Rumour Hugh Greenwood waiting to re-sign!

Perthcrow23

Senior List
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
So on the pre radio broadcast over here in sunny old perth there was a discussion by the three match callers about Thor heading to Freo at the end of this season. Apparently he had tried to get there last year in the trade period and the AFC didnt want a bar of it. He still wants to get there in this years trade period... APPARENTLY. They also said this was the reason as to why he was left in the SANFL for the start of the year as he and the coaching staff were at a head because of said trade demands.

Now this makes no sense to me, he has no ties to perth, is loved by the crows, the fans, and playing group. Has anyone in the know also heard talk of this or is it Karl Langdon, Pavlich and co talking junk and filling in gaps. Jeez i hope so.

If the worst is true, where do we go with Hugh?. Whats he worth and whats a fair trade?

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I think a lot of the media are assuming Thor was left out as they assume he is not a favoured best 22 player.

Instead of realizing he had a limited preseason and needs a few more matches than others to get match fit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Perthcrow23

Senior List
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
The only reason any credence was given to this was the fact Pav was in on the discussion. But still would he still be privvy to the inner workings at freo anymore?

Kenny Dee

All Australian
Aug 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Doesn't really make sense either. He requested to leave, we knocked him back, and then we punished him by not playing him?

That would only further ensure he'd want to leave, with us in a worse position on the trading table. It would be idiotic.
We can be quite idiotic as a club tho haha but yeah I don’t believe there is much in this

Perthcrow23

Senior List
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
It makes no sense to me for him to come here to Perth, hence my shock when they were discusssing it. The only thing that got me worried was the certainty in the way they spoke about it, like it was common knowledge in AFL circles. I havnt checked but whats his contract status? Where do we hold the cards in this?

JennyTalia

All Australian
Mar 24, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
He always seems to be happy and settled amongst the playing group but who knows. People in front of me at the footy were talking about him having interest in going back to basketball.

Not a fan of the smoke surrounding him because he is close to my favourite player and is so important to us.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
It makes no sense to me for him to come here to Perth, hence my shock when they were discusssing it. The only thing that got me worried was the certainty in the way they spoke about it, like it was common knowledge in AFL circles. I havnt checked but whats his contract status? Where do we hold the cards in this?

His contract ends this year. He signed a two year deal at the end of 2017.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
He always seems to be happy and settled amongst the playing group but who knows. People in front of me at the footy were talking about him having interest in going back to basketball.

Not a fan of the smoke surrounding him because he is close to my favourite player and is so important to us.

He's always been pretty vocal about basketball being his favourite sport, but I don't think at this stage he would be looking to quit footy to go back to it. He tried his hand at that and made the decision to move away from basketball because footy gave him a pathway at the elite level that he just wasn't getting in basketball.

https://www.afc.com.au/news/2018-12-20/hughs-return-to-basketball

He'll go back to basketball once his footy career is over, either as a player or a coach.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well I think if he wants to go to Freo and who knows, he might, then we have to make getting Freo's 1st rounder part of the deal - maybe Hugh and our 2nd (not the carlton 2nd we have) for their 1st which is they just miss finals (no given) would be a pick 10-12 range. It would mean that we could seriously go after a Cam Taheny as well as getting one of the top mids in the comp. It might also allow the club to try and prise a lukosius or rankine from GC with the carlton pick knowing we would then still have a possible top 10 pick to come. Just spitballing but I think that we would have to try for the freo 1st rounder in any trade

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

He's late to the game and there might $200k per year difference in contract offers. He'd be mad not to consider it given he's only going to have a 6-7 year career with only 4 or 5 decent earners. There's no reason why Freo wouldn't be putting offers to his manager, or any other club for that matter. The bit about playing him in the 2s is rubbish though. He had a very limited preseason and he wasn't at full midfielder fitness to start with.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Presumably he's our priority #1 of players coming out of contract this year

And with Jacobs, Douglas finishing to be replaced by draftees money is no object

No possible way we could lose him

Back