Senior List
Aug 27, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Horse Racing
Hello Big Footy Forum,

This is my top 32 rankings currently. This is based off their respected state 2017 league season (SANFL, WAFL, TAC CUP etc) but in particularly, the AFL U18 2017 Championship.
First time thread poster, looking forward to hearing what you think. (Didn’t include over-agers).

Cheers Hutchy Jnr

1. Luke Davies-Uniacke (Vic Country/Dandenong Stingrays) – 187/85kg

2. Cameron Rayner (Vic Metro/Western Jets)- 187cm/88kg

3. Jarrod Brander (Allies/Bendigo Pioneers)- 194cm/89kg

4. Darcy Fogarty (SA/Glenelg)- 192cm/92kg

5. Adam Cerra (Vic Metro/Eastern Rangers)- 186cm/85kg

6. Jaidyn Stephenson (Vic Metro/Eastern Rangers)- 189cm/76kg

7. Lochie O’Brien (Vic Country/Bendigo Pioneers)- 184cm/75kg

8. Jack Higgins (Vic Metro/Oakleigh Chargers)- 178cm/76kg

9. Sam Hayes (Vic Metro/ Eastern Rangers)- 203cm/93kg

10. James Worpel (Vic Country/Geelong Falcons)- 185/84kg

11. Paddy Dow (Vic Country/Bendigo Pioneers)- 184cm/78kg

12. Charlie Constable (Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons)- 190cm/83kg

13. Hunter Clark (Vic Country/Dandenong Stingrays)- 186cm/79kg

14. Nicholas Coffield (Vic Metro/Northern Knights)- 190cm/83kg

15. Connor Ballenden (Allies/Lions)- 199cm/99kgs

16. Joel Garner (Vic Metro/Eastern Rangers)- 183cm/81kg

17. Will Sutherland (Vic Metro/Scotch College)- 195cm/90kg

18. Jack Petruccelle (Vic Metro/Northen Knights)- 184cm/73kg

19. Andrew Brayshaw (Vic Metro/Sandringham)- 183cm/80kg

20. Patrick Naish (Vic Metro/Northern Knights)- 180cm/69kg

21. Lachlan Fogarty (Vic Metro/Western Jets)- 179cm/75kg

22. Jackson Edwards (SA/Glenelg)- 185cm/77kg

23. Oscar Allen (WA/West Perth)- 191cm/83kg

24. Jordan Houlahan (SA/Sturt)- 185cm/78kg

25. Harrison Petty (SA/Norwood)- 194cm/81kg

26. Brett Daniels (Vic Country/Bendigo Pioneers)- 172cm/70kg

27. Aaron Naughton (WA/Peel Thunder)- 194cm/84kg

28. Callum-Colmen Jones (SA/Sturt)- 201cm/98kg

29. Zac Bailey (Allies/Southern Districts/PAC)- 180cm/68kg

30. Stefan Giro (SA/Norwood)- 175cm/72kg

31. Dylan Moore (Vic Metro/Eastern Rangers)- 175cm/66kg

32. Oscar Clavarino (Vic Country/Dandenong)- 195cm/86kg

Next Best From Each State (Watch List):

SA: Mitch Crowden, Alex Martini, Charlie Ballard, Nathan Kreuger

Vic Country: Gryan Miers, Cassidy Parrish, Matthew Ling

Vic Metro: Noah Balta, Toby Wooller, Tristan Xerri

WA: Brandon Starcevich, Sam Taylor, Callan England

Allies: Brayden Crossley, Hugh Dixon, Charlie Sprago

Hutchy Jnr

Senior List
Aug 27, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Horse Racing
Top 30 Phantom Draft
(will post after trade week)

Last edited:

Glen Buterol

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 15, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'd be interested to know who will be around St Kilda's draft picks. We need midfield quality with pace & skills. As it stands we have picks 6 & 11.

Hutchy Jnr

Senior List
Aug 27, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Horse Racing
I'd be interested to know who will be around St Kilda's draft picks. We need midfield quality with pace & skills. As it stands we have picks 6 & 11.

Saints will be an interesting selection, again depends on who has already gone etc. I believe you need a mid with outside run and a KPP Defender.
Saints need a outside mid with run:
- Hunter Clark - is your best candidate, already trained with your club and should be around picks 10-15.
O'brien, Constable, Coffield (these boys potentially maybe gone by your pick). Dow potentially but you already have a few similar I believe.
Roughie in Petruccuelle (fastest guy in the draft, athletic guru and raw)

Saints need a KKP Defender (Gilbert on the out and need development):
- Clavarino- best pick to fit your side, would say few others who have had better champs, but fits a Saints mould.
Petty, Taylor, Naughton and even Balta spring to mine as alternatives.

