Rumour Hugh Greenwood waiting to re-sign!

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ok, but there is still FA compo.

We really need to get our list management right. We have Polholke playing career best football. Also, Jones & McHenry should be making more of an impact next year. The further development of Gooch likely to be pushing for more midfield minutes. Then hopefully the cherry on chop should be a gun midfielder from a top #2 pick.

We need to make room to start bringing through our last few years early draft picks, which means we may need to move on a couple of players with less upside.
Couldn’t agree more on the turnover point.

I’d be surprised if CEY is on the list to push out though, but yes, he might get us a 3rd in compo.

Douglas has to go.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
He was dropped just last week and also had to gain fitness in the 2s before playing 1s in the first place. I’m not sure he really qualifies except for carrying him injured into the 2017 finals series.
I didn't think he did enough to hold his spot this week. He played more of the season than he should've last year too.

Gold pass is probably a bit much, but it's very clear they want him in the 22 as much as possible.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I didn't think he did enough to hold his spot this week. He played more of the season than he should've last year too.

Gold pass is probably a bit much, but it's very clear they want him in the 22 as much as possible.
Coaches go all weak at the knees for an I50 contested mark.

Makes them do all manner of crazy stuff

I’d be surprised if CEY is on the list to push out though, but yes, he might get us a 3rd in compo.

Douglas has to go.
Douglas I have on the retire list.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

We really need to get our list management right. We have Polholke playing career best football. Also, Jones & McHenry should be making more of an impact next year. The further development of Gooch likely to be pushing for more midfield minutes. Then hopefully the cherry on chop should be a gun midfielder from a top #2 pick.

We need to make room to start bringing through our last few years early draft picks, which means we may need to move on a couple of players with less upside.

If we’re serious we’re already delisting Dougie, Sauce, Mackay and Otto. Knight might as well be traded to upgrade a pick. Reckon Jones and Ned have near enough made him redundant already. That’s 5 spots for draft picks. CEY might end up as depth, but that’ll be up to him, I doubt we’d get much FA compo, if any. Greenwood’s struggles with injury and greater value due to tradeability might see him being the one they’re looking at. Ready to sign, but not any contact whatsoever from the club.

If we’re serious we’re already delisting Dougie, Sauce, Mackay and Otto. Knight might as well be traded to upgrade a pick. Reckon Jones and Ned have near enough made him redundant already. That’s 5 spots for draft picks. CEY might end up as depth, but that’ll be up to him, I doubt we’d get much FA compo, if any. Greenwood’s struggles with injury and greater value due to tradeability might see him being the one they’re looking at. Ready to sign, but not any contact whatsoever from the club.
It's interesting if we decide we can only keep 1 of CEY & Greenwood to bring though younger talent, which way would we go.

I would consider keeping Sauce as depth, but agree on the rest.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

I know you think we’ve done a complete 180 on selection philosophy but the way I see it is that the only replacements for that role are completely untried or the kid Jones. Mackay god awful ahead of the ball and Gibbs on the outer, but probably capable. Given how important these 2 games are/were, I really don’t think that any of the kids had a hope and it’s why Dougie was never a chance to miss this week. Pressure is on, we’re unlikely to continue on the path of incremental selection improvement, where possible we’ll be going with experience.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I know you think we’ve done a complete 180 on selection philosophy but the way I see it is that the only replacements for that role are completely untried or the kid Jones. Mackay god awful ahead of the ball and Gibbs on the outer, but probably capable. Given how important these 2 games are/were, I really don’t think that any of the kids had a hope and it’s why Dougie was never a chance to miss this week. Pressure is on, we’re unlikely to continue on the path of incremental selection improvement, where possible we’ll be going with experience.
I wouldn't say a complete 180, but it's abundantly clear we've made significant changes.

I mean Gooch is a kid and has made his spot despite relatively ordinary SANFL form, Murphy too has held his spot.

Douglas isn't best 22 anymore, he knows it too. Again, if he performs to the level he did last weekend he will be done.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wouldn't say a complete 180, but it's abundantly clear we've made significant changes.

I mean Gooch is a kid and has made his spot despite relatively ordinary SANFL form, Murphy too has held his spot.

Douglas isn't best 22 anymore, he knows it too. Again, if he performs to the level he did last weekend he will be done.

Gooch proved he was up to it last year and thankfully they stuck with him despite him having to work into form. Same is happening with Seed right now but he has more runs on the board. I liked Murphy last year, thought he was unlucky, but they’ve definitely backed him in as they did through CC’s lean patches. They definitely value a nippy forward that can at least provide perceived pressure. CC didn’t always get to opponents but they knew they couldn’t dilly dally with ball in hand in our forward 50 when he was around.

