Hutchy says, Ralphy says, Jeff says Melbourne Relocate

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Oh Jeffrey - what have you said

How on earth could you possibly justify this as "Jeff helping Melbourne"?

This is "Jeff looking after Hawthorn's interests" and nothing more than that.

I don't have a problem with him looking after their interests, but you don't piss on someone else in an attempt to get a leg-up.

Jeff like a lot of club presidents, would prefer a team relocate rather than see a start up because of the scale of the concessions that would be given.

Jeff unlike other club presidents, hasn't got the class to keep those comments to himself.

Whilst Jeff should have minded his own business, he wasn't far from the truth you know. Melbourne have struggled for years and the only reason they are not worse off is because Joe Gutnick bankrolled them for the first few years after the merger.

Melbourne's membeship is low, their attendances are low, they don't have a stable training base or headquarters and they struggle to get sponsors. Melbourne need to bite the bullet and put a plan in place to get a quick fix or move before it is too late.

Whilst is may seem radical and unfair, maybe they need to move their home games to the Telstra Dome (I can already hear the sooking). At least this would make the MCC memers have to buy a membership, at the moment the majority of them get a free ride and this costs the club. Surely moving away from the 'G' would be better then moving away from the State?

They should also get rid of the marketing gurus that decided to ditch the mascot and nickname, surely these guys have taken 1st place in the 'Tool of the Year' award?

Unfortunately, for the MFC he already has made the comments, but the best you and your won president can come up with, is to call him names and attack his political career. I hope Jim comes in a tears both your players and and supporters a new one.
I dont agree with what Jeff has done, but I beleive he is doing what he thinks is best, so will support him till the cows come home. JK has pointed at MFC as the weekest link. Yes, he pointed at you, but it wasn't him that made you the weakest link in the first place.

Are you an idiot? Sounds like your talking about crap british game show.

Melbourne's membeship is low, their attendances are low, they don't have a stable training base or headquaters and they struggle to get sponsors. Melbourne need to bite the bullet and put a plan in place to get a quick fix or move before it is too late.

QUOTE]

Um are you aware at that melbourne is already in the final stages of rectifying this problem.

As I've said before and as JD has pointed out again, the issue is not whether he's right or wrong, the issue is that he should not be discussing other clubs finances to the media. It's a plain and simple issue. Kennet can discuss what's best for the hawks with the AFL until the cows come home, I don't care and neither does anyone else, but he was wrong to do what he did.

How could airing his personal beliefs regarding another clubs future to the media be of the benefit to the hawks? Alot of hawk fans are saying this but it makes no sense, I don't see any benefit the hawks could get from his babbling.

Since he arrived at the club ,he has been banging on about the fact that Victoria will not be able to maintain the amount of clubs it currently has. It make me wonder if he has taken the view that it is in the interest of the HFC that he forces the hand of another club(unfortunately that has been MFC) to save ours from the same fate in the future. We may be financial now, but things change. We all know that. MFC and HFC more than others. With the kangas not opting for the Gold Coast something will have to give soon. Strike while the irons hot! Harsh I know.

Or maybe hes just giving you the kick up the arse you need?????

Um are you aware at that melbourne is already in the final stages of rectifying this problem.

Given that it looks like you about to lose a $1M (minimum) this year and there's someone in the background looking to unseat the board, I don't think your in the final stage somehow.

Whilst Jeff should have minded his own business, he wasn't far from the truth you know. Melbourne have struggled for years and the only reason they are not worse off is because Joe Gutnick bankrolled them for the first few years after the merger.

You couldn't be further from the truth, although your post does highlight why the stance taken by the hawthorn fans are wrong on this issue, you guys simply don't have all the facts to make an accurate assesment of the situation.

Before Gutnick came to Melbourne we had money in the bank, in fact we were one of only a couple of Victorian clubs who weren't in debt. After Gutnick and those who he personally introduced to the board left the club we were in debt by over $5m, including losing about $7m in about 3 years.

You're right about one thing though, we are in financial trouble and we need to be brave and bold to turn things around.

Strange indeed. Melbourne supporters would have all voted for Jeff in his political days, now he turns on them.

Seriously though, who cares what Jeff says. As if he has that much credibility anymore... Just ignore it and move on. Everyone knows the demons are untouchable as they represent the best city in the world, and have the MCC behind them.