Glen Buterol

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 15, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Saints will be an interesting selection, again depends on who has already gone etc. I believe you need a mid with outside run and a KPP Defender.
Saints need a outside mid with run:
- Hunter Clark - is your best candidate, already trained with your club and should be around picks 10-15.
O'brien, Constable, Coffield (these boys potentially maybe gone by your pick). Dow potentially but you already have a few similar I believe.
Roughie in Petruccuelle (fastest guy in the draft, athletic guru and raw)

Saints need a KKP Defender (Gilbert on the out and need development):
- Clavarino- best pick to fit your side, would say few others who have had better champs, but fits a Saints mould.
Petty, Taylor, Naughton and even Balta spring to mine as alternatives.

We have pick 6 (Hawthorn's pick) as well. Potentially Coffield, O'Brien & Constable available there?

Tbh if we keep picks 6 & 11 I hope we use them on mids. We've been burnt in the past going tall with early picks & I'd hope we recruit talls by trading in mature players & use our early picks on bulletproof / low risk types.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Hi Hutchy Jnr , great to see a new Phantom drafter strut their stuff. On current standings we would go into the draft with picks 1, 14 and 18 giving us LDU, Coffield (big fan I hope he is still available) and Petruccelle according to your rankings. Although we would match Ballenden falling at 15 and miss out on Petruccelle.

Would love that result for the Lions.

Hutchy Jnr

Senior List
Aug 27, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Horse Racing
Hi Hutchy Jnr , great to see a new Phantom drafter strut their stuff. On current standings we would go into the draft with picks 1, 14 and 18 giving us LDU, Coffield (big fan I hope he is still available) and Petruccelle according to your rankings. Although we would match Ballenden falling at 15 and miss out on Petruccelle.

Those 3 players would be super for your future.
I really hope/think Brisbane should take LDU with the first. Most advanced midfielder in the pool, big bodied (ready to go round 1). He's got pace, can hit the scoreboard and also takes a nice mark.
Coffield is fantastic, be a great win for you off the half back to break lines (hunter clark if not snapped up then, take him)
Ballenden KPP both forward and back at 199cm with upside for sure, worth the bid.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
A
I really hope/think Brisbane should take LDU with the first. Most advanced midfielder in the pool, big bodied (ready to go round 1). He's got pace, can hit the scoreboard and also takes a nice mark.
Coffield is fantastic, be a great win for you off the half back to break lines (hunter clark if not snapped up then, take him)
Ballenden KPP both forward and back at 199cm with upside for sure, worth the bid.
After watching the nationals I feel that there were a number of players that hurt their chances moving forward. Some enhanced reputations but feel others went backwards

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Yep, lot of talk on our board what to do with our pick 1 (most likely), most seem to favour Rayner's X-factor although LDU getting a few votes.

Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Clarke, Floyd, Farrell, Butts are a few that come to mind. A big 7 weeks of Tac coming up because the word is that outside the top 30-40 there is not much depth
The kids outside of Victoria are they playing outside of their age groups post champs and is this seen by recruiters as as a help or hinder ce to their chances of getting drafted

Newatthis

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Hello Big Footy Forum,

This is my top 32 rankings currently. This is based off their respected state 2017 league season (SANFL, WAFL, TAC CUP etc) but in particularly, the AFL U18 2017 Championship.
First time thread poster, looking forward to hearing what you think. (Didn’t include over-agers).

