Opinion Hurn... is he the right guy for captain?

Is Hurn the right guy for captain?

• Yes, he is the best because he is a good guy and he has receding hair.

• No, let him back off the leash to be a beast like Brock Lesnar.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

WUUBLY DUUBLY

Team Captain
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
shtool.PNG

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I think Shuey is the standout tbh. There's plenty of talent, but lots of grunt and talent. And while he has really got on top of his brainfades and getting rubbed out, I love that he has a bit of mongrel about him. We miss that. Judd, Glass and Hurn just almost too nice/boring.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Glass may have been 'boring' but he was a genuine leader, no matter what he did everyone liked him.

Pat_Footy

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Who cares who is captain. This isn't cricket - it doesn't affect their influence on the game.

The captain doesn't do anything other than attend some extra photo opportunities and cop criticism from fans when things don't go as planned.

Who cares who is captain. This isn't cricket - it doesn't affect their influence on the game.

The captain doesn't do anything other than attend some extra photo opportunities and cop criticism from fans when things don't go as planned.
tumblr_inline_nbnguunQKK1ryxhvf.jpg

Anybody who has played footy could tell you how a motivational and intelligent captain can make you walk ten foot taller on-field.

Pat_Footy

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
tumblr_inline_nbnguunQKK1ryxhvf.jpg

Anybody who has played footy could tell you how a motivational and intelligent captain can make you walk ten foot taller on-field.

Why not make everyone a captain then.... Rotate it around. Maybe they will all start getting some internal belief. You are really clutching at straws if you think a team needs some sort of inspirational leader for other lesser lights to gain self belief.

Why not make everyone a captain then.... Rotate it around. Maybe they will all start getting some internal belief. You are really clutching at straws if you think a team needs some sort of inspirational leader for other lesser lights to gain self belief.
I would argue against your point, but I fail to see any semblance of logic in it...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 14, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
West Coast

Yeah, Na. You can certainly have captains that fit your description, but those that impose themselves on the game, the contest, the moment are those that are revered as leaders.

Worsfold. Cousins. Selwood, Risciuto, Dipper, Bartlett....not an exhaustive list but you get the picture. And as much as I'm starting to hate that f***ing campaigner...Hodge.

Pat_Footy

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah, Na. You can certainly have captains that fit your description, but those that impose themselves on the game, the contest, the moment are those that are revered as leaders.

Worsfold. Cousins. Selwood, Risciuto, Dipper, Bartlett....not an exhaustive list but you get the picture. And as much as I'm starting to hate that f***ing campaigner...Hodge.

WCE don't have a Cousins type leader on the list. I assume the BF consensus is Kennedy but he is not of Cousins-ilk. When the next Cousins comes onto the list, everyone will know.

May 14, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
West Coast
WCE don't have a Cousins type leader on the list. I assume the BF consensus is Kennedy but he is not of Cousins-ilk. When the next Cousins comes onto the list, everyone will know.
I think the general consensus is that Shuey is the closest to that leader we have on the list.

But I'm not sure what your point is on this. I thought what you were getting at was that the captain's role is superfluous and more about PR.

Pat_Footy

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the general consensus is that Shuey is the closest to that leader we have on the list.

But I'm not sure what your point is on this. I thought what you were getting at was that the captain's role is superfluous and more about PR.

I do think that. Cousins would have been a sensational leader, regardless of the captain tag. He was, while Judd was captain. Glass was the same. People attach the captain's play/goal but it's really just a supporter/media driven call.

Shuey has only been elevated to the leadership group this year. The players all elected Hurn their captain - or so we have been told.

Does it really matter who out of Hurn/Kennedy/Shuey/Priddis is captain?

May 14, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
West Coast
I do think that. Cousins would have been a sensational leader, regardless of the captain tag. He was, while Judd was captain. Glass was the same. People attach the captain's play/goal but it's really just a supporter/media driven call.

Shuey has only been elevated to the leadership group this year. The players all elected Hurn their captain - or so we have been told.

Absolutely. I can only speak from my experience and a good captain makes a f****** huge difference. It's an intangible, sure, but so much in Sport and leadership is intangible. To dismiss that as simply a supporter/media thing is naive I think.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Glass may have been 'boring' but he was a genuine leader, no matter what he did everyone liked him.
he was a bit of a flog at times and never took a backward step. I remember a few years back tex and few crows were starting on him and he floored tex with ease and tex just shut up and walked away.

Bunga may go in for the occassional hit but he never engages in any physicality or even sledge his opponent. I think a lot of the best leaders in the comp love a bit of niggle and also love giving a bit of lip service. Shuey is the only one on our list that does that. However, i would like to see shuey have another season like this one before he is awarded captaincy.

Double the Fist

i wull eet yur fayce karnt
Dec 16, 2008
On the edge....
AFL Club
West Coast
JK purely because he can answer questions coherently in the media. Hurn struggles big time and keeps repeating the same stupid cliches.
JK because he has balls, never stops trying to drag us over the line, only goes missing when our team goes to s**t, is the master of second and third efforts, embodies EVERYTHING I want in a WCE Captain.
I like Hurn, but without knowing him or his captaincy ways, certainly doesn't inspire me at all.

WUUBLY DUUBLY

Team Captain
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
he was a bit of a flog at times and never took a backward step. I remember a few years back tex and few crows were starting on him and he floored tex with ease and tex just shut up and walked away.

Bunga may go in for the occassional hit but he never engages in any physicality or even sledge his opponent. I think a lot of the best leaders in the comp love a bit of niggle and also love giving a bit of lip service. Shuey is the only one on our list that does that. However, i would like to see shuey have another season like this one before he is awarded captaincy.
Big Tex....now there is a flogg!!

The bolded part... read between the lines. I suspect you may be onto something there.

Back