Given that it looks like you about to lose a $1M (minimum) this year and there's someone in the background looking to unseat the board, I don't think your in the final stage somehow.

What are you talking about? Gardiner has always stated that once the OP deal gets sorted out he'll probably stand down, how you've interpreted that to being a negative that we're looking for a successor is bewildering :confused:

Strange indeed. Melbourne supporters would have all voted for Jeff in his political days, now he turns on them.

Seriously though, who cares what Jeff says. As if he has that much credibility anymore... Just ignore it and move on. Everyone knows the demons are untouchable as they represent the best city in the world, and have the MCC behind them.

I agree about Jeff but your other comments are the reason why we're in this mess

Jeff's not worried about Hawthorn remaining in Melbourne.

He wouldn't be pushing for 'home' finals in Tassie is he was concerned about that.

Jeff is an economic rationalist. He would support a Super League format for the AFL if the accountants could justify it and he was offered a position on the commission, even if it meant Hawthorn relocate/merge.

I'm starting to think Hawthorn supporters should now be crowned the AFL's most delusional. I thought Carlton fans were blinded when they sat by and watched Collo use their club to further his own interests, but I think Hawthorn supporters are even topping that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you talking about? Gardiner has always stated that once the OP deal gets sorted out he'll probably stand down, how you've interpreted that to being a negative that we're looking for a successor is bewildering :confused:

If that is the case, why is Stynes lurking in the background? Why not come our and tell everyone he is ready to take over when Gardiner finshes? The fact is people aren't happy at Melbourne because Gardiner has taken too long to move and get things fixed. Probably because he has a full time job and Melbourne comes 2nd.

You incompetent generalising fool.

They may not have the most supporters.
But they have about 20,000 who are as passionate as anyones team in this entire league. This mindset will be over soon, surely anyone with half an education knows that if you destroy the core of anything (the history, the passion, the love) you will ultimately destroy the entire brand of AFL.

You know this how?

In my experience, Melbourne have by far the fewest what I would call 'passionate' supporters. In my entire life, of all the Melbourne supporters i've met, I'd say about 3 of them I would call 'passionate'. Compare that to North Melbourne, where i'd say all but one or two supporters i've met over the years classify as 'passionate'.

Haven't you ever noticed any time Melbourne is in strife, there's never a big supporter driven rally, like there is with every other Victorian club. s**t, even Fitzroy and South Melbourne had more voiciferous supporters on their death beds.

Melbourne Footy Club have been falling back on the fact that they are the oldest club in the land for far too long. They have to do something more than that it justify their continued presence in this competition.

Since the death of Fitzroy, every club in Victoria bar Essendon has been in some serious off field strife. All have responded to this point except Melbourne. Now that Footscray and North have charted their course, it has exposed the Demons as the straggler. Their response to this revelation has been meek at best.

A backhander from Jeff might just wake them up and get Dee's fans rallying. If they don't get fired up soon, they are not going to be in this league much longer.

No they don't.

If that is the case, why is Stynes lurking in the background? Why not come our and tell everyone he is ready to take over when Gardiner finshes? The fact is people aren't happy at Melbourne because Gardiner has taken too long to move and get things fixed. Probably because he has a full time job and Melbourne comes 2nd.

What? So the club shouldn't approach people to replace a pres who is going to stand down from the position?

What a joke :rolleyes:

Re: Oh Jeffrey - what have you said

You're right. I like the hawks and have nothing but respect for them but it is very easy with an untrained mind like my own to quickly concieve them as arrogant in recent weeks.

Cheers, for what it's worth, I'm totally against any relocations or mergers and disagree with both Jeffs comments and Willo's choke sign. I'd much prefer that like the rest of the club we let the footy do the talking.

I think Melbourne can drag themselves out of this position eventually and regain a strong presence, unfortunately having worked with Paul Mac, I don't think he is the man to do it.

You know this how?

In my experience, Melbourne have by far the fewest what I would call 'passionate' supporters. In my entire life, of all the Melbourne supporters i've met, I'd say about 3 of them I would call 'passionate'. Compare that to North Melbourne, where i'd say all but one or two supporters i've met over the years classify as 'passionate'.

Wow - its hard to question your research skills .......

I can't say i've ever met too many passionate Geelong supporters either ... but i don't live in Geelong and aren't arogant enough to try and make generalisations based on my own experiences

Remove this Banner Ad

Back