Cheers Hutchy Jnr

1. Luke Davies-Uniacke (Vic Country/Dandenong Stingrays) – 187/85kg

2. Cameron Rayner (Vic Metro/Western Jets)- 187cm/88kg

3. Jarrod Brander (Allies/Bendigo Pioneers)- 194cm/89kg

4. Darcy Fogarty (SA/Glenelg)- 192cm/92kg

5. Adam Cerra (Vic Metro/Eastern Rangers)- 186cm/85kg

6. Jaidyn Stephenson (Vic Metro/Eastern Rangers)- 189cm/76kg

7. Lochie O’Brien (Vic Country/Bendigo Pioneers)- 184cm/75kg

8. Jack Higgins (Vic Metro/Oakleigh Chargers)- 178cm/76kg

9. Sam Hayes (Vic Metro/ Eastern Rangers)- 203cm/93kg

10. James Worpel (Vic Country/Geelong Falcons)- 185/84kg

11. Paddy Dow (Vic Country/Bendigo Pioneers)- 184cm/78kg

12. Charlie Constable (Vic Metro/Sandringham Dragons)- 190cm/83kg

13. Hunter Clark (Vic Country/Dandenong Stingrays)- 186cm/79kg

14. Nicholas Coffield (Vic Metro/Northern Knights)- 190cm/83kg

15. Connor Ballenden (Allies/Lions)- 199cm/99kgs

16. Joel Garner (Vic Metro/Eastern Rangers)- 183cm/81kg

17. Will Sutherland (Vic Metro/Scotch College)- 195cm/90kg

18. Jack Petruccelle (Vic Metro/Northen Knights)- 184cm/73kg

19. Andrew Brayshaw (Vic Metro/Sandringham)- 183cm/80kg

20. Patrick Naish (Vic Metro/Northern Knights)- 180cm/69kg

21. Lachlan Fogarty (Vic Metro/Western Jets)- 179cm/75kg

22. Jackson Edwards (SA/Glenelg)- 185cm/77kg

23. Oscar Allen (WA/West Perth)- 191cm/83kg

24. Jordan Houlahan (SA/Sturt)- 185cm/78kg

25. Harrison Petty (SA/Norwood)- 194cm/81kg

26. Brett Daniels (Vic Country/Bendigo Pioneers)- 172cm/70kg

27. Aaron Naughton (WA/Peel Thunder)- 194cm/84kg

28. Callum-Colmen Jones (SA/Sturt)- 201cm/98kg

29. Zac Bailey (Allies/Southern Districts/PAC)- 180cm/68kg

30. Stefan Giro (SA/Norwood)- 175cm/72kg

31. Dylan Moore (Vic Metro/Eastern Rangers)- 175cm/66kg

32. Oscar Clavarino (Vic Country/Dandenong)- 195cm/86kg

Next Best From Each State (Watch List):

SA: Mitch Crowden, Alex Martini, Charlie Ballard, Nathan Kreuger

Vic Country: Gryan Miers, Cassidy Parrish, Matthew Ling

Vic Metro: Noah Balta, Toby Wooller, Tristan Xerri

WA: Brandon Starcevich, Sam Taylor, Callan England

Allies: Brayden Crossley, Hugh Dixon, Charlie Sprago
Is it just me or are everybody's top 30 dominated by Mids and Forwards. Why is this or are the defenders just not up to standard?

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Is it just me or are everybody's top 30 dominated by Mids and Forwards. Why is this or are the defenders just not up to standard?

There are some great defenders this year - it is just a general recruiting rule that a player that has the potential to play midfield or forward on an equal basis are worth more to a team as history has shown you can often manufacture a good defender from a good forward or midfielder but rarely the other way around. Same goes for tall forwards over rucks. Versatility has a high value in drafting, partially because the uncertainty about trends in the game and the needs of a team.

Take Brander for example - his high rating is based on the fact he is a good key forward, despite playing most of the championships back. If he was no good up forward then he would potentially sit around wherever Naughton (probably the best actual back prospect) would be. Interestingly I have Naughton higher on my list (13-17) because I see him as someone that can pinch hit in other positions.

I think Naughton, Petty, Taylor, Clavarino could all be quality defenders at AFL level and that without considering forwards that could be backs like Brander, Krueger and Balta.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
There are some great defenders this year - it is just a general recruiting rule that a player that has the potential to play midfield or forward on an equal basis are worth more to a team as history has shown you can often manufacture a good defender from a good forward or midfielder but rarely the other way around. Same goes for tall forwards over rucks. Versatility has a high value in drafting, partially because the uncertainty about trends in the game and the needs of a team.

Take Brander for example - his high rating is based on the fact he is a good key forward, despite playing most of the championships back. If he was no good up forward then he would potentially sit around wherever Naughton (probably the best actual back prospect) would be. Interestingly I have Naughton higher on my list (13-17) because I see him as someone that can pinch hit in other positions.

I think Naughton, Petty, Taylor, Clavarino could all be quality defenders at AFL level and that without considering forwards that could be backs like Brander, Krueger and Balta.
Looking forward to seeing that list you talk about.

Hutchy Jnr

Senior List
Aug 27, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Horse Racing
Is Sutherland actually that poor? I've heard and read that he'd go top 10 from most articles if he chooses footy over cricket.

