SgtSchulz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber
Over 1,000,000 people live in the Hunter Valley & Central Coast areas yet discussion regarding an AFL team is minimal despite being an expansion market.

Thought I would create this thread for discussion and to keep an eye on the media.

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 12.44.51 PM.png

Very interesting, the AFL has 2 clubs in the what is termed the Sydney Basin which stretches from Newcastle in the north to Batemans bay in the South, it is really a geological term but the population between Newcastle and Wollongong including Sydney is about 6 and half million or about 30% of Australia's population - ( i could be out just rough calcs here)

It needs more than 2 AFL clubs, ATM it can't support that, but IF all goes to plan with GWS then a 3rd club must be on the horizon, albeit a horizon very far away but nonetheless you have to go where the population is.

I can see 2 scenarios, a team from Newcastle CC and indeed the northern tip of Sydney like the OP suggests or one in S/SW Sydney including Campbelltown, Liverpool etc, where GWS is centered is a long long way from those areas.

Come back some time after 2050 Schultz !! Too many AFL kwality players on Ports list are there?

FWIW its a great part of our country the Central Coast/ Brisbane Water area.

It is certainly worthy of discussion and considering 2050 is 34 years away i would imagine a 3rd AFL club in the Sydney basin way before then.

I am trying to think how many AFL/VFL clubs were in Sydney 34 years ago ?, in fact it was 34 years ago that the Swans moved to Sydney!

It is certainly worthy of discussion and considering 2050 is 34 years away i would imagine a 3rd AFL club in the Sydney basin way before then.

I am trying to think how many AFL/VFL clubs were in Sydney 34 years ago ?, in fact it was 34 years ago that the Swans moved to Sydney!

and in 34 years, they can only just support 1 club (and even then, only because they get propped up so they're always near the top of the ladder).

Until the area can actually come close to supporting 2 clubs (across the full range of ladder positions) without 'extra support', let's focus on places that can do so for further expansion.

Yeah right now but I can't see any expansion for at least 20 years anyway, might have the population/ desire by then

In 20 years time, given that only half of them will be AFL fans, Canberra will still be a smaller market than Hobart (not Tasmania, Hobart).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 20 years time, given that only half of them will be AFL fans, Canberra will still be a smaller market than Hobart (not Tasmania, Hobart).
Yeah I wouldn't put the ACT infront of Tas, but I would assume they would be on the AFL's radar more then the hunter region is. In saying that I have no idea who will be next, I never thought we'd have a second NSW team with a surprisingly catchy Russian inspired theme song before a Tas team but hear we are

That area can barely support an NRL team let alone another AFL team.

Got no idea, but we ain't talking about tomorrow or the next day and we are not talking about privately owned clubs.

We are talking 10 or twenty years.

I will bet that within the next 20 years Sydney or what i term the the Sydney basin will have another AFL team.

The first thing Newcastle have to do is upgrade sports oval number 1 for both cricket and football.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3354988/upgrading-sportsground-should-be-a-no1-priority/

Last edited:
Don't forget Broome, the Alice, Broken Hill and Nauru.

All not big enough i am afraid, gotta fish where the fish are and if they are not biting change bait or the lure.

Broome is not even big enough for any red lights, great place, the grey army from down south take over the place this time of the year, caravan parks are all chockers.

:D WCE crowds probably take a dip, either that or some grandkids get a chance to see the footy.

Newcastle doesn't even have a stadium that's capable of hosting big bash league.

That is true, the current council not keen to help, however things change, Councils change, Governments change and people change.

i have no doubt that eventually Newcastle will get a decent ground capable of holding decent cricket and football games, the bones of a great ground are already there, it is quite central.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_Number_1_Sports_Ground

Got no idea, but we ain't talking about tomorrow or the next day and we are not talking about privately owned clubs.

We are talking 10 or twenty years.

I will bet that within the next 20 years Sydney or what i term the the Sydney basin will have another AFL team.

The first thing Newcastle have to do is upgrade sports oval number 1 for both cricket and football.
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/3354988/upgrading-sportsground-should-be-a-no1-priority/

10 to 20 years? Will they be able to support even one (without 'additional help') by then?

10 to 20 years? Will they be able to support even one (without 'additional help') by then?

How can i answer your question ?, i don't know.

Don't many people claim that the increased TV rights due to extra games which include non Victorian teams make up for any AFL handouts ?.

If the increased TV rights actually do this, then what is actually the problem ?, the AFL is but a central collection point which distributes earnings to clubs and grass roots of the game as the self appointed guardian of the game.

How can i answer your question ?, i don't know.

Don't many people claim that the increased TV rights due to extra games which include non Victorian teams make up for any AFL handouts ?.

If the increased TV rights actually do this, then what is actually the problem ?, the AFL is but a central collection point which distributes earnings to clubs and grass roots of the game as the self appointed guardian of the game.

Some people might claim it, but it's crap.

Ch7 (and their advertisers) doesn't pay a massive premium to broadcast 4 games/week into 2 big markets only to get ratings that are worse than the VFL/WAFL game of the week get (and WAFL/VFL have to pay for those to be broadcast at all...in worse timeslots to boot).

All I'm saying is lets let those regions get vaguely near to profitable and able to produce their own talent (no more need for academies) before we look at adding more clubs there.

WA3, WA4, SA3 & Tas would all be a LONG way ahead of NSW3.

Some people might claim it, but it's crap.

Ch7 (and their advertisers) doesn't pay a massive premium to broadcast 4 games/week into 2 big markets only to get ratings that are worse than the VFL/WAFL game of the week get (and WAFL/VFL have to pay for those to be broadcast at all...in worse timeslots to boot).

It may or may not be crap but it it also swings and roundabouts, i believe the GWS/Sydney game was the highest rating 7mate program for the week in Sydney.

By starting new teams in areas such as GWS and the Suns you are building for the future, imagine a league without the Swans ATM or a few years ago the Lions, i think they have added more than what they have taken.

I still maintain that Sydney will have a third team within the next 10/20 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back