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if we drop Dougie quickly after another 1 or 2 shockers, but I don’t expect it if we’re in the hunt as the smell of September begins wafting through the West Lakes selection room. I think the 22 we see today plus the emergencies, less Davis plus Poholke, Fog (Tex), EH (JJ) and Otto (KPD) are the only options the selectors will consider going forward. Thrilled to be wrong, thrilled, but I doubt I will be.

Dec 14, 2002
who cares
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings

Isn’t FA compo determined by a number of factors including the contract terms, age etc... Like was the case with Chris Knights, we might not get any compo.

Personally, I think CEY is not going anywhere. Club has invested 8 years into him and now that he has come good, they are not going to a walk away from that.

Isn’t FA compo determined by a number of factors including the contract terms, age etc... Like was the case with Chris Knights, we might not get any compo.

Personally, I think CEY is not going anywhere. Club has invested 8 years into him and now that he has come good, they are not going to a walk away from that.
His contract would be the main factor. I wouldn't expect we would get heaps for him. But it may be both in his & AFC's best interests that he has opportunity elsewhere.

Who would you keep/lose next year to bring in younger players?

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Otten definitely isn't in the frame and Lynch still has to come back into it.

Forgot Lynch, add him in. Losing 1 KPD won’t be enough, but if we lose 2, it’ll be Otto into the side. Hopefully we won’t see it, but there’s no way that we play a rookie in a KPD role once we hit August. It just will not happen. If it happens a couple of weeks after the bye, Fog might get a crack, but not if we’re on the eve of September.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
His contract would be the main factor. I wouldn't expect we would get heaps for him. But it may be both in his & AFC's best interests that he has opportunity elsewhere.

We’ve got 4 retirements coming up and adding FA CEY takes us to our 5th pick in the draft. We’d have to be in full rebuild mode to prefer a 5th rounder ahead of rolling into 2020 with CEY as depth. Even if a bit overpriced as depth.

Dec 14, 2002
who cares
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings

I think Sauce and Douglas will be done and Dmac will likely see a pretty reduced role. Otten likely to be done too. We have always liked big body midfielders and we have a couple now in CEY and Greenwood who are both in our best 22 at the moment when in form. I think Kelly might also be out. Was close to being traded last year.

Young players will get introduced into the team in peripheral roles rather than key roles. The club LOVES Jones and they will look to bring him in and get more games into him. Not necessarily as an inside mid but more as a HFF/wingman with occasional run on the ball. We have a tendency of developing players in SANFL and bringing the, into the team when they are cherry ripe to perform. Doedee, Keath, Greenwood, ROB etc being prime examples.

I am not so much worried about midfield minutes and those will work themselves our (larger rotations through there etc). One thing I would to see us do either this year or next is to get a Lynch replacement. We don’t have anyone at the moment that we can bring in for Lynch and get them to play the role in a very similar manner as Lynch. I think Davis has been penciled in for that role long term. We need to see if the kid will be able to do it. Has the attributes and a bit of X factor.

Next year you are more likely to see more rest games for Eddie and a few other senior players and youngsters getting brought in.

Poholke is probably at a level where he is a pretty good if not dominant player at SANFL but not quite up to AFL standard yet. Might be a year or possibly two away from performing at a level similar to CEY or Greenwood at the moment. BTW, I see Greenwood as a more talented, more damaging player than CEY when both are at their best. Hugh’s problem is that he has never had a full preseason yet. That is not ideal, especially considering he is not the fittest bloke around. Fitness wise, he is probably at a level that Matt Crouch was on before he built his engine that allowed him to become a key midfielder.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

Douglas has to go.
I actually could see a reality where we trade out JJ, Kelly, and Atkins, and retire Sauce, Otten, Douglas and DMAC. (Then there's the topic of Keath, but thats another story).

And to be honest, even with all those changes, I don't see us weakening dramatically. On the contrary in fact!

Next Gen Rookie

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2017
Hiding in Bacon8's roofspace
AFL Club
Adelaide
We’ve got 4 retirements coming up and adding FA CEY takes us to our 5th pick in the draft. We’d have to be in full rebuild mode to prefer a 5th rounder ahead of rolling into 2020 with CEY as depth. Even if a bit overpriced as depth.

Promoting Murphy &/or Butts would negate the need for a 5th round pick. (And CEY too, but this proposed him leaving)

Also, we only have 3 picks before the 5th round already.
Carlton R1
Carlton R2
Adelaide R2

Adelaide R3 & R5 are Carlton's, Adelaide R4 belongs to Port

I can't see CEY being anywhere but our list in 2020 anyway.

Maggsy

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Love this guy, his 10 touches are worth 45 by Atkins. Always impacts the game and his tackling is top 5 in the league if you ask me.

