MRP / Trib. Hunter on Rozee hit

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty damn harsh on Hunter but the decision is right. When I was watching the game I thought he would be ok, seemed to be stationary and I thought Connor kind of ran into him.

Hunter doesn't go for the ball, and instead blocks the players and makes high contact. What was his alternative? Get to the ball first, or tackle.

I thought the exact opposite. When it happened, I thought he was definitely going to be suspended.

He doesn't go for the ball and has time to turn and brace to make contact. If he goes for the ball and makes contact, no suspension.

So it’s alright to look someone in the eye and punch them in the stomach (a deliberate non football act) but it’s not ok to brace yourself for contact, he didn’t run past the ball and he did everything he could to not hurt Rozee. You can’t knock a player for having a good hard crack at the ball like Rozee did and Connor was lucky Lachie avoided as much contact as he could of possibly done.

You’re just another one of the muppets that slows everything down, has no idea what real time football feels like, it’s a split second decision. He wasn’t sitting there watching Rozee for 2 minutes like you’re making it out to be.
Lol! Love tap from Daicos, after some provocation. Wouldn’t have inconvenienced my grandmother. On the other hand Hunter wasn’t going for the ball, whilst Rozee was. Hunter had eyes only for Roze, who could have been severely injured. Hunter lucky to only get 1. You’ve got absolutely no idea Fitzey. Doubt if you’ve even kicked a football, much less played in a game.

Happy with 1 week because reality is it’s precedent

BUT

There is 100% truth to the way Rozee went for it being dangerous.

Just like players running into marking contests unaware, diving head first for the ball is a dangerous technique that should be coached out of players for their own safety. I have no doubt players are encouraged to go head first as it draws a free kick (plus we applaud desperation/courage).

Time and time again we have seen the older player keep their feet and brace, while the younger player goes in head first, gets the free, and gets a contributive knock to CTE for their troubles.

On a broader note, the AFL is damned if they do, damned if they don’t. Protect the head? The head becomes a way of either getting the ball because another player is careful about it, or it draws a free kick so it’s still in harms way. Don’t protect it? They’re not doing enough about it.

One player went for the ball, the other took his eyes off the ball and turned his hip into Rozee's head. You guys are on crack.

If Tom Jonas or SPP had done exactly the same action they'd be hung drawn and quartered.

For years we've heard how the head is sacrosanct, and how the player has a duty of care to his opponent. Rozee's head is down going for the ball. Hunter turns his hip into him. You can't do that.

2 weeks because rozee got up. 4 if he was KOed.

I mean Jonas literally got off last week for bumping someone in the head and causing injury, and apparently North fans were on crack then for saying “hang on a minute, what about incidents X/Y/Z” so maybe he isn’t the best example

It's a tough one. But have to say good on Rozee for not milking the s**t out of it and getting up quickly.
Huh? He flopped like an absolute fish, even feigned concussion symptoms which miraculously disappeared once the footy was in his hands. Port didn't conduct a HIA either? Wouldn't mind a discussion about that

Lol! Love tap from Daicos, after some provocation. Wouldn’t have inconvenienced my grandmother. On the other hand Hunter wasn’t going for the ball, whilst Rozee was. Hunter had eyes only for Roze, who could have been severely injured. Hunter lucky to only get 1. You’ve got absolutely no idea Fitzey. Doubt if you’ve even kicked a football, much less played in a game.
Alright ask yourself, what would you do if someone was charging at you at 30km/h? My tip is that you probably just go to the left or the right to avoid contact like the AFL is suggesting. That’s not a football act though. Hunter does that and the media fly into him. Can’t win!

Last edited:
Alright ask yourself, what would you do if someone was charging at you at 30km/h? My tip is that you probably just go to the left or the right to avoid contact like the AFL is suggesting. That’s not a football act though. Hunter does that and the media fly into him. Can’t win!

These sorts of contests happen in every quarter of every game and players manage to avoid bumping their opponent high. I think he ultimately just mistimed it a bit and left himself nowhere no go, but the idea that this open field contest was some sort of unavoidable football collision is silly. Players avoid hitting opponents high in this sort of contest all the time.

These sorts of contests happen in every quarter of every game and players manage to avoid bumping their opponent high. I think he ultimately just mistimed it a bit and left himself nowhere no go, but the idea that this open field contest was some sort of unavoidable football collision is silly. Players avoid hitting opponents high in this sort of contest all the time.

That's the point. It wasn't dirty per se, but you can't claim you innocently 'braced' when you ran full tilt at a contest knowing you were getting there second, not make any attempt to tackle stop/slow down inches from the opponent's head. The issue around bumping is far less controversial for me as you always have the secondary option of tackling. It's the dangerous tackles like Jonas's that are pretty close to unavoidable. He tackled, the player resisted/shrugged, Jonas falls in the wet conditions and drags Mcdonald with him. The only way to avoid it is to release the tackle and let the guy run away.

That's the point. It wasn't dirty per se, but you can't claim you innocently 'braced' when you ran full tilt at a contest knowing you were getting there second, not make any attempt to tackle stop/slow down inches from the opponent's head. The issue around bumping is far less controversial for me as you always have the secondary option of tackling. It's the dangerous tackles like Jonas's that are pretty close to unavoidable. He tackled, the player resisted/shrugged, Jonas falls in the wet conditions and drags Mcdonald with him. The only way to avoid it is to release the tackle and let the guy run away.

If he didn't pull up Rozee is in a wheelchair

Most of the time players don’t lead with their head and go as hard as Connor did. Good on him for doing it, it’s great for the game but players shouldn’t get suspended for trying to minimise contact when the opposition player is asking to get knocked out pretty much.

That’s not having a crack at Connor, I love the way he goes about it but you attack the ball like that and you should expect to get hurt every now and then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of the time players don’t lead with their head and go as hard as Connor did. Good on him for doing it, it’s great for the game but players shouldn’t get suspended for trying to minimise contact when the opposition player is asking to get knocked out pretty much.

That’s not having a crack at Connor, I love the way he goes about it but you attack the ball like that and you should expect to get hurt every now and then.

Clearly he should have slide tackled the ball like Viney and tried to break Hunter's leg. Protects himself, doesn't get suspended, everyone wins.

Players do put their head over the ball though, a lot, and opponents manage to avoid bumping them high. If Hunter had been standing still and/or had stood front on and attempted a tackle or corral, this thread wouldn't exist. The well established rules are that players with their head over the ball have right of way and get protected. Rozee is just doing what every player would have done in that scenario and just happened to be a bit quicker to the contest than Hunter anticipated.

If he pulled up earlier he's playing this week.

If we were playing in a time where it was acceptable to hit players while they were head over the ball, Rozee likely wouldn't even be getting a game or would have been 10kg heavier, run past the ball, jumped and put his elbow through Hunter's face.

If we were playing in a time where it was acceptable to hit players while they were head over the ball, Rozee likely wouldn't even be getting a game or would have been 10kg heavier, run past the ball, jumped and put his elbow through Hunter's face.

Rozee ran into Hunter, Hunter was stationary.

Rozee hit Hunter

In todays ridiculous footy climate, it's a week. The game is getting damn soft though. Damn soft. Rozee sliding in head first no doubt contributed but hunter just needed to keep his eyes on the footy at the last split second and he would've been fine. I loved how Hunter was at the tribunal though. Embarrassed the afl with their own terrible logic of 'stepping out of the way'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back