managed minutes and a lot up forward. Just remember Steve Saunders is on staff now.

https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-02-12/injured-crows-on-track

Greenwood has been on a modified program for much of the summer, but Pyke said the former category B rookie was set to increase his work load this week.

"Hugh's injury has settled down pretty well, I think he's doing some training this week with us," Pyke said.

"They'll graduate him back into training, but probably his last little setback after Christmas has meant he's chasing himself a little bit.

"But the expectation is he should be around the mark for round one. It will just be a case of how quickly he can build up his training, having been off to allow that to settle down properly."

And he was big ups in his recent interview re Saunders. Went above and beyond in his declarations in this space.

He ain't unhappy with the management of his start to the year.

It will be the first and last big contract for THE MIGHTY THOR and Alex Keath. IMHO they are both in our top twelve players and we will need to pony up.

Quite sensibly Keath has put talks on hold until later in the season, his value is going up every week. TMT continues to improve and he deserves a big pay rise. If he leaves the Crows I will give up AFL!

The rumour that he was pissed off playing SANFL is ridiculous, he might be frustrated with his injuries over summer (similar to Brouch last year) but he needed to build match fitness and we have been cuddling him through the last two matches. I am confident about TMT but slightly concerned about Alex Keath.

Our advantage is that it makes little sense spending a heap of money on a 27/28 year old if you are not a contender. It would only be a very optimistic person that would see Norf contending for a flag in the next couple of years.

Collingwood would not have much salary cap space (unless they lose Grundy ;)) same for GWS and the Eagles who will throw the kitchen sink at Kelly but Geelong have a limitless supply of “Geelong dollars”.

Probably the biggest danger is Hawthorn because they Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is his trade value worth? Do we take a shot at Rankine or Luko with it
Let's be realistic. He's a gun player but we're not getting anything close to what it would take to get either of those two.

He's precisely the sort of player we need to keep. A quality midfielder, offers a point of difference to the rest of our crop, can go forward and kick goals, is in his prime years, and most importantly, is not yet quite established enough to command a big trade. If we let him go now we're practically guaranteed to end up with less than he's worth. He's firmly a best 22 player, with some of our other mids reaching the tail end of their careers.

Give him some proper money and ensure he stays.

What is his trade value worth? Do we take a shot at Rankine or Luko with it
Depends on who and which team you're talking to. There's the average worth of a solid mid/forward. Then there's the worth of a team in desperate need of such service.

Let's be realistic. He's a gun player but we're not getting anything close to what it would take to get either of those two.

He's precisely the sort of player we need to keep. A quality midfielder, offers a point of difference to the rest of our crop, can go forward and kick goals, is in his prime years, and most importantly, is not yet quite established enough to command a big trade. If we let him go now we're practically guaranteed to end up with less than he's worth. He's firmly a best 22 player, with some of our other mids reaching the tail end of their careers.

Give him some proper money and ensure he stays.

He is worth trading if we don't see a flag opportunity in the next 3 years.

Who are the untouchable mids B Crouch, M Crouch , R Sloane H Greenwood, one isn't as good as the other 3 now is he, you would trade him for sure if there was good currency attached if not he stays. What would each of those players be worth in trade value?

KPP's are untouchable if they are quality, because they are impossible to replace, we are hoping like hell Fog replaces Tex ATM but there aren't any guarantees

Depends on who and which team you're talking to. There's the average worth of a solid mid/forward. Then there's the worth of a team in desperate need of such service.

Then if he does want to leave you find that team in desperate need and trade, at 27 it isn't going to destroy us if he leaves but the currency could bring us back in contention

He is worth trading if we don't see a flag opportunity in the next 3 years.

Who are the untouchable mids B Crouch, M Crouch , R Sloane H Greenwood, one isn't as good as the other 3 now is he, you would trade him for sure if there was good currency attached if not he stays. What would each of those players be worth in trade value?

KPP's are untouchable if they are quality, because they are impossible to replace, we are hoping like hell Fog replaces Tex ATM but there aren't any guarantees

We're not in rebuild mode yet. You wouldn't trade him now. Besides, I doubt he'll be finished in three years time. I'd expect him to go well into his early 30s.

Unfortunately, while we as supporters can see his value, we wouldn't get it if he was traded now. It's a bit like when Gunston left. We all knew he was going to be a super player, but he wasn't established enough at AFL level to let us demand that trade.

If Greenwood left now, I'd expect a pick in the late teens, if we're lucky. Possibly in the 20s. That's not worth it. He stays.

Doesn't really make sense either. He requested to leave, we knocked him back, and then we punished him by not playing him?

That would only further ensure he'd want to leave, with us in a worse position on the trading table. It would be idiotic.
That was my thoughts too. If we punish him that would only drive him further away. If the request to leave is true we would need to manage him differently.

if this club manages to lose another player of this calibre close up shop

Like it or not, at some stage in the future we will lose another high calibre player. I think your reaction would be a little over the top but I do understand that you wouldn't like it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back