I can only judge off what I've seen of him. I have only seen him at the U18 Champs.
For me he wasn't impressive throughout all games and didn't fully dominate one game. Sure he should some super skills, athletic ability and attributes to be a KPF and did dominated some games in patches.
Obviously my rankings will change over the months leading into the draft, so for sure he can move up.
A lot of phantoms are picking him in the top 10 due to him never fully committing to AFL for a season (cricket is during summer so hard to do a pre season and visa versa) and school footy stats. For him to make the Metro u18 squad for the u18 Champs, never doing a real footy pre season or playing out a full Junior AFL season (U16, bottom age u18) is super impressive.
For mine he isn't top 10 yet, and I need to see more of him and consistency across all 4 quarters. (Everyone has different opinions)

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Are you simultaneously finishing last and first this season ? How would you have picks 1 and 18 in an 18 team competition? Unless you have someone else's first round ie gws or adelaides that I don't know of. Your second round starts at pick 19, and with free agents will be pushed back 2-4 spots.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Are you simultaneously finishing last and first this season ? How would you have picks 1 and 18 in an 18 team competition? Unless you have someone else's first round ie gws or adelaides that I don't know of. Your second round starts at pick 19, and with free agents will be pushed back 2-4 spots.
Because GWS have a 1000 point penalty from the Lochie Whitfield saga and there for lost their first round pick. So the end of the first round is pick 17 and the beginning of the second round is currently pick 18. Of course the beginning of the second round could be pushed back from compensation pick/s or matching academy bids.

Hutchy Jnr

Senior List
Aug 27, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Horse Racing
I will be updating my rankings at the end of August..

Some Post Champs Info on some movers:
WA:
Aaron Naughton- Potentially could be the first Key Position Player taken this year now. Three senior WAFL games for Peel Thunder. Last weekends performance was clinical. Without doubt coming into calculations as a potential top 20 for mine. 18 intercept marks across three games at Senior level.
On that note Sam Taylor also debut last weekend at WAFL level.
Callan England looks to be the first midfielder to go from that State this year. Getting some big numbers at Colts level.

SA:
Mitch Crowden back into SANFL League team playing well at ground level, using his body.
Stefan Giro was also fantastic at Reserves level gathering 29 touches and looks to be on track for the League debut this weekend.
Issac Moller - Been watching this 191cm forward from the Eagles in the SANFL reserves level for a few weeks again impacting the score board he was very stiff not to get a run in the champs but Lukisous was keeping him out. A possible Rookie, but need to watch more! Looks lively.

SA Schoolboys football is back for some.
PAC V Sacred Heart was a clash of titans. The likes of Zac Bailey for PAC vs Charlie Ballard for Sacred Heart. A big scuffle broke out for around 2-3 minutes when Ballard crashed a pack late and took the head off a player. Zac Bailey was sent off in the second quarter for his continuous involvement in spot fires post scuffle, although he was seriously showing his top 20 calculations early on in the game. Cole Gerloff (SA u18 Squad Member) a sleeper in the draft for mine, ended up with BOG another high 20 touches and impacted the scoreboard, serious footballer. James Rowe (SA U18 Squad member) fought hard all day for the Hearts in the midfield. U16 State Team player Will Gould again showing his unbelievable strength throwing off players at will and impacting the scoreboard with 4 goals, playing up forward in a sound performance.

VIC- TAC Cup/Schoolboys:
I will start to take some more interest into the TAC Cup over the next few weeks but:

Welcoming Hunter Clark - 30 plus touches and impacting the scoreboard with 2 goals. Sure to be taken inside the top 15 now. Will be watching him closely next few games.
Tom De Konning- Unsure what to think of this young man. At stages in his game he screams draft me and their some stages he doesnt seem ready. Need to look more into him but showed a bit this weekend just been.

sydeston

Draftee
Aug 2, 2017
Burmie
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The kids outside of Victoria are they playing outside of their age groups post champs and is this seen by recruiters as as a help or hinder ce to their chances of getting drafted

I saw Hugh Dixon play for Kingston in the TSL seniors on the weekend. He kicked 4 goals in the first quarter and 5 in the first half. From memory 4 were from contested marks. He also played on the ball and won plenty of contested footy in the air and on the ground. In the second half, forward supply dried up completely, and Dixon spent more time up the ground. He was outstanding in a team beaten by 53 points. Grab the vision when it becomes available on the TSL site. He may go much higher than what is expected?

Fergus007

Draftee
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I saw Hugh Dixon play for Kingston in the TSL seniors on the weekend. He kicked 4 goals in the first quarter and 5 in the first half. From memory 4 were from contested marks. He also played on the ball and won plenty of contested footy in the air and on the ground. In the second half, forward supply dried up completely, and Dixon spent more time up the ground. He was outstanding in a team beaten by 53 points. Grab the vision when it becomes available on the TSL site. He may go much higher than what is expected?

Vision of Dixon up now on TSL Facebook page - interesting his first Glenorchy opponent ex Bris Lions defender.

Back