Hughes and Banfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

So Banfield plays this weekend and both Erasmus and Johnson miss out.

These two guys could be getting much needed afl experience but can't fit in when Banfield is gifted games. His field kicking is deplorable at best. Why miss opportunities to play in form young guns who are superior players?
Nah Banfield has earnt his spot for this weekend.

How so? His field kicking is shocking
Haha you really clutching at straws to try fit your narrative.

He is no David Mundy but it's far from shocking. Pretty sure if you take off your hater glasses off, you'd see some of his kicks have found their targets 😎😉

Haha you really clutching at straws to try fit your narrative.

He is no David Mundy but it's far from shocking. Pretty sure if you take off your hater glasses off, you'd see some of his kicks have found their targets 😎😉

Nah his kicking sux

He plays ok against bottom sides and goes missing when we play strong opponents

His kicking is terrible. Go watch closely

I'm gunna try to be pragmatic here because these 2 have played pretty well this last couple of weeks and I have been one of their biggest critics over the last couple of months.

I want to ask the Hughes and Banfield supporters, what would be reasonable grounds for either of them to be dropped? How many average to poor games would they have to play before they're out of the squad? And at what measurement would it seem reasonable to pick a couple of the younger guys to replace them in their positions?

I'm gunna try to be pragmatic here because these 2 have played pretty well this last couple of weeks and I have been one of their biggest critics over the last couple of months.

I want to ask the Hughes and Banfield supporters, what would be reasonable grounds for either of them to be dropped? How many average to poor games would they have to play before they're out of the squad? And at what measurement would it seem reasonable to pick a couple of the younger guys to replace them in their positions?

Hard to say, as according to most here they don't know what Banners role was 😉 However, I'm sure JL and MC do, so even if the 'stats' reflecting he wasn't performing to us, he may have been fulfilling his role. Doesn't help that for the first few games the whole team was dysfunctional and playing s**t

I have no qualms if the MC thought he was underperforming or they felt there was someone better to play his role, and as a result he was dropped. I sure wouldn't be carrying on and crying like others on here when he isn't 😉

Also, outside of the Bulldogs game he has been ok, but last two games he has proving his worth, so no way he should be dropped

the Hughes and Banfield supporters
I think you and others massively overestimate the amount of support people are giving to these two players. All I see are people saying, "mate, you're going a bit overboard with the hating on Banfield and Hughes".

Broadly, there seem to be two arguments being presented, eg., for Sturt over Banfield. One is that Sturt puts in better performances than Banfield, as measured against certain criteria. Those who disagree counter with stats/arguments based on different criteria. This debate leads down the path of discussing the "role" and who is performing best in that role, as distinct from who is the better footballer as such. Because we don't have any idea what the club sees as that role, the debate just keeps going.

The other argument is that Sturt has a higher ceiling than Banfield, or unmeasured/untapped potential. To the extent that few people seem to be arguing that Banfield has a huge amount of growth in him, the argument ultimately hinges on whether or not current performance should be sacrificed for the sake of developing "talent". This is often or largely tied to whether you see this season as a write off, or whether you think the club should accept that the "window" doesn't open for a couple more years and so we should still be in development mode.

If it's Johnson or Erasmus who's being suggested as replacement for Banfield, I think it's pretty much the same arguments that are being made, with a few variations maybe. So, in a certain sense, it's not the player who's being supported/defended; it's an underlying strategy, be it game plan (execution of role v. football talent) or objectives (finals now v. player development).

Hughes does not deserve to be dropped in any way shape shape or form. He is in chapmans spot as a defender and isn’t going anywhere any time soon. If he was still on the wing then you have a case but he’s a pure defender and who from the seconds would you replace him with?

That's a good question, but it's only half the equation. No team has 23 A graders. That's just the reality.

There also needs to be someone better, or at least worth picking that can play their role. Dropping Hughes for, say, Wagner or Banfield for Sturt doesn't actually improve us. So there's a balance there. Obviously, it would also depend on how badly they stunk it up. Neither has so far this season, so it's all hypothetical at this stage.

But, as an example, let's say Hughes plays a few poor games across half-back and on the wing (his current role). Who do they bring in? Henry really struggles at the top level, Worner could be worth a crack, Wagner was terrible. That's really about it. Obviously, Freo would love to have an 18-year-old Stephen Hill sitting on the list, but there really isn't a lot of depth in that area outside of what's already playing, or been tried.

Personally, I'd like to see Worner get a crack, but it seems he's been playing solely as a defender this year, and we're pretty full in that area of the ground. I would still prefer we develop as a wing.

Banfield averages 1 tackle per game

He's a forward who needs to provide defensive pressure to hold the ball in

He averages just under a goal a game

So whats he doing if he isn't contributing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Banfield averages 1 tackle per game

He's a forward who needs to provide defensive pressure to hold the ball in

He averages just under a goal a game

So whats he doing if he isn't contributing?
If he isn’t contributing he’s getting dropped for someone who will contribute more.

It’s really not. There’s been a lot of things banners does this season that piss me off but never once has it been his field kicking.

Hopefully someone can remind me of the specifics, but that kick he did a couple of weeks ago from half back where he hit our player on the chest running forward over the top was one of the best kicks from a Freo player all season.

Hopefully someone can remind me of the specifics, but that kick he did a couple of weeks ago from half back where he hit our player on the chest running forward over the top was one of the best kicks from a Freo player all season.
In the first quarter of the Hawks game when he was a gun for a quarter.

Banners has under rated handballs. Usually can hit the target through traffic and well weighted. That quick handball to Amiss last week that ended in goal, but also the quick give in the GC game to Brayshaw that ended in goal

It's quite simple. If there are better options to perform their role, they'll be dropped. I mean that's how selection works, you pick the best players for each position/role. That's why it's always referred to as the best 22.

There was both a kick and a handball in the Hawks game where I seriously thought I was seeing things and had to check it was actually Banfield because they were not only very good but they were elite, something you'd expect from Pendlebury.

Banners has under rated handballs. Usually can hit the target through traffic and well weighted. That quick handball to Amiss last week that ended in goal, but also the quick give in the GC game to Brayshaw that ended in goal
Yeah we’ve seen it several times this year. Did not know he had it in him

If he isn’t contributing he’s getting dropped for someone who will contribute more.

Exactly. It’s pretty simple really - Sturt has to contribute more than he does to offer more than Banfield.

Sturt does things that show just how much talent he has but I’m not sure he’s ever played a good four quarters of footy at AFL level. Even on debut when he kicked three he was invisible for a lot of that game. Going by averages this season, especially if you take out the game Banfield was sub, I’m pretty sure he’d have Sturt covered in most stats maybe even all. The question of who offers more isn’t even close.

For Hughes, now he’s back in defence, the eventual replacement is pretty damn obvious. Chapman is still a fair way off though.

Banfields had a pretty good year in his role. A couple of poor games, as has all the forwards even Schultz, but he is definitely playing with more composure & looking the part. When he started in this role, I don’t think it was natural for him but he can kick a goal at important times & is getting better which has to be acknowledged by even his worst of critics.

Hughes is back playing where he should be, I think they value his hardness & his willingness to compete & played him on a wing when all backs were available, but that has to be shelved. He’s a very good defender & can take Chapman or Young’s role full time when one of them move to the midfield. If they're all available he plays at Peel until that time comes.

Banfields had a pretty good year in his role. A couple of poor games, as has all the forwards even Schultz, but he is definitely playing with more composure & looking the part. When he started in this role, I don’t think it was natural for him but he can kick a goal at important times & is getting better which has to be acknowledged by even his worst of critics.

Hughes is back playing where he should be, I think they value his hardness & his willingness to compete & played him on a wing when all backs were available, but that has to be shelved. He’s a very good defender & can take Chapman or Young’s role full time when one of them move to the midfield. If they're all available he plays at Peel until that time comes.
Both were not in the picture to be picked in finals.
Both serviceable, and I feel they play their best when they have to perform to
keep a spot.
Long term though we have better skilled kids who will need game time.
It’s a juggling act, but the use of the sub role may help.
You can make a comparison to the Tabs situation, and eventually Fyfe and Walters.
Doesn’t help that we have limited players in the 25-28 year bracket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back