Traded Hugh Greenwood [traded to Gold Coast for 2020 3rd, 2020 4th]

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Ok, let's look at a "similar" trade.

Lyons to Suns (age 24) and pick 71 for Suns picks 43 and 67.

Greenwood is much older and uncontracted. How much a better player than Lyons is he? Not heaps if at all imo, although he is more versatile.

As i said, pick 49 didn't seem outrageous or laughable to me.

As for Fanta, he likes it where he is thanks.

"similar trade"
A limited talent player that wasn't wanted and was playing 2nds and attracted minimal interest elsewhere.
Vs a unique player that is wanted and is attracting interest from clubs Australia wide.

Not sure they are similar at all, mate.

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
It does. But most players that fall off a cliff are doing so because their body has withstood 10+ years at elite level.

What through the PSD?

He is out of contract, not a FA.

Theres no way he's being traded for a 3rd round pick. Full stop, end of story.

Yes but you didn't say that.

You realise he was a late starter, not a late bloomer. His age is not actually a negative, because he hasnt played 10 years of AFL.

So saying that his age isn't a negative isn't true. I agree that he may not fall off a cliff etc but age is a factor.

PSD is also a factor in negotiations, prolly not a big one but it's always there.

As i said earlier you laughed off his suggestion as ridiculous and my reply was i don't believe it is. You are of course invested in the decision, i'm not.

Like with all these things, time will tell.

Is it even a given he leaves or could he get another contract?

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Him going to hawthorn is the right move as they need some solid body in the middle in order to free up Mitchell jaeger to do the super stuff. Scully’s day as a superstar mid is over. He will play out his career on the wing Andy being a very good accumulator to support the other players. Greenwood is very much a hWthorn get as he will thrive at a club due to newer environment, best practice, security.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
They have to pay the players a premium to get them too come, they don’t owe other clubs anything.

28 by round 1 2020, uncontracted and is in all honestly a C grader who has played some B grade games of footy. Pick 49 seems closer than a decent second rounder.

Greenwood would be your 2nd best midfielder right now.
What does that say about the state of Carlton's list?

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
"similar trade"
A limited talent player that wasn't wanted and was playing 2nds and attracted minimal interest elsewhere.
Vs a unique player that is wanted and is attracting interest from clubs Australia wide.

Not sure they are similar at all, mate.

Playing 2nds?

The year he was traded he missed 5 games only (I don't know why) and played in both your finals.

Greenwood has played how many reserves games this year?...

Answer is 5...

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Yes but you didn't say that.

So saying that his age isn't a negative isn't true. I agree that he may not fall off a cliff etc but age is a factor.

PSD is also a factor in negotiations, prolly not a big one but it's always there.

As i said earlier you laughed off his suggestion as ridiculous and my reply was i don't believe it is. You are of course invested in the decision, i'm not.

Like with all these things, time will tell.

Is it even a given he leaves or could he get another contract?

It was implied.
Its actually something that has been looked at many times. Late starters can often go longer.

It is ridiculous. Wont get it done with that pick at all. Gold Coast wouldnt even make a trade that bad.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Playing 2nds?

The year he was traded he missed 5 games only (I don't know why) and played in both your finals.

Greenwood has played how many reserves games this year?...

Injury is why he played that much.
CEY, Brad Crouch etc.
He was always behind both of those guys.

Greenwood once fit has played every game
Played 11 of a possible 15 games and didnt play til round 5. Since then hasnt missed.
Importantly in a team with minimal injuries.

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Injury is why he played that much.
CEY, Brad Crouch etc.
He was always behind both of those guys.

Greenwood once fit has played every game
Played 11 of a possible 15 games and didnt play til round 5. Since then hasnt missed.
Importantly in a team with minimal injuries.

Seems i know your player better than you do.

He was dropped in round 14...

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
You couldnt write this stuff.

We had this thing in round 14.... I cant remember what its called. Its where your whole team doesnt play a game...

Maybe you can help me?

Apologies you are correct.

He was dropped for a game though and must have ended up being a late in, i assumed it was round 14.

ADELAIDE V GWS

Saturday June 8, Adelaide Oval, 7:10pm ACST

CROWS

IN: Kyle Hartigan, Richard Douglas, Matt Crouch

OUT: Hugh Greenwood (Omitted), Bryce Gibbs (Omitted), David Mackay (Omitted)

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would the Crows be in line for Compensation if we let him walk to another club? Not sure how Cat B rookies work in FA.

Everyone in here are going back and forth about a trade return, but depending on what he's offered he might end up an end of 1st round compo similar to Geelong with Stevie Motlop (who is actually not a bad comparison for Hugh in term of how he's perceived by other clubs)

And considering their are fans of Carlton, North, Essendon, St Kilda, Collingwood, Hawthorn, GCS, and Freo in here all claiming he would be a perfect fit for their team, and the fact that Hugh only really has this contract negotiation, that bidding war might end up being the key point to signing him, and end up quite fierce!

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Him going to hawthorn is the right move as they need some solid body in the middle in order to free up Mitchell jaeger to do the super stuff. Scully’s day as a superstar mid is over. He will play out his career on the wing Andy being a very good accumulator to support the other players. Greenwood is very much a hWthorn get as he will thrive at a club due to newer environment, best practice, security.
Yep..and i think he would do really well for them..unfortunately:rolleyes:

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Apologies you are correct.

He was dropped for a game though and must have ended up being a late in, i assumed it was round 14.

ADELAIDE V GWS

Saturday June 8, Adelaide Oval, 7:10pm ACST

CROWS

IN: Kyle Hartigan, Richard Douglas, Matt Crouch

OUT: Hugh Greenwood (Omitted), Bryce Gibbs (Omitted), David Mackay (Omitted)

He was sore, and ended up still playing against GWS
So either way you're wrong.

Would the Crows be in line for Compensation if we let him walk to another club? Not sure how Cat B rookies work in FA.

Everyone in here are going back and forth about a trade return, but depending on what he's offered he might end up an end of 1st round compo similar to Geelong with Stevie Motlop (who is actually not a bad comparison for Hugh in term of how he's perceived by other clubs)

And considering their are fans of Carlton, North, Essendon, St Kilda, Collingwood, Hawthorn, GCS, and Freo in here all claiming he would be a perfect fit for their team, and the fact that Hugh only really has this contract negotiation, that bidding war might end up being the key point to signing him, and end up quite fierce!
I don't believe there is a free agency factor here unless he is delisted, or has been delisted previously.

Rookies are only allowed on the rookie list for three seasons before they have to be delisted where they can be re-listed again.

Hugh signed a two year Cat-B contract on at the end of 2015. So 2016, 2017 and 2018 were his three rookie years if that was going to be the case. He signed a two year deal in 2017 which would elevate him to the senior list.

So I don't expect any free agency calculations.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Thats teh part I find most funny.
Everyone rates him, everyone wants them at their team

Then some of the same people come out and say oh yeh 3rd round pick will get it done.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Keep in mind this is the same champion data that rated Melbourne as the best list for 2019.

Their list is fantastic.
Their performances and coaching is disastrous.

They also had a ton of injuries this year.

CD is certainly not the be-all and end-all, but its one factor to consider that takes into account a lot of other things.

Back