Hypocrisy of CA and Australian cricketers

Remove this Banner Ad

CA cancelled the tour of SA bc of high risk of getting COVID there when there were daily cases of 10k in the whole SA but continue to send players to India which has daily cases of 300k and none of the Australian players have backed out so far except Hazlewood.
Silly post.
This is individuals choosing to go, not a board sending them there.
Pity a few players were not smart enough to see this was well worth giving a skip and enjoy staying home. But I guess the big income too hard to ignore for some players.

How many of these citizens are dual citizens who have been happy to live in India until the sh*t really hit the fan and now want to come 'home'? They've had 12 months to come home and didnt, now you have to wait. We have all heard about other people having to wait to get flights home, India is no different

Its not as if borders haven't been closed here and people have barely been able to leave their homes. Its a pandemic, border closures are a thing and these things are going to happen, rightly or wrongly.

Doesn't matter - to make it illegal for a citizen to return to their own country is one of the grossest violations of human rights an Australian government has ever implemented - I am staggered there hasn't been more uproar (then again I'm not)

But then don’t whinge about not being let back into the country when you make that decision
I think if you're a citizen/permanent resident for a country, you should absolutely whinge if your country abandons you for no logical or sound reason, of which there isn't one in this case - WA campaigned for a ban but they don't have any reason to care about citizenship rights so whatever, and then the Feds jumped on board because they wanted a political win after taking a beating in recent weeks over quarantine. The Australian Government approved these people leaving the country (which by the way is not something that should be a thing, but it is at the moment) so the Australian Government can have that same thing applied to them: don't have a whinge when the people you approved to leave the country for a set period of time now want to come back to the country, just get the job done.

I think if you're a citizen/permanent resident for a country, you should absolutely whinge if your country abandons you for no logical or sound reason, of which there isn't one in this case - WA campaigned for a ban but they don't have any reason to care about citizenship rights so whatever, and then the Feds jumped on board because they wanted a political win after taking a beating in recent weeks over quarantine. The Australian Government approved these people leaving the country (which by the way is not something that should be a thing, but it is at the moment) so the Australian Government can have that same thing applied to them: don't have a whinge when the people you approved to leave the country for a set period of time now want to come back to the country, just get the job done.
So they should be able to leave whenever they like and come back whenever they like? That’s not how things work right now, ask the folks stuck in UK etc. There were too many arriving with the virus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many of these citizens are dual citizens who have been happy to live in India until the sh*t really hit the fan and now want to come 'home'? They've had 12 months to come home and didnt, now you have to wait. We have all heard about other people having to wait to get flights home, India is no different

Its not as if borders haven't been closed here and people have barely been able to leave their homes. Its a pandemic, border closures are a thing and these things are going to happen, rightly or wrongly.

Unbelievably, nobody has told you a very simple fact: India does not allow dual citizenship. Some of these people will be people who gave up their Indian citizenship to be treated like this, and some of these people probably never gave up their Indian citizenship, knowing full well that they would never be truly considered Australian, which hey, they were absolutely correct

So they should be able to leave whenever they like and come back whenever they like? That’s not how things work right now, ask the folks stuck in UK etc. There were too many arriving with the virus.

Nah, not really. There was a spike but nothing we haven't seen before, and after a year all the states should be better placed to handle a spike. In any case, NSW, the state that deals with the most cases of "too many arriving with the virus" did not support the India ban.

The story is this: WA chucked a dummy spit because their whole thing is covid zero, and hotel quarantine is a liability towards that (which it is, and all states operate now knowing that post Victoria, the federal government will absolutely go all guns blazing at you if there's a covid leak and it suits the Feds agenda so the Feds have themselves to blame for this state of affairs). The Feds have been taking a beating recently, and so they did what all good Australia Governments do when they need a popularity boost: lock some borders, with the benefit of the recently elected Labor WA government being all for it. That's it. There's no greater message here, it's nothing do public health. it's just politics. Ideally people wouldn't fall for it, but the governments know that people will fall for it.

Nah, not really. There was a spike but nothing we haven't seen before, and after a year all the states should be better placed to handle a spike. In any case, NSW, the state that deals with the most cases of "too many arriving with the virus" did not support the India ban.

The story is this: WA chucked a dummy spit because their whole thing is covid zero, and hotel quarantine is a liability towards that (which it is, and all states operate now knowing that post Victoria, the federal government will absolutely go all guns blazing at you if there's a covid leak and it suits the Feds agenda so the Feds have themselves to blame for this state of affairs). The Feds have been taking a beating recently, and so they did what all good Australia Governments do when they need a popularity boost: lock some borders, with the benefit of the recently elected Labor WA government being all for it. That's it. There's no greater message here, it's nothing do public health. it's just politics. Ideally people wouldn't fall for it, but the governments know that people will fall for it.

Leaving out the politics of the opposition demanding the borders be shut then when they are crying foul that the borders were shut!!!

The whole problem is they implemented the negative test before flying but when there is clearly issues either getting tested or the quality of testing in India then something needed to be done. They set a record with 30-40 on the same flight all testing positive. It is too much for the hotel quarantine system to manage those many positive tests for every flight.

The government may have approved their leaving, but they are always aware of the risks, it's why CA is not whinging but playing by the rules, but Michael Slater is just a big old sook. I'm surprised we haven't heard from Dan or has his twitter access been blocked due to his recent stupidity?

