Opinion Hypertheticals road to 2025

PREETY_FLY

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Suns
Thought id open a small discussion for if Tassie got a team in 2025.

Out of the current crop of players who do you think might be lured to go across and become the first Coach and Captain of the club.

Fagan i think would give it a good look at.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Port tried to lure Chris Grant when they joined, and got themselves Gavin Wanganeen. Gold Coast got Gary Ablett. GWS got Phil Davis, Tom Scully and Callan Ward. It's likely they'd target a player like Andrew Brayshaw or Sam Walsh as their inaugural captain. Like GWS did with Ward, they may try lure a young player not necessarily as captain, but as a leader and to ensure they're not smashed by 150+ every week when they first join.

As for the inaugural squad, Tarryn Thomas would surely end up playing for Tassie. There's also Ryan Gardner, the Kolodjasnij brothers, Alex Pearce (as a veteran pickup, could even be their captain for the first couple of years), Toby Nankervis, Brody Mihocek, Ben Brown (although he'd be 33) who are all Tasmanian, among others.

PREETY_FLY

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Suns
Port tried to lure Chris Grant when they joined, and got themselves Gavin Wanganeen. Gold Coast got Gary Ablett. GWS got Phil Davis, Tom Scully and Callan Ward. It's likely they'd target a player like Andrew Brayshaw or Sam Walsh as their inaugural captain. Like GWS did with Ward, they may try lure a young player not necessarily as captain, but as a leader and to ensure they're not smashed by 150+ every week when they first join.

As for the inaugural squad, Tarryn Thomas would surely end up playing for Tassie. There's also Ryan Gardner, the Kolodjasnij brothers, Alex Pearce (as a veteran pickup, could even be their captain for the first couple of years), Toby Nankervis, Brody Mihocek, Ben Brown (although he'd be 33) who are all Tasmanian, among others.

Jake Kolodjasnij would be 29, unfortunately we would only see 1 though as Kade retired last year. He'd be a good leader though down back

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jake Kolodjasnij would be 29, unfortunately we would only see 1 though as Kade retired last year. He'd be a good leader though down back
Oh right, I completely forgot Kade retired. Mainly only remember the two of them for their unique surname, and the fact they're Tasmanian

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Oh right, I completely forgot Kade retired. Mainly only remember the two of them for their unique surname, and the fact they're Tasmanian
Probably worth mentioning that Kade Kolodjashnij is currently working as a development coach for the Labrador Tigers on the Gold Coast. Labrador compete in the top level QAFL state league (they are competing in the prelim this weekend) so Kade would be gaining some good experience this year. Therefore it's possible Kade could be involved in a future Tasmanian AFL team in a coaching capacity.

• As has been pointed out, Tarryn Thomas is currently 21 and seems the most likely to end up playing for Tasmania in the future.
  • Ben Brown is 28 right now so it's possible you could get him in his twilight years if the Tassie team enters the league in 2025.
  • Nankervis and Mihocek are in similar situations at 27 & 28 years of age right now.
  • I don't want to admit it but Lachie Weller would be 29 in 2025 so there's a possibility there.
  • Jake Kolodjashnij is 26 right now.
  • Chayce Jones from the Crows is 21 years old and was a top 10 draft pick.
  • Ryan Gardner from the Bulldogs is 24 years old.
  • Alex Pearce from the Dockers is 26 years old.
  • I doubt he'll make it this far but Aaron Hall is currently 30 years old. As is Andrew Phillips.
  • Jimmy Webster is currently 28.
  • Not players but you get the feeling both Riewoldts will be heavily involved in the Tasmanian team from a coaching/admin perspective. Nick may even serve as a CEO or another high end admin position if he plays his cards right.

PREETY_FLY

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Suns
Probably worth mentioning that Kade Kolodjashnij is currently working as a development coach for the Labrador Tigers on the Gold Coast. Labrador compete in the top level QAFL state league (they are competing in the prelim this weekend) so Kade would be gaining some good experience this year. Therefore it's possible Kade could be involved in a future Tasmanian AFL team in a coaching capacity.

• As has been pointed out, Tarryn Thomas is currently 21 and seems the most likely to end up playing for Tasmania in the future.
  • Ben Brown is 28 right now so it's possible you could get him in his twilight years if the Tassie team enters the league in 2025.
  • Nankervis and Mihocek are in similar situations at 27 & 28 years of age right now.
  • I don't want to admit it but Lachie Weller would be 29 in 2025 so there's a possibility there.
  • Jake Kolodjashnij is 26 right now.
  • Chayce Jones from the Crows is 21 years old and was a top 10 draft pick.
  • Ryan Gardner from the Bulldogs is 24 years old.
  • Alex Pearce from the Dockers is 26 years old.
  • I doubt he'll make it this far but Aaron Hall is currently 30 years old. As is Andrew Phillips.
  • Jimmy Webster is currently 28.
  • Not players but you get the feeling both Riewoldts will be heavily involved in the Tasmanian team from a coaching/admin perspective. Nick may even serve as a CEO or another high end admin position if he plays his cards right.

I really hope Kade sticks with coaching and makes it in to the AFL at some stage.

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
Webberley will have a massive job in development of the state young guns, but given how well Clarence young ones are coming on could be a wise choice for the job, hopefully they entice Probert to come back to footy.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not a huge fan of the compromised drafts that happened when GWS & GC joined the comp so I reckon the AFL should make a one-off/one-time only rule that applies to all Tasmanian players already in the AFL.

