Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

1. SpaceClefAll Australian

West Coast
    Other teams:
    May 11
    My Goodness Maginness
    He's also 24 early next year. He's had at least three AFL preseasons incl at St Kilda so it's not as if he's Malcolm Karpany.

I don't really get your style v no-style point. Swan was a hugely hyped marquee player in the late 00s despite having a weird running style. What's that got to do with Hutch?

The Masten preseason threads are a joke more than anything else. Maybe I don't pay attention to the fan boy stuff as much as you.

I don't think it's got anything to do with style, it's just that Hutchings doesn't do anything extraordinarily well, either at AFL or WAFL level. He's consistent, predictable and vanilla. That's what people find unappealing - it's more fun to latch on to players with a weapon or two with the hope they'll eventually correct their weaknesses and turn into guns.

I think most people have decided now that Masten and Selwood won't, and so I don't think you'll see too many fanbois over those two from now on.
    SpaceClef, Yesterday at 9:11 PMReport
    #282Like+Reply
    TW_Gangee likes this

So I guess this wasn't you saying he doesn't do anything well at AFL or WAFL level? If he can't do anything well at WAFL level, how the hell did he win the medal for BOG in the WAFL a Grand Final? How did he he poll so well in the Sandover last year despite missing quite a few games in the AFL? ;)

1. SpaceClefAll Australian

West Coast
    Other teams:
    May 11
    My Goodness Maginness
    He's also 24 early next year. He's had at least three AFL preseasons incl at St Kilda so it's not as if he's Malcolm Karpany.

I don't really get your style v no-style point. Swan was a hugely hyped marquee player in the late 00s despite having a weird running style. What's that got to do with Hutch?

The Masten preseason threads are a joke more than anything else. Maybe I don't pay attention to the fan boy stuff as much as you.

I don't think it's got anything to do with style, it's just that Hutchings doesn't do anything extraordinarily well, either at AFL or WAFL level. He's consistent, predictable and vanilla. That's what people find unappealing - it's more fun to latch on to players with a weapon or two with the hope they'll eventually correct their weaknesses and turn into guns.

I think most people have decided now that Masten and Selwood won't, and so I don't think you'll see too many fanbois over those two from now on.
    SpaceClef, Yesterday at 9:11 PMReport
    #282Like+Reply
    TW_Gangee likes this

So I guess this wasn't you saying he doesn't do anything well at AFL or WAFL level? If he can't do anything well at WAFL level, how the hell did he win the medal for BOG in the WAFL a Grand Final? How did he he poll so well in the Sandover last year despite missing quite a few games in the AFL? ;)
Wut.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
You seem to be doing the same thing as Eaglemaniac.

Either you claim that Selwood/Masten/Shuey didn't deserve so much time pumped into them or you argue that Hutchings deserves 100 games. You can't argue that Hutchings deserves to play 100 games simply because you think Selwood and Masten didn't deserve it. I'm sure that's some sort of logical fallacy

You're going off on your own tangent now. GWS and I have said he should get at least 50 games to see what he's got, now your going on about 100 games....

SimonAston

Draftee
Jul 8, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
This argument seems to be going around in circles. No he does not deserve 100 games simplybe
You seem to be doing the same thing as Eaglemaniac.

Either you claim that Selwood/Masten/Shuey didn't deserve so much time pumped into them or you argue that Hutchings deserves 100 games. You can't argue that Hutchings deserves to play 100 games simply because you think Selwood and Masten didn't deserve it. I'm sure that's some sort of logical fallacy

This argument does seems to be going around in circles.

He doesn't deserve X amount of games because others were given that luxury, but given that his form has been solid and the fact that a whole new midfielders is several years away he should keep getting opportunities.

The way I see it, if he improves his kicking (which I think he will because confidence seems an issue atm and that will grow with experience) he will be a handy player for us in the future.

I really don't understand how people can say stuff like; (any certain player) will never be part of a premiership midfield - it takes all types to contribute and not just silky/pacy outside mids. Although we could do with a few ;)

SpaceClef

Big Willie
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life WCE Wings Guernsey
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Haha im done. I'm happy for him to have another 30 games.

I can't believe you don't get what I mean when I say he doesn't do anything extraordinarily well. You can still win a Sandover without having any particular stand out abilities. There's a reason why a lot of state league medallists don't end up getting drafted.

30 more games then let's revisit this thread

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Haha im done. I'm happy for him to have another 30 games.

I can't believe you don't get what I mean when I say he doesn't do anything extraordinarily well. You can still win a Sandover without having any particular stand out abilities. There's a reason why a lot of state league medallists don't end up getting drafted.

30 more games then let's revisit this thread

My point is you're writing him off too early, thats all. If after 50 games he doesn't do enough to earn a spot then that's life, I just think players need time. Mind you, he's currently playing better than the rest if our midfield, so he might be around fir a while... ;)

SpaceClef

Big Willie
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life WCE Wings Guernsey
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
My point is you're writing him off too early, thats all. If after 50 games he doesn't do enough to earn a spot then that's life, I just think players need time. Mind you, he's currently playing better than the rest if our midfield, so he might be around fir a while... ;)
God help us

Smotie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Hutchings has already shown the talent he has. He isn't an overly gifted player talent wise but he is a descent footballer. By that it's clear he isn't Chris Judd but his disposal isn't as bad as say....priddis.
Too early to tell if he can be part of a quality midfield but he could be a good inside mid IMO.

Barney44

All Australian
Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
There was an instance last week at EP Vs Peel game where he picked up the ball and literally run through a guy who was standing in front of him without breaking stride. I was about 30m form it and could here the all the air being taken out the poor guy. He is a huge nugget of a bloke who does some fantastic things in general play. Hope he gets more game time.
He didn't play in that game.

Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
By that it's clear he isn't Chris Judd but his disposal isn't as bad as say....priddis.

You think Priddis is bad, watch back Butler in the second half. Three times, THREE, when the game was up in the air he directly turned the ball over, all at crucial stages.

Just one of the many list cloggers we have.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
You think Priddis is bad, watch back Butler in the second half. Three times, THREE, when the game was up in the air he directly turned the ball over, all at crucial stages.

Just one of the many list cloggers we have.

If priddis had only turned a ball over three times in only one game there wouldnt be a 200+ page thread devoted to his failings

Aug 30, 2007
NT
AFL Club
West Coast
The goal in the last quarter against Brisbane was seriously classy, and he did it without breaking a sweat.

Is it me, or has Hutchings disposal by foot significantly improved this season?

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
The goal in the last quarter against Brisbane was seriously classy, and he did it without breaking a sweat.

Is it me, or has Hutchings disposal by foot significantly improved this season?

He still makes the odd mistake at times, but then who doesn't in our side. McKenzie regularly turns it over or misses his target by foot and I've seen Shuey miss Gaff from 15 metres away this year, so he's not Robinson Crusoe there. ;)
I have seen Hutch hit targets this year with some great kicks such as the one where Naitanui won the tap and passed it off to him out of the centre and at full pace he nailed Kennedy right on the tit. I think he just needs confidence, but I'm not sure if he's now being converted into a tagged by Simpson or whether he was asked to tag Hanley last week to work on his defensive skills, or he was the only guy we had in the side with the pace and tackling to tag last week.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
now a good role player

He's better than that, he's just been asked to do this and has set himself for the task. He has a few tricks up his sleeve as evidenced by his GOTY contender earlier in the season, but he also makes a few mistakes at times. Most players do make mistakes every now and then, but when he makes one it gets highlighted by all and sundry.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
He's better than that, he's just been asked to do this and has set himself for the task. He has a few tricks up his sleeve as evidenced by his GOTY contender earlier in the season, but he also makes a few mistakes at times. Most players do make mistakes every now and then, but when he makes one it gets highlighted by all and sundry.

He has a knack for kicking important goals in close games s well.

Back