I didn't leave out the politics? I pointed out that some of the appeal for the Feds was that the extremely popular Labor premier of WA called for the move first, so they could easily refer to that. The Federal Opposition basically stayed out of it until a couple of days after the official policy release when it became clear they could actually oppose parts of it because it wasn't quite the slam dunk popularity win (although I'm sure it will still be a popularity win)

Pre flight testing was absolutely stupid, which is why it wasn't a thing until (surprise!) WA campaigned for it in January. it's a 14 day incubation period. it's entirely reasonable for a person to test negative and then sadly not be negative anymore. It was a silly policy that accomplishes nothing other than making it even harder for people to return home, and McGowan's comments in the last month on this matter was a disgrace (pondering if people were producing fraudulent certificates and what not). It could also be argued that you are increasing the chances of exposure to covid by making the person get a test. Pre flight testing simply can't be a magic bullet. And there is simply no evidence that the hotel quarantine system can't handle it. There's a lack of will, which is a completely different thing. Again, NSW, the state leading the way in hotel quarantine had no problems with continuing to allow flights from India. NSW is also the only state that doesn't lock down after one case, and the only state that is remotely interested in actually bringing people home because they don't view it as a political liability. It's politics, not public health.

Slater's comments were fine, maybe a bit hyperbolic, but it's a disgraceful policy and I'm just surprised Slater actually had the guts to say it out loud.

I meant you attacked McGowan and Govt for politics but ignored the opposition who did come out demanding the border be shut then when they thought they could play more politics attacked it to get the dissenters on their side.

Victoria is only quiet because the boss is away and the puppet doesn’t want to attack anything as he’s saving himself for a future run and doesn’t want to big note himself. McGowan does like a good whinge about anything and everything though, nothing is his fault but the recent election shows making it Us v Them is very popular in the West.

As for the pre flight testing, no it’s no guarantee but at least you can hopefully avoid taking people who are actually sick and in their most infectious stage in the flight, the fact it wasn’t until this India outbreak we’ve had such a large number on one flight means maybe it was working and this was clearly not effective with Indian testing.

The cricketers chose to go to India which was always extremely risky when this pandemic was still running out of control, but you can’t tell me everyone else stuck in India has been trying to get home since January last year...

CA cancelled the tour of SA bc of high risk of getting COVID there when there were daily cases of 10k in the whole SA but continue to send players to India which has daily cases of 300k and none of the Australian players have backed out so far except Hazlewood.

Where is the hypocrisy? CA pulled the plug on the Saffer series out of concern for our players. As the tour was a Test series players have to follow the board's decisions while the IPL, as I understand it, is not under the same jurisdiction with players making the choice to play or not to play. So CA did not send them to India. You can call those that decided to play either loyal, foolish or greedy, but it was their own decision. I expect CA advised players not to go to a place where Covid was rampant.

Where is the hypocrisy? CA pulled the plug on the Saffer series out of concern for our players. As the tour was a Test series players have to follow the board's decisions while the IPL, as I understand it, is not under the same jurisdiction with players making the choice to play or not to play. So CA did not send them to India. You can call those that decided to play either loyal, foolish or greedy, but it was their own decision. I expect CA advised players not to go to a place where Covid was rampant.
Australian players have to apply for a No Objection Certificate to play in the IPL. Cricket Australia granted those, while at the same time cancelling the tour.

There's the hypocrisy.

Australian players have to apply for a No Objection Certificate to play in the IPL. Cricket Australia granted those, while at the same time cancelling the tour.

There's the hypocrisy.
i was not aware of this certificate.
It has also been stated that the board can reject a NOC if they see any concerns over health.
Surely CA knew of the concerns given India was rampant with Covid, so then its a probability both decisions were swayed by the players. One to not tour and the other to tour. I know it is speculation, but if that is the case then there is no hypocrisy from either party. I've always said those that went to the IPL did so mostly out of greed. They figured the obscene pay packets for what.. 6 weeks of cricket was worth the risk to their health.

Last edited:
i was not aware of this certificate.
It has also been stated that the board can reject a NOC if they see any concerns over health.
Surely CA knew of the concerns given India was rampant with Covid, so then its a probability both decisions were swayed by the players. One to not tour and the other to tour. I know it is speculation, but if that is the case then there is no hypocrisy from either party. I've always said those that went to the IPL did so mostly out of greed. They figured the obscene pay packets for what.. 6 weeks of cricket was worth the risk to their health.
Our players (plus coaches, commentators and others) who went were fortunate to have the opportunity as so many tournaments had been cancelled. They were given assurances of and received excellent protection by team bubbles for quite some time before the breach caused by 2 Indian players who went to hospital for treatment. The IPL also means a great deal to the Indian population.
I don’t see that it’s any of CA’s business if players choose to go, after weighing up the risks. Or our business for that matter. It’s their profession. Pretty judgmental to call them greedy. Even envious, hey?

I wonder if the Aussie guys will go back to the IPL for the resumption, if there wasn't a World Cup straight after then I'd be really mad about what's happening, but considering there's a World Cup it could be in the best interests for them to get match fit. Real shame they aren't going to WI though. Anyone know why Marnus can't play from county cricket but McDermott and Christian can?

I wonder if the Aussie guys will go back to the IPL for the resumption, if there wasn't a World Cup straight after then I'd be really mad about what's happening, but considering there's a World Cup it could be in the best interests for them to get match fit. Real shame they aren't going to WI though. Anyone know why Marnus can't play from county cricket but McDermott and Christian can?
McDermott and Christian had to leave their county team to come back to Australia to do two weeks quarantine before leaving for the West Indies tour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back