These players can join the new entity with some sort of AFL sanctioned bonus for doing so but it only applies to the formation year of the team/club, not after it.

Don't ask me exactly what this bonus/carrot should look like because I have only just thought of the idea but it makes more sense to have one player a player leave each of the other 18 clubs than that horrible draft situation.

After the new team's first year in the AFL, all bets are off and any player wishing to join the Tassies can only do so via the regular mechanisms.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm not a huge fan of the compromised drafts that happened when GWS & GC joined the comp so I reckon the AFL should make a one-off/one-time only rule that applies to all Tasmanian players already in the AFL.

These players can join the new entity with some sort of AFL sanctioned bonus for doing so but it only applies to the formation year of the team/club, not after it.

Don't ask me exactly what this bonus/carrot should look like because I have only just thought of the idea but it makes more sense to have one player a player leave each of the other 18 clubs than that horrible draft situation.

After the new team's first year in the AFL, all bets are off and any player wishing to join the Tassies can only do so via the regular mechanisms.
It's a nice sentiment but it's not really going to work in reality when there's only 23 Tasmanian players in the AFL currently:

Adelaide
1. Chayce Jones (Launceston)

Brisbane
2. Mitch Robinson (Lauderdale)

Carlton
3. Liam Jones (North Hobart)

Collingwood
4. Jeremy Howe (Hobart)
5. Brody Mihocek (Burnie)
6. Isaac Chugg (Launceston)

Essendon
7. Andrew Phillips (Lauderdale)

Fremantle
8. Alex Pearce (Devonport)

Geelong
9. Jake Kolodjashnij (Launceston)

Gold Coast
10. Hugh Greenwood (Lauderdale)
11. Lachie Weller (Burnie)

Melbourne
12. Jay Lockhart (North Launceston)
13. Ben Brown (Devonport)

North Melbourne
14. Aaron Hall (Hobart)
15. Matt McGuinness (Lauderdale)
16. Tarryn Thomas (North Launceston)
17. Patrick Walker (North Hobart)

Richmond
18. Toby Nankervis (North Launceston)
19. Jack Riewoldt (Claremont)
20. Rhyan Mansell (North Launceston)

St Kilda
21. Jimmy Webster (Glenorchy)

Sydney
22. Robbie Fox (Burnie)

Western Bulldogs
23. Ryan Gardner (Burnie)

Some of these guys like Robinson, Howe, Riewoldt, Brown and Hall will all be retired before Tasmania enters the AFL and others just simply won't leave their original club. So they're going to need a lot more help than just allowing access to existing Tasmanians in the league. Like it or not, we're going to have at least one more heavily compromised draft when Tasmania enters the AFL.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
It's a nice sentiment but it's not really going to work in reality when there's only 23 Tasmanian players in the AFL currently:

Adelaide
1. Chayce Jones (Launceston)

Brisbane
2. Mitch Robinson (Lauderdale)

Carlton
3. Liam Jones (North Hobart)

Collingwood
4. Jeremy Howe (Hobart)
5. Brody Mihocek (Burnie)
6. Isaac Chugg (Launceston)

Essendon
7. Andrew Phillips (Lauderdale)

Fremantle
8. Alex Pearce (Devonport)

Geelong
9. Jake Kolodjashnij (Launceston)

Gold Coast
10. Hugh Greenwood (Lauderdale)
11. Lachie Weller (Burnie)

Melbourne
12. Jay Lockhart (North Launceston)
13. Ben Brown (Devonport)

North Melbourne
14. Aaron Hall (Hobart)
15. Matt McGuinness (Lauderdale)
16. Tarryn Thomas (North Launceston)
17. Patrick Walker (North Hobart)

Richmond
18. Toby Nankervis (North Launceston)
19. Jack Riewoldt (Claremont)
20. Rhyan Mansell (North Launceston)

St Kilda
21. Jimmy Webster (Glenorchy)

Sydney
22. Robbie Fox (Burnie)

Western Bulldogs
23. Ryan Gardner (Burnie)

Some of these guys like Robinson, Howe, Riewoldt, Brown and Hall will all be retired before Tasmania enters the AFL and others just simply won't leave their original club. So they're going to need a lot more help than just allowing access to existing Tasmanians in the league. Like it or not, we're going to have at least one more heavily compromised draft when Tasmania enters the AFL.

Even if five of them were lured home it is a win.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
We're looking at a 4-5 year lead in time at least. Its a bit early to worry about how to constitute a team out of current players or through some preferential draft system.

The first thing is to quickly reinvest in the grassroots, elite pathways & the TSL, including at least one club from the North West Coast.

Get kids interested in playing. Instead of soccer & basketball taking the running as it has.

Then we can start to see what we'll have in 4-5 years or whenever.

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
We're looking at a 4-5 year lead in time at least. Its a bit early to worry about how to constitute a team out of current players or through some preferential draft system.

The first thing is to quickly reinvest in the grassroots, elite pathways & the TSL, including at least one club from the North West Coast.

Get kids interested in playing. Instead of soccer & basketball taking the running as it has.

Then we can start to see what we'll have in 4-5 years or whenever.
Yes totally agree about creating junior pathways now, from under 12 upwards and also agree needs to be a Devonport/Burnie in the TSL again.

Back