Unsolved Hunt for Mr Cruel

Remove this Banner Ad

Ron Iddles who worked on the case and is one of Australia’s most decorated cops with a 99% conviction rate, claims to have been told by a crim who was dying around ~2002 who they suspected MrC was - Iddles looked into him, was a successful businessman from Eltham known to police, used to go to the Chan’s restaurant and was known to cross dress and had converted his garage into a space that was said to resemble witness sketches. He had died in 1992.

Another high up cop is quoted as saying he was pretty sure it was Brian Elkner, but I don’t remember who said it.
Interesting Ron is doing a show on channel 7 called Homicide, I wonder if he will talk about his attempts in finding MrC

This is not a forum I venture into much so please forgive if I post something that sounds silly. With this case one thing always nagged at me as a possible theory.

Was Mr C a minor or even major celebrity type who Karmein Chan recognised? He seemed very comfortable with himself in terms of being so unhurried and taking so long about things that a degree of ego is quite likely - along the lines of "they could never catch and pin it on someone like ME". Yet making a mistake with Karmein Chan accidentally seeing him and instantly recognising who he was?

I realise this sounds very far fetched even as I write it but wondered if it was a line of enquiry ever pursued in any way...and no I would not even begin to know who he may be if this was the case. I equally realised that KC may have recognised him as someone very close to the family also which makes my theory rubbish.

This is not a forum I venture into much so please forgive if I post something that sounds silly. With this case one thing always nagged at me as a possible theory.

Was Mr C a minor or even major celebrity type who Karmein Chan recognised? He seemed very comfortable with himself in terms of being so unhurried and taking so long about things that a degree of ego is quite likely - along the lines of "they could never catch and pin it on someone like ME". Yet making a mistake with Karmein Chan accidentally seeing him and instantly recognising who he was?

I realise this sounds very far fetched even as I write it but wondered if it was a line of enquiry ever pursued in any way...and no I would not even begin to know who he may be if this was the case. I equally realised that KC may have recognised him as someone very close to the family also which makes my theory rubbish.

The theory that Chan was killed because she saw him is a very popular one. But not because he was recognisable - more so that he was always extremely diligent in getting rid of evidence.

If she became an eyewitness, well there’s really only one way to get rid of that.

A recent video-

the producers of this video suggest there wasn’t enough evidence that Mr C kidnapped Karmein Chan

top cop Ron suggested he may have been a local realestate idendtity, so you might be on the right track

The web page over at "Melbourne Marvels" was updated again.
It remains the best place to catch up on old news articles and theories on Mr C

www.melbinmarvels.com

The latest entry, details the Sharron Wills abduction . so sit back and read through the various articles. (a long read)
A lot that I haven't seen before, including the channel 10 connection and photos from behind the home.

They continue to explore the Linesman theory and partly suggest MrC may have been from interstate?
I certainly would not limit the suspect pool to Melbourne and surrounds

Its good that someone is still on the case

Its often suggested the first victim in a series of crimes is the most significant.
The offender and family may have crossed paths at some stage. Obviously without the parents thinking he was threat.

Last edited:
Last edited:
When the story was being covered in the late '90's early 2000s, the name Maurice Marion was always being mentioned, but with the seeming resolution of the Prue Bird case, this has fallen away. I was a big fan of Henderson Kids and he had a memorable scene in that show...memorable because his violent history would have been fully known to the show's producers.

With the new work being done on the WT case. and the quick wrap up of the CS case in WA.
I wonder if VicPol feel the pressure to open up the Mr Cruel case again?

I comprehensive Blog on the Nicola Lynas Abduction can be seen in a update

Head over to Melbourne Marvel's Page-

Last edited:
I comprehensive Blog on the Nicki Lynas Abduction can be seen in a update

Head over to Melbourne Marvel's Page-

I follow you on Reddit too, I seriously doubt there is anyone else in journalism more qualified to be briefed on the Sierra Files than you are. The amount of research and writing you've done is astounding. Great work.

I really hope Nicki was able to live a well-adjusted life - she comes off as incredibly smart and cunning. This sort of trauma would never leave someone but I hope she got the support and stability that would be required.

Also the description of the sicko sounds a lot like the stubby little prick Elkner.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I follow you on Reddit too, I seriously doubt there is anyone else in journalism more qualified to be briefed on the Sierra Files than you are. The amount of research and writing you've done is astounding. Great work.

I really hope Nicki was able to live a well-adjusted life - she comes off as incredibly smart and cunning. This sort of trauma would never leave someone but I hope she got the support and stability that would be required.

Also the description of the sicko sounds a lot like the stubby little prick Elkner.
I'm not the Author of the melbourne marvels page, i just report when there's an update.
Yes, its one on the most comprehensive studies of Mr C.
I guess the next step for the guys working he case, is to develop a kind of profile. Working the case for so long you get a feel for what MrC was like.
I think these researchers are well advanced to be even be allowed full access to the police files. A fresh mind, can find something that's been missed.

Personally
I still think MrC is an unemployed looser, who was very lucky not to get detected. He's not as organised as people think, and may have missed details like, putting petrol in his car before the attack on Nicki. He has levels of compulsive behaviour, like over preparing in some other aspects. He showed signs of nervousness in the early attacks. (hands shaking) And signs of insecurity, like talking to imaginary friends. so he's not the hardened criminal like people think. MrC has no friends or associates, so i think the FBI profile is way off the mark. He's a mummies boy, with his mom probably knitting his Balaklava. The overalls are probably his dads.

Theres a lot of info via that link johnnymac posted from melbinmarvels.
I must have been down some "rabbit holes" for 8 hours following the info lines.
So much info there that was not available previously.
Well done.
Thanks again for the research.

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

I’ve only just discovered the crime board and am fascinated by this mystery.

Has the possibility that the plane noises were a recording designed to deceive the investigators ever been considered? He seemed to throw out red herrings routinely as part of his MO from what I’ve read.

Make yourself at home.

I don't think anybody thought of that but yeah agree it might have been one of his red herrings.

Has the possibility that the plane noises were a recording designed to deceive the investigators ever been considered? He seemed to throw out red herrings routinely as part of his MO from what I’ve read.
An interesting theory, but would be very hard to replicate at a volume that would be considered believable, and then not attract attention of neighbours. Also would need a degree of "surround sound" to sound authentic.

An interesting theory, but would be very hard to replicate at a volume that would be considered believable, and then not attract attention of neighbours. Also would need a degree of "surround sound" to sound authentic.
I used to live near Greensborough, I'd have planes basically go right above my house. Mr Cruel was suspected to live in Eltham. I'd say it's more likely he was under a flight path than faking it.

It has been considered. I've seen it mentioned a few times on comments and did wonder it myself. But, I've never seen police mention it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back