Toast Hutchings

Jan 8, 2008
United Arab Emirates
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Seriously how good is this guy? Picked up at pick 60 after being delisted by St KILDA(lol) two years ago and has fitted in from the get go. Averaging over 20 disposals a game and 7 tackles, he's pretty much what we have been missing in our midfield. With all the injuries we've had he's stepped up and not only gets the hard ball but provides sheppards and blocks for his other teammates which we don't really see from our other players.

Serious man love for this guy, will be interesting to see how he plays with support from an injury free midfield next year.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I liked the part where he casually walked his dog along the wing before he got mown down. How very rude.

Should of had more awareness for sure, but there was no talk either at that stage.
I didnt see enough of his game today being stuck one end of the ground behind the goals, so i cant say whether i thought he played great today or not. I saw him do a few good things only. I'll leave it to you guys to be the judge.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Still looks shaky in the middle, rushes his play a bit too much but when he gets more games and confidence he will be a great extractor.

Definitely needs to be more confident, but i'd wait til after 50 games to see how he's going before making an assessment on whether he will make it or not. Needs more time but looks good in parts.

SpaceClef

Big Willie
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life WCE Wings Guernsey
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
There's no way we can consider him a Kerr/Priddis replacement without settling for mediocrity. He's not a bad player but I really can't see him being anything more than a slight upgrade on Priddis. He hasn't shown good goalkicking nous and he's pretty one paced, so it's not clear if he has the flexibility to play multiple positions.

I think he's racked up some good stats and has slotted in nicely, but I don't rate him as more than depth. He just doesn't really have any redeeming A grade quality to him. Vanilla personified.

Certainly deserves massive kudos for working super hard on his game after being delisted though

galen

All Australian
May 1, 2006
Hopetoun
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
North Footscray
if u had him in yur DT, you would of been laughin' the last few weeks ;p virtually picked him up for nothing and hes built right up.

kS1MCHg.png

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
There's no way we can consider him a Kerr/Priddis replacement without settling for mediocrity. He's not a bad player but I really can't see him being anything more than a slight upgrade on Priddis. He hasn't shown good goalkicking nous and he's pretty one paced, so it's not clear if he has the flexibility to play multiple positions.

I think he's racked up some good stats and has slotted in nicely, but I rate him as more than depth. He just doesn't really have any redeeming A grade quality to him. Vanilla personified.

Certainly deserves massive kudos for working super hard on his game after being delisted though

Well if we have no one else and he is a slight upgrade on Priddis then a slight upgrade is much better than a downgrade or staying the exact same.

SpaceClef

Big Willie
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Well if we have no one else and he is a slight upgrade on Priddis then a slight upgrade is much better than a downgrade or staying the exact same.
hmmm....let's see what happens over the next few years. I'm happy to be proved wrong

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
hmmm....let's see what happens over the next few years. I'm happy to be proved wrong

He already runs both ways harder than Priddis and can actually keep up with his opponent too, so he's an upgrade there. He doesnt get as many possessions yet and still makes a few mistakes but he's only young, and when he does get into space, he does kick some very nice kicks to advantage for our forwards that have resulted in goals. I think you're being too harsh considering Masten has taken 5 seasons to be decent and he was a number 3 pick.

WCEbrody

Premiership Player
May 17, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea,Chicago Bulls
Solid depth player and has played really well this year, really stepped up and given 100% when he's been picked.

SpaceClef

Big Willie
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
He already runs both ways harder than Priddis and can actually keep up with his opponent too, so he's an upgrade there. He doesnt get as many possessions yet and still makes a few mistakes but he's only young, and when he does get into space, he does kick some very nice kicks to advantage for our forwards that have resulted in goals. I think you're being too harsh considering Masten has taken 5 seasons to be decent and he was a number 3 pick.
The pick he was taken at has nothing to do with it. It didn't take 5 seasons for people to realise that JON was not going to make it. Masten's development also had a lot to do with OP and other injuries in his first couple of years, as well as Woosha's reluctance to use him in the middle. Hutchings has probably already had more time in the guts than Masten did in his first two years.

I just think Hutchings is good across the board but has no stand out qualities. His smarts/awareness, foot skills, speed, and size are all just average. We already have too many midfielders like this, and the recent discussions about Priddis demonstrate what can happen when you put your eggs into such a basket.

I reckon he's a good player, but if the recruiting team overlooked inside mids in the next draft because of Hutchings's form, then I would be pretty disappointed.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
The pick he was taken at has nothing to do with it. It didn't take 5 seasons for people to realise that JON was not going to make it. Masten's development also had a lot to do with OP and other injuries in his first couple of years, as well as Woosha's reluctance to use him in the middle. Hutchings has probably already had more time in the guts than Masten did in his first two years.

I just think Hutchings is good across the board but has no stand out qualities. His smarts/awareness, foot skills, speed, and size are all just average. We already have too many midfielders like this, and the recent discussions about Priddis demonstrate what can happen when you put your eggs into such a basket.

I reckon he's a good player, but if the recruiting team overlooked inside mids in the next draft because of Hutchings's form, then I would be pretty disappointed.

It has everything to do with peoples expectations mate. Most people would expect a pick 3 to dominate or at least be the best mid in their team after a few seasons, but less likely for a pick 60 to do the same. If it wasnt the case no one would keep bringing up the Tambling vs Buddy debate or Watts v Naitanui. IMO Masten has taken a long time to be decent and i think that part of the reason people havent been as impatient as they normally would is because we got JK in that same trade for Judd, and he has become an absolute gun. Masten is now playing good footy (pre injury) which is great, but he's been given a lot of space on here where others havent.
No one is saying we shouldnt target the best mids we can get in the next draft just because Hutch has been good for a late draft pick who has played maybe ten games, we're just saying you have to give the guy time to get comfortable, find a role that suits his capabilities, and get some confidence before you write him off.

Reminiscence

All Australian
Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Rangers, Charlotte Hornets
Probably a rich man's Priddis, but not by much.
Better disposal by foot, smaller and not as strong, and maybe a tad faster than Priddis.

Back