footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
This is not a critique on our recently stood-down vice captain, just a bit of a fun comparison between he and his old man, given their almost similar career games thus far:

PlayerGMKIMKHBDIGLBHHOTKFFFABR
Hunter, Mark13016853444952180101362001881073
Hunter, Lachie12917206741359307957643151437831

('Borrowed' these from afltables.com) Also noteworthy that Mark was edging close to 23yo when he played his first game, compared to 18yo Lachie.

For a guy who started off HB then moved to a midfield/occasional tagging role, Mark's kick tally not so different to Lachie's. Obviously modern style lends itself to more marks, but the handball differential is rather large (again due to their respective roles). Both seem to have trouble kicking between the big sticks accurately, but handy positive free kick differentials in both instances!

Could be awhile before a similar comparison is available for the Wallis, Liberatore, Cordy, Dunkley, West and Gowers clans!

This is not a critique on our recently stood-down vice captain, just a bit of a fun comparison between he and his old man, given their almost similar career games thus far:

('Borrowed' these from afltables.com) Also noteworthy that Mark was edging close to 23yo when he played his first game, compared to 18yo Lachie.

For a guy who started off HB then moved to a midfield/occasional tagging role, Mark's kick tally not so different to Lachie's. Obviously modern style lends itself to more marks, but the handball differential is rather large (again due to their respective roles). Both seem to have trouble kicking between the big sticks accurately, but handy positive free kick differentials in both instances!

Could be awhile before a similar comparison is available for the Wallis, Liberatore, Cordy, Dunkley, West and Gowers clans!

I think Mark was a better driver.

For comparison:

Wallis - Mitch 137 games vs Steve 261
Liberatore - Tom 134 vs Tony 283
Cordy - Zaine 74 vs Brian 124
Dunkley - Josh 69 vs Andrew 217
West - Rhylee 4 vs Scott 324 (only 320 to go!)
Gowers - Billy 31 vs Andrew 140

Mitch a chance to catch Steve, Tom you'd think a long-shot, Zaine should pass Brian, likewise Josh over Andrew.
I'm calling Rhylee to retire on 324 as well, a-la Sid Barnes and Bradman, while Billy might struggle to get within
cooee of Andrew.

Then there's Red Ed Richards - too hard to compare him to grand-dad Ron, great-uncle Lou, or any of those Greek
Pannam ancestors!

Lachie frees for 143, against 78.

Cue the Sydney posters

For comparison:

Wallis - Mitch 137 games vs Steve 261
Liberatore - Tom 134 vs Tony 283
Cordy - Zaine 74 vs Brian 124
Dunkley - Josh 69 vs Andrew 217
West - Rhylee 4 vs Scott 324 (only 320 to go!)
Gowers - Billy 31 vs Andrew 140

Mitch a chance to catch Steve, Tom you'd think a long-shot, Zaine should pass Brian, likewise Josh over Andrew.
Mitch won't catch Steve. He's 124 games behind and would need five almost injury free seasons after this one!

Mitch won't catch Steve. He's 124 games behind and would need five almost injury free seasons after this one!

Steve retired at almost 32, and suffered a broken leg that delayed his debut, and a knee reconstruction in 93 as well, costing most of that season.
Shall we bookmark it until Mitch retires, then catch up for a beer to discuss further? :)

Steve retired at almost 32, and suffered a broken leg that delayed his debut, and a knee reconstruction in 93 as well, costing most of that season.
Shall we bookmark it until Mitch retires, then catch up for a beer to discuss further? :)
Very well then. If Mitch plays until the end of 2025, then he may catch up to his old man. And I'll buy you a beer :beermug:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I submit to this court that the defendant is a recidivist with little hope of rehabitilitation. The key, your honour, must be thrown away...
(the gallery erupts)
Stone 'm...stone 'm!!!!!!!
Nice allusion to the Cometti call there.

It was just so reminiscent of Dennis, wasn't it?
Some of his turns of phrase were probably rehearsed before the call but it doesn't alter the fact that he had an entertaining way of expressing things and tried to avoid excessive use of cliches.

e.g. "he splits the indifference" when two opposition players aren't committed enough to chase Stringer.

Some of his turns of phrase were probably rehearsed before the call but it doesn't alter the fact that he had an entertaining way of expressing things and tried to avoid excessive use of cliches.

e.g. "he splits the indifference" when two opposition players aren't committed enough to chase Stringer.
But you didn't pick up my Bruce reference DW.....you know....state the blinding obvious and/or inane with a redundant question tag....I am so disappoint:)...but I agree, rehearsed as it may have been, Dennis had timing

But you didn't pick up my Bruce reference DW.....you know....state the blinding obvious and/or inane with a redundant question tag....I am so disappoint:)...but I agree, rehearsed as it may have been, Dennis had timing
Dogwatch couldntquite get the Bruce ref.
dogwatch is pretty thick - we know that - but you'd think he'd be more aware of subtleties, eh Dennis?

Some more of Denis

on the work of Bulldogs star Tony Liberatore as he burrowed into a pack:

Liberatore went into that last pack optimistically and came out misty optically.

or my favourite

Cousins runs away from Carr not for the first time

if he was still commentating

Smith collects a reckless handpass from Hunter a bit of deja vu there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back