MRP / Trib. Hunter on Rozee hit

Remove this Banner Ad

If he gets off on appeal while Jonas cops the week I will spew up

He should get off, and Jonas should get a week. Jonas did a dangerous tackle. Hunter held his ground and turned sideways for impact - as players are taught. Its not his fault Rozee dived head first at the ball. That is on Rozee.

Duty of care should be, in order-

-winning the game
-self preservation
-care for opponent

The AFL seem to want

-care for opponent
-care for officials
-winning the ball

Hope they appeal

Jack Riewoldt and Jeremy Howe both summed it up well on 360 today, both agreed he's not playing the ball and he's fixated on Rozee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like Jonas was on Zurhaar and Hayward on Wardlaw.
Thought Jonas could easily have got a week, I suspect the lack of reaction from Zurhaar at the time was why it wasn't considered.

Haven't seen the Hayward on Wardlaw properly so won't comment.

I'm not sure I agree with the second part where they say IF he played the ball, they'd still suspend him.

I do agree with him not playing the ball and therefore being suspended.

Attachments

• 20230523_194755.jpg
    20230523_194755.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 33
Think its harsh to be honest, doesn't go past the ball. I think it just looked bad in real time and thats why he is getting the suspension.

I feel like the AFL has been telling players to attack the contest like Hunter did, kept his feet and approached side on, but since the other guy went in recklessly he's expected to something different.

I give up working out how they come up with suspensions these days. The game is already to far gone, I can’t even imagine what it’ll be like in 10 years. If a player doesn’t miss a final or even a grand final this year due to something as simple as this I’ll be surprised.

How is a junior coach meant to coach kids now? To run away from the ball and avoid contact is what the tribunal said Lachie should have done here to avoid suspension. There will be more contact in a game of soccer in 10 years time than there will be at AFL level if things keep trending in this direction.

Deservedly got a week. Was watching Rozee rather than the ball. Just another example of the Dees refusing to accept a correct determination.
So it’s alright to look someone in the eye and punch them in the stomach (a deliberate non football act) but it’s not ok to brace yourself for contact, he didn’t run past the ball and he did everything he could to not hurt Rozee. You can’t knock a player for having a good hard crack at the ball like Rozee did and Connor was lucky Lachie avoided as much contact as he could of possibly done.

You’re just another one of the muppets that slows everything down, has no idea what real time football feels like, it’s a split second decision. He wasn’t sitting there watching Rozee for 2 minutes like you’re making it out to be.

Think its harsh to be honest, doesn't go past the ball. I think it just looked bad in real time and thats why he is getting the suspension.

I feel like the AFL has been telling players to attack the contest like Hunter did, kept his feet and approached side on, but since the other guy went in recklessly he's expected to something different.

No the AFL has been telling players to protect the head.

Pretty damn harsh on Hunter but the decision is right. When I was watching the game I thought he would be ok, seemed to be stationary and I thought Connor kind of ran into him.

Upon reviewing it's clear that Hunter doesn't go for the ball, and instead blocks the players and makes high contact. He has alternatives: go for the ball and take what comes, or wait and apply the tackle.

Last edited:
Hunter never approaches the ball in a position to gather the ball at ground level.
Never extends the arms. Never bends the knees.

It appears to me (opinion only of course) Hunter was looking to make body contact to shepherd the approaching Rozee from the ball, and Rozee got there first at ground level, which was reasonably foreseeable.

Yes his intention wasn’t to bump. But it was to shepherd I think. Initiates contact through his actions, and make high contact.
Deserves a week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back