Hypocrisy of The Left - part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey you. Lefty. Turn that frown upside-down! It’s a good time to be a Leftist. You might not notice it, with all the talk about Brexit, Trump and Pauline Hanson, but it’s true.

We on the Left are not just turning things upside-down, but back-to-front, inside-out and topsy-turvy, and I’m going to show you how. Here is a non-exhaustive list of our accomplishments in the last thirty years or so. Thanks to our efforts, all of the following statements are now true:

http://www.xyz.net.au/leftist-top-40/

Imagine the uproar from the lefties if this story were about a Muslim woman having her hijab torn off!

This act of intimidation and violence against Christians in Sydney must be widely, loudly and firmly denounced!
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/04/10/australian-beaten-cross-beaten-muslim-gang-shouting/

Sectarian violence is wrong no matter who instigates it. So I don't know about this whole 'imagine the uproar from the lefties if it was a Muslim' nonsense.

My favourite hypocrisy of the left is racism.

No one should like or tolerate racism but the left seem to be quick to flap their arms over the insignificant.

At the same time they hate the idea that globalisation provides other races and people of other nations the same opportunities they have.

How dare those foreigners want our jobs or commodities but fail to see they are happy to buy their cars and phones.

No one should like or tolerate racism but the left seem to be quick to flap their arms over the insignificant.

At the same time they hate the idea that globalisation provides other races and people of other nations the same opportunities they have.

How dare those foreigners want our jobs or commodities but fail to see they are happy to buy their cars and phones.
Get some new material to fish with.

Then again, why get new material if you can just keep using the tried and tested stuff. You always get a bite with it.

No need for a bite, just a decent argument excusing discrimination would suffice

David Penberthy: We’re in danger of becoming cultural apologists

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/rende...s/news-story/075dbd71ee9b169603323cd7873bd683

The general approach on this weekend is to err on the side of pleasantries and emphasise the positive.

At a time when the world is so bitterly divided along religious lines — and when soccer teams, shoppers, servo attendants, Coptic Christians in Egypt and tourists visiting Westminster are the deliberate subject of vicious attacks — sorry, but 1000 words of cheeriness seems out of place.

A couple of years ago I had a mood-killing disagreement over dinner with friends. We had been talking broadly about the miserable state of the world, and the whole Islam versus Christendom thing.

I recounted an awkward experience I’d had at work that week. Our radio show had decided to interview a young Muslim woman to promote a well-meaning initiative where several of the nation’s mosques were holding open days. The idea was that any interested person could rock up and have a yarn with their local Islamic cleric, and mingle with the Muslim congregation. Nice.

When the woman arrived at the radio studio I quite routinely stood up to greet her, leaning towards her and extending my hand. At that point she recoiled. I initially thought she had missed my attempted handshake, so I sort of followed her backwards with my searching hand and had another go. It was only then that I realised she was doing her darnedest not to touch me.

Anyway, over dinner that night I said that the whole thing struck me as an untrusting and impolite way to kick off what was envisaged as a cultural bridge-building exercise. It wasn’t as if I was offering her a beer or a bacon sandwich, for crying out loud.

4b0a7f9adea28473002498445c1c84b0

Reem Allouche (left) and Atika Latifi speak at a Hizb ut-Tahrir conference in which they explained why they believe it is allowed for Muslim men to hit their wives in a “managed way”.
One of my dinner friends told me that as far as she was concerned my actions suggested a total lack of cultural awareness on my part, and that in 2017 you would have to be either a bigot or an idiot to know that many Muslim women do not condone touching men other than their husbands in any form.

We were a few bottles of wine into dinner and I responded that this approach might be all the go in Saudi Arabia or Sumatra, but as far as I was concerned I shouldn’t abandon a polite western tradition in light of some imported set of medieval cultural expectations.

Boy, is that the time? Cabs were called, the cheese board put away, and we called it a night. I love this friend dearly but it still strikes me that her definition of cultural awareness is, in fact, a form of cultural retreat. Handshakes might not count for much but we see other examples of this all the time under our generous definition of multiculturalism.

One of the best examples came this week with the revelation that the new Royal Adelaide Hospital has been designed to include a Muslim prayer room, with directions to Mecca and a separate bathroom for washing feet, with a separate namby-pamby “multi-faith” room where other denominations will be lumped in together.

There are many things that Senator Cory Bernardi says that I cannot abide but I agree with him when he notes that a 60 per cent Christian country seems to be doing a great job catering to the expectations of its 2 per cent Muslim population.

It may be less a case of pernickety Muslims than hardwired PC hand-wringers in the bureaucracy who devised these two sets of rules, but whatever’s the case, here we are.

There are other disturbing examples of this mindset, such as our confusion in calling out separatist or gender-based practices at state-funded Islamic schools, or our universities shutting down speeches by climate sceptics or anti-feminists while giving an uncritical platform to the likes of Islamic political organisation Hizb ut-Tahrir on warm-hearted multiculturalist grounds.

92c46a2ef63a28e40e1c2830822c7505

Senator Cory Bernardi is right to ask why there is a special Muslim prayer room at the new Royal Adelaide Hospital, and a generic room for all other religions. (Pic: Kym Smith)
In NSW a few years ago, there was a shameful discussion at a regional health service as to whether the female circumcision practices of some local African migrant communities should no longer be banned but performed “safely”, given that people were still doing it anyway. What a cop-out.

All these things are white-flag thinking on the part of the supposedly liberal west. Out of politeness, or self-imposed PC strictures, we will remain silent on issues such as these.

We should wonder — appropriately, on the Easter weekend — whether our Christian churches

have become insipid in failing to defend the values they claim to represent.

There wasn’t a peep from the Christian churches about the RAH story this week. Less importantly, but still worthy of mention, this long weekend saw the first-ever scheduling of an AFL match on Good Friday and that, too, was met with similar shoulder-shrugging from the Christian leadership.

I’m not religious and, frankly, believe the world would be a better place if no-one were. But it puzzles me that those who adhere to decent Christian values can be lame in advocating and defending those values against others that, in their radical form, are demonstrably intolerant. It’s as if Christianity has been mugged by an uncritical brand of relativist politeness. The best example of this is the indiscriminate activism of the progressive churches on the refugee question.

I’m all for compassion but I scratch my head at the blindness of these pro-refugee activists to the realities of world politics, as evidenced by revelations that of the 12,500 Syrians slated to arrive in Australia under a one-off humanitarian intake, 500 are on a terror watchlist with 30 of them known by name to ASIO.

It really is a warped sense of generosity, being prepared to extend the hand of friendship so indiscriminately that you would welcome a dangerous few who would happily destroy every Christian church in the land.

Then again, why get new material if you can just keep using the tried and tested stuff. You always get a bite with it.

I get it now.

build wall = bad
but lock people out of participating in the global economy based discrimination = OK

so bricks and naughty words = bad
attacking people's livelihood and locking people into poverty poverty based on discrimination = OK

It seems the radical left should vote for Trump

I get it now.

build wall = bad
but lock people out of participating in the global economy based discrimination = OK

so bