Hughes

Remove this Banner Ad

ROGS

Team Captain
Jun 4, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Has anyone else noted how slow he is (look at replay when he is trying to chase some magpies on a fast break) On top of that his spoiling in marking contest is second rate as is his kicking
Surely the coaching panel can see it, how does it get picked every week ?

He's quite tough, but limited.
He's not the worst, but is a role player.
Today, not so good. Thought Wagner was good today, maybe Wagner takes Hughes possie

Hes the last remnant of Rolyball. Stalls when taking possession so he can get wrapped up in the tackle for a ball up. If they didnt call deliberate Oob he would carry it over the boundary line too to make doubley sure...

Yeah his lack of pace was never really noticeable to me before today. Just looks to be a very limited player at times.

That being said all of our talls lack pace. I cringe every time Cox or Pearce trying to chase down an opponent.

Thread is bullshit, he was far from the reason we lost. The game was lost in the middle. And most of our defence was average.

Forwards mostly poor too.

Seriously Hughes does not deserve singling out.

Yeah the midfield to a man rolled over for the entire 2nd quarter. Absolute witches hats! And we blame a back flanker for not being fancy enough or creative enough with his ball use. Hughes isn’t the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's like a taller Reece Conca. Always going sideways or backwards and can't kick for s**t.

Since moving back from wing to def he has been decent. Last two games he is reverting back to trying to spin out of tackles or not giving off sooner. Not sure the reason, but I think if he is instructed not to he can tidy this up and still be reasonable cover. He doesn't shirk the contest at least

The backlash he gets is way over the top.

He tries but at the Top level he can found out, Big risk if you take him into a finals pressure game .I think theres Half a dozen in this team the same

Since moving back from wing to def he has been decent. Last two games he is reverting back to trying to spin out of tackles or not giving off sooner. Not sure the reason, but I think if he is instructed not to he can tidy this up and still be reasonable cover. He doesn't shirk the contest at least

The backlash he gets is way over the top.
His form when he went from wing to backline was very good. Last two games and particularly yesterday was woeful. Prob saved by injuries to be honest. Those dinky kicks he does are terrible.

That passage of play yesterday where Treacy froze after the play on Advantage, which then went back to JOM who kicked it to Hughes. Then tried to hit up a short one to o body in particular. We had someone very short and another player slightly longer - kicked it straight to Collingwood that then led to Daicos goal incidentally after Daicos easily brushed off Hughes lame tackle effort.

Last week he was too afraid to go down the line at half back and proceeded to kick 10metres forward to Brayshaw who wasn’t calling for it. It didn’t even hit him up and led to Brayshaw being tackled and Brayshaw working his butt off to force the ball out of bounds.

He is a good one on one defender when is well positioned. When out of position not so good. His decision making under pressure has always been woeful. Makes very slow and bad decisions.

I suspect he has played all gamea due a combination of the following:
  • Acres trade gave him a wing vacancy which he was played in late 2022 WAFL season.
  • continued absence of Heath Chapman
  • yesterday due to absence of Hayden Young and Heath Chapman.

I know Walker is out and I’d like to see Wagner play a few games in a row. Young is back and who knows he might get another reprieve but I’d even play Wilson ahead of him next week. We desperately need a win for morale.

His form when he went from wing to backline was very good. Last two games and particularly yesterday was woeful. Prob saved by injuries to be honest. Those dinky kicks he does are terrible.

That passage of play yesterday where Treacy froze after the play on Advantage, which then went back to JOM who kicked it to Hughes. Then tried to hit up a short one to o body in particular. We had someone very short and another player slightly longer - kicked it straight to Collingwood that then led to Daicos goal incidentally after Daicos easily brushed off Hughes lame tackle effort.

Last week he was too afraid to go down the line at half back and proceeded to kick 10metres forward to Brayshaw who wasn’t calling for it. It didn’t even hit him up and led to Brayshaw being tackled and Brayshaw working his butt off to force the ball out of bounds.

He is a good one on one defender when is well positioned. When out of position not so good. His decision making under pressure has always been woeful. Makes very slow and bad decisions.

I suspect he has played all gamea due a combination of the following:
  • Acres trade gave him a wing vacancy which he was played in late 2022 WAFL season.
  • continued absence of Heath Chapman
  • yesterday due to absence of Hayden Young and Heath Chapman.

I know Walker is out and I’d like to see Wagner play a few games in a row. Young is back and who knows he might get another reprieve but I’d even play Wilson ahead of him next week. We desperately need a win for morale.
Great summation, cant fault his courage but he is C+ grade player at best , time to make a reality check on our list going forward as we need players with pace and a bit of dare

Ryan is literally the same player except one of the best intercept marks in the comp.

All the same weaknesses are there yet one gets called out for it and the other it’s just completely ignored.

Hughes is making the most of his talent tbh. Ryan isn’t and is more pathetic as a footballer for that reason imo.

If anything Hughes has tried to start using the ball a bit quicker. Ryan has not - it’s so bad the more of the ball he gets the more it hurts the side.

Last edited:
Ryan is literally the same player except one of the best intercept marks in the comp.

All the same weaknesses are there yet one gets called out for it and the other it’s just completely ignored.

Hughes is making the most of his talent tbh. Ryan isn’t and is more pathetic as a footballer for that reason imo.

If anything Hughes has tried to start using the ball a bit quicker. Ryan has not - it’s so bad the more of the ball he gets the more it hurts the side.
Ryan has copped plenty on this board this year. And is in a completely different class to Hughes.

If Hughes got cut I don't think he'd end up on another AFL list - if Ryan got cut he'd have his pick of 17 other clubs to play for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back