MRP / Trib. Hunter on Rozee hit

Remove this Banner Ad

What do we think?

IMO, I'm not sure what Hunter could've realistically done there. But you can argue that his eyes weren't entirely on the footy and that some of his movements could've been done differently. Genuine 50/50 as to what happens here. If he does get cited, expect this to last all week.

What do we think?

IMO, I'm not sure what Hunter could've realistically done there. But you can argue that his eyes weren't entirely on the footy and that some of his movements could've been done differently. Genuine 50/50 as to what happens here. If he does get cited, expect this to last all week.

Agree with that.

He really had 3 options. 1) do what he did. 2) put his head down and go for the ball likely result in a clash of heads. 3) stand still front on and cop a head to the groin.

Hunter took the first option which is how we teach kids what to do from Auskick.

One player went for the ball, the other took his eyes off the ball and turned his hip into Rozee's head. You guys are on crack.

If Tom Jonas or SPP had done exactly the same action they'd be hung drawn and quartered.

For years we've heard how the head is sacrosanct, and how the player has a duty of care to his opponent. Rozee's head is down going for the ball. Hunter turns his hip into him. You can't do that.

2 weeks because rozee got up. 4 if he was KOed.

One player went for the ball, the other took his eyes off the ball and turned his hip into Rozee's head. You guys are on crack.

If Tom Jonas or SPP had done exactly the same action they'd be hung drawn and quartered.

For years we've heard how the head is sacrosanct, and how the player has a duty of care to his opponent. Rozee's head is down going for the ball. Hunter turns his hip into him. You can't do that.

Lol yeah ok

What was up with Rozees reaction? Went down like he was shot, acted dazed and confused for a bit then all good no worries I'll take my kick? Did Hunter actually get him in the head? Looked upper chest for mine

Can we please bring back reprimands where the player just gets a warning about the head?

I hate seeing a footy collision like this have someone sit out a week.

I know he had his head hit but what was hunter supposed to do in the moment?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we please bring back reprimands where the player just gets a warning about the head?

I hate seeing a footy collision like this have someone sit out a week.

I know he had his head hit but what was hunter supposed to do in the moment?
Play the ball. See the Rankine incident in the Crows-Bulldogs game today for the difference (30 seconds in of the below clip).

Rankine was reported but I fully expect him to get off because of that, compared to the Hunter incident.

People need to get used to this. It's not going away.

Hunter shafted He was stationary. What the hell is he meant to do? Step out of the way because Rozee is coming in? Pathetic.

He absolutely was not stationary. He ran in and braced when he realised Rozee had gotten their quicker and gone in lower. In that situation it's always been the responsibility of the player coming in late to not make forceful contact to the head. It was a physical game and there is clearly no malice, but there's any number of things he could have done to avoid contact that forceful.

1 week is fair. He's lucky Rozee isn't concussion prone or the AFL would have applied their bullshit outcome instead of action clause and given him 3-4.

Hunter did exactly what the AFL has been preaching for years, keep your feet and don't go to ground.

The collision is all on Rozee, completely his fault.

No case to answer.

On first viewing, I put that entirely on Rozee.

He's still at fault here, leading with the head is stupid.

BUT, there is an angle that shows Hunter never look at the ball. The ball actually goes past him because he's too busy watching Rozee.

I think he's just misjudged the timing, and had he went the ball, he'd probably have collected it by the time Rozee gets there.

Last edited:
It's tough because he has to make a split second decision and get it right. But, whilst trying to protect himself, he takes his eyes off the ball and he puts Rozee at risk.

It's tough because he has to make a split second decision and get it right. But, whilst trying to protect himself, he takes his eyes off the ball and he puts Rozee at risk.

And Rozee put himself at risk by diving at the ball head first.

If Rozee hit Hunter's legs in the same scenario is it a free kick to Hunter ?

This whole idea of He ToOk HiS eYeS oFf ThE bAlL is completely cooked. There is nothing in the rules that say you are not allowed to take your eyes off the ball. Having played footy albeit at a low standard, there are many times throughout a game where it is essential that you take your eyes off the ball to protect yourself and even your opponents.

I think Hunter is stiff. Rozee got to the ball first and Hunter turns and braces for contact. This wasn’t a case of Hunter cynically picking off a vulnerable player.

Seems as though the AFL are petrified of the lawsuits and think rubbing players out for pretty stock standard football actions will fix it. Personally, I’d be seething at Hunter if he had have jumped out of Rozee’s way but it seems that’s what AFL HQ want him to do.

It’s probably a discussion for another thread but sometimes safety measures in sport result in contrary outcomes. By attempting to make ‘eyes on the ball’ the only thing that matters, I’d wager we’ll see a rise in awful head clashes over the next few years. A bit like how cricketers today have worse techniques in dealing with short pitched bowling because of the reliance on helmets.

I reckon the worse look for the game was that Rozee looked stunned and yet was still permitted to take his kick and stay out there.

Should be reduced to a fine due to how much mayo rozee put on the contact. Bloke should've gone off for a HIA. Must've told the trainers he faked it and that's why he stayed out there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back