Hughes vs. GSP!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh Furious One

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2002
Altona South
Finally, the rematch is coming. What are your predictions for this fight?

I’m going with GSP this time. I thought he was very unlucky in the first fight, I thought he dominated Hughes until he locked in that arm bar with literally seconds to go. Who knows how the fight would have went if he held on for those extra seconds..

I’m admittedly not a Hughes fan. I dislike his arrogance, but I respect his fighting ability as that is unquestionable. I really hope GSP brings it home this time, hopefully by a third round submission so we get a quality fight.

There was talk about Hughes retiring after two more fights, but that turned out to be BS thankfully. I really want to see a Hughes/Penn trilogy. I was disappointed to learn that Penn is dropping down a division. Oh and either way, Serra is going to die against either of these guys in the TUF title fight.

I concur. Cannot wait for the fight. This weekend!

My tip is Matt Hughes (unfortunately!) I respect his ability as a fighter but really dislike his arrogance and 'jock' attitude.

I think it will be close though, but I put hughes as a slight favourite.

Tip: Hughes by GNP ref stoppage in the 3rd
Hope: St Pierre by brutal KO late in the 5th!

Matt Hughes is a unit what's his record 40-4 (thanks sherdog)? That's unheard of. The bloke's neck is thicker than one of my legs. This is the deepest division in the UFC and Hughes has dominated it, newton sherk penn gsp riggs trigg how would you like those names on your resume? Cant see him losing, his subs are world class, strikes world class, been beat once in 6yrs by penn rear naked choke, how could you tip against this guy? Unbelievable that the choice could be so clear considering how good gsp is. catlike.
hughes by decision or sub.

GSP won, I'm so bloody happy. It was stopped in the second round after a brutal head kick and multiple elbows.

GSP – New UFC World Welterweight Champion! YES!

Highlight above to see result.

Hughes' striking world class? :D
I take it you didn't see Hughes' striking clinic against Renzo? He looked like a cross between Barboza and Aldo that night with those vicious leg kicks. :D

But in all seriousness, back then Hughes was coming off a win over Penn. He outlanded Penn 20-8 in distance strikes lol. Then you take a closer look at the stats and realise that almost all of his distance strikes were landed in the 3rd round as Penn was fading badly. I wasn't watching back then, but I can understand someone thinking Hughes' striking was better than it actually was because he'd just outstruck Penn late in the fight.

I take it you didn't see Hughes' striking clinic against Renzo? He looked like a cross between Barboza and Aldo that night with those vicious leg kicks. :D

But in all seriousness, back then Hughes was coming off a win over Penn. He outlanded Penn 20-8 in distance strikes lol. Then you take a closer look at the stats and realise that almost all of his distance strikes were landed in the 3rd round as Penn was fading badly. I wasn't watching back then, but I can understand someone thinking Hughes' striking was better than it actually was because he'd just outstruck Penn late in the fight.

Don't forget the clinic he ran on Almeida before choking him out. I remember the birth of K1 Hughes well! :D

You make a fair point about it being easy to overrate someone based off one performance.... hell, I do it all the time! Can't see how anyone had Hughes' striking as world class though. I always remember Matt Serra mocking him on TUF about crossing his hands over constantly. I hadn't noticed it prior, but since he pointed it out it's pretty much all I see when Hughes is striking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back