Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Mitch Robinson:

Hugh McCluggage: A genuine lock for All-Australian this year, he was the No. 1 wingman in 2019. I might be a little bias, but I’ve seen his work up close. He is clean with the football and always tops charts for high speed meters. He’s a genuine talent and, to top things off, he kicked 22 goals this year.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Lions' recruits key to 2019 AFL surge
Brisbane midfielder Hugh McCluggage says the Lions' rise from outside finals bet to AFL premiership threat is down largely to smart recruiting.

While Lachie Neale's arrival from Fremantle late last year was always viewed as a huge pick-up for the Lions, McCluggage said the impact of fellow new faces Marcus Adams and Lachlan McCarthy couldn't be overlooked. McCarthy has gone from a player who could barely get off the treatment table at Geelong to an ever-present member of Brisbane's forward line - easing the burden on Eric Hipwood, Daniel McStay and Charlie Cameron.

At the back, former Western Bulldog Adams is often taking on the opposition's key forward, allowing vice-captain Harris Andrews to drift across the backline and increase his influence.

Additionally, McCluggage says with Neale's impact in midfield freeing up captain Dayne Zorko, it's no wonder the Lions have enjoyed their best season in a decade.

"Every one of those boys that we've brought in from other clubs has been huge, on field with their playing and their skills, and also their leadership - Hodgey (Luke Hodge), he's brought a heap," McCluggage told AAP. "It's been great recruiting and great to play with those guys. "Zorks and Harris and those guys that have been shouldering the load for quite a while are quite happy now to share it around a little bit. "They're reaping the rewards and playing great footy as well."

do we think he will become a midfielder this year or still a winger?

Will spend most of his time on the wing but will certainly rotate on the ball more.

I think we'll look at rotating Clugg, Robinson, Berry, Bailey, Zorko, Ah Chee & Rich on the wings. We have heaps of options now, and they're all weapons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Maybe the best ever trading/recruiting move by the club. IIRC recruiters worked out we could get McCluggage and very handy best mate Berry by trading 2 for 3 and a later pick. Is my memory right?
Berry was more luck than genuine planning when the trade was made.

Trading back from 2 to 3 certainly was a move made from intel on who Essendon and GWS liked.

If GWS wanted Hugh I'm assuming no trade is done?

From memory, Essendon liked McGrath or McCluggage.

GWS wanted McGrath if Essendon passed on him, but had Taranto as their second option. They also needed draft points, which we provided by more than matching the points value of 16.

We wanted McCluggage with Ainsworth as our backup plan, IIRC, though we might have had some interest in Taranto.

GWS wanted McGrath if Essendon passed on him, but had Taranto as their second option. They also needed draft points, which we provided by more than matching the points value of 16.

We wanted McCluggage with Ainsworth as our backup plan, IIRC, though we might have had some interest in Taranto.
Speaking of Ainsworth.
He is primed for a good year this year. Could be his break out if he can keep fit?
Wouldn’t have it any other way, because Clugga is awesome, but Ainsworth wouldn’t have been a bad fall back option.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I went back and checked.selection 2 for selection 3 and selection 16 (which became 17 after a matching bid by the swans on an academy player). Turned selection 2 into McCluggage and Berry. Still hard to believe. Having said I think GWS would be reasonable happy with Taranto.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

So Bombers the only possibility of taking Hugh, so two or three makes no difference. Thankfully they took McGrath

I went back and checked.selection 2 for selection 3 and selection 16 (which became 17 after a matching bid by the swans on an academy player). Turned selection 2 into McCluggage and Berry. Still hard to believe. Having said I think GWS would be reasonable happy with Taranto.
We also gave up 31, 51 and 60 which ended up being part of what GWS used to match bids on Setterfield, Perryman and Cumming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back