Hughes and Banfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta give it to Banfield, he pulls out enough cards each week to stay. Hughes will eventually make way for a far more gifted player..actually we have Chap to come back in..he’s part of the machine though.

If he kicks straighter…had some really good plays to set up goals. That punch over the top when he was kinda 3 on 1 on the wing to eventually set up Sonny’s goal was elite.
You think Erasmus doesn’t pull that off he was played as a half forward? It was good but didn’t require anything special in terms of skill execution.

Still a few haters out there.
Both were very good last night.
I am sure the haters just sit to watch anything that lokos like a mistake coming from either of these players.
Maybe time better spent just watching and seeing the good.
Banfields kick to Walters for his first goal was superb. Banfields knock on that led to Walter second? goal was very good football.
But.. the haters will hate.

Still a few haters out there.
Both were very good last night.
I am sure the haters just sit to watch anything that lokos like a mistake coming from either of these players.
Maybe time better spent just watching and seeing the good.
Banfields kick to Walters for his first goal was superb. Banfields knock on that led to Walter second? goal was very good football.
But.. the haters will hate.
Banfield should be involved with the sub decision in the future.
Doesn’t mean he should be dropped rather that he is in the 19-22 bracket of players.
Hughes looks much better in defence, I like them both and have defended them in
the past.
As long as Erasmus and Johnson are getting games I don’t really care.
Sturt will just have to bide his time and dominate for Peel.
Brodie is in the same boat, it’s a long season so they will get a chance to shine
if good enough.
Chapman is another who will need to push someone else out.
Competition for spots is a good position to be in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Banfield is building.
He had always worked hard for his spot.
I never thought he would be part of the cogs that drive the team..but what would I know.
😊

I think people forget that Banfield is only 25, he's still incredibly young and can continue to build throughout his career, he has plenty of time left, some players don't come on until later in their careers.

You think Erasmus doesn’t pull that off he was played as a half forward? It was good but didn’t require anything special in terms of skill execution.
Actually, a couple of weeks ago Erasmus was in a very similar position and instead of letting it go out of bounds, tried a little soccer trick to flick the ball up but resulted in over running the ball and a turnover, which they scored from. Banfield deserves some credit for that punch to Amiss

I think people forget that Banfield is only 25, he's still incredibly young and can continue to build throughout his career, he has plenty of time left, some players don't come on until later in their careers.
I'd like to see his averages the last twelve months adjusted to his average game time when he's in the 22.

I'd be shocked if it's less than a goal a game and it's probably around 14-16 disposals as well. He isn't the cleanest or best player in the competition but they'd be solid numbers.

Absolutely incredible, when you think about it, that both these guys will probably play over 100 games of AFL football.
Hughes was picked up on the rookie list from Harvey Brunswick???
Both always on 1 year contracts. Both on and off rookie lists. Both subs regularly. Both needing to reinvent themselves- remember Banners as a tagger?
If freo lift the cup in the next 5 years, these boys absolutely deserve to be there.
An unbelievable amount of sheer will and determination from both and they should be very proud.

Rewatching the game…

Banners has been very good
He was and it also helped that Stewart is an arrogant fck and paid him no attention. He (Stewart) got what he deserved and Banfield got some reward for effort.
Banfield needs to do it consistently though, that's the challenge.

you guys are gonna love this

View attachment 1693893
Hahaha. You just know this has come from Longmuir and not Chris Scott. He ain't getting dropped that's for sure....
Also, with all due respect - how did Ethan Hughes get 3 votes? He was solid, but there is no planet where he was better than Young, or even Walters or Amiss for that matter. Chris Scott is phoning these in.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back