Absolutely hope he stays, BUT one saving grace is if we DO lose him, I have a feeling someone will pay over his market value for him. Bit like happened with Charlie Cameron.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Sauce and Douglas will be done and Dmac will likely see a pretty reduced role. Otten likely to be done too. We have always liked big body midfielders and we have a couple now in CEY and Greenwood who are both in our best 22 at the moment when in form. I think Kelly might also be out. Was close to being traded last year.

Young players will get introduced into the team in peripheral roles rather than key roles. The club LOVES Jones and they will look to bring him in and get more games into him. Not necessarily as an inside mid but more as a HFF/wingman with occasional run on the ball. We have a tendency of developing players in SANFL and bringing the, into the team when they are cherry ripe to perform. Doedee, Keath, Greenwood, ROB etc being prime examples.

I am not so much worried about midfield minutes and those will work themselves our (larger rotations through there etc). One thing I would to see us do either this year or next is to get a Lynch replacement. We don’t have anyone at the moment that we can bring in for Lynch and get them to play the role in a very similar manner as Lynch. I think Davis has been penciled in for that role long term. We need to see if the kid will be able to do it. Has the attributes and a bit of X factor.

Next year you are more likely to see more rest games for Eddie and a few other senior players and youngsters getting brought in.

Poholke is probably at a level where he is a pretty good if not dominant player at SANFL but not quite up to AFL standard yet. Might be a year or possibly two away from performing at a level similar to CEY or Greenwood at the moment. BTW, I see Greenwood as a more talented, more damaging player than CEY when both are at their best. Hugh’s problem is that he has never had a full preseason yet. That is not ideal, especially considering he is not the fittest bloke around. Fitness wise, he is probably at a level that Matt Crouch was on before he built his engine that allowed him to become a key midfielder.

What might save Dmac is that he has been decidedly average for about 7 years, so there’s no obvious drop off that makes it obvious to the coaches that his body isn’t up to it. He’ll still be able to run the lines and collect 15 meaningless disposals well into his 30’s.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

Do you think the clubs mindset is trending towards a mini rebuild next year?

mick500

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
So on the pre radio broadcast over here in sunny old perth there was a discussion by the three match callers about Thor heading to Freo at the end of this season. Apparently he had tried to get there last year in the trade period and the AFC didnt want a bar of it. He still wants to get there in this years trade period... APPARENTLY. They also said this was the reason as to why he was left in the SANFL for the start of the year as he and the coaching staff were at a head because of said trade demands.

Now this makes no sense to me, he has no ties to perth, is loved by the crows, the fans, and playing group. Has anyone in the know also heard talk of this or is it Karl Langdon, Pavlich and co talking junk and filling in gaps. Jeez i hope so.

If the worst is true, where do we go with Hugh?. Whats he worth and whats a fair trade?

Scary if true. As everyone knows I think the turning point in our season was getting back to playing tough contested footy against Freo and eeeking out a win against a side equally determined, but our skills got us over the line. That's how premierships are won. Go harder for longer and then let your skills do the work. Don't just expect to go out and play champagne footy. It won't work. It certainly wont win you a premiership.

Hugh greenwood was a huge part of that, contested footy beast that he is, and he goes forward for throw ins or ball ups and does the same thing and snags a goal or 2. Would be a huge loss for the club. Really really hope this one isn't true. He's in my top 5 at the club all day every day. Exactly what we need and suits our team perfectly , hope he realises that as well. Don pyke needs to not mess around with him now and just play him unless injured. He's proven he's ready. If he gets dropped I will just see that as a sign he's going.

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Still think we have only seen the top of the iceberg when it comes to Greenwood's potential. I don't have him going anywhere!
Why do you think this? I love what he can do, but given his age I just don't see much more improvement. I don't want him to go - he definitely adds something different to our midfield, but even with a decent pre-season is he going to get that much better now?

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Scary if true. As everyone knows I think the turning point in our season was getting back to playing tough contested footy against Freo and eeeking out a win against a side equally determined, but our skills got us over the line. That's how premierships are won. Go harder for longer and then let your skills do the work. Don't just expect to go out and play champagne footy. It won't work. It certainly wont win you a premiership.

Hugh greenwood was a huge part of that, contested footy beast that he is, and he goes forward for throw ins or ball ups and does the same thing and snags a goal or 2. Would be a huge loss for the club. Really really hope this one isn't true. He's in my top 5 at the club all day every day. Exactly what we need and suits our team perfectly , hope he realises that as well. Don pyke needs to not mess around with him now and just play him unless injured. He's proven he's ready. If he gets dropped I will just see that as a sign he's going.

There's that mouse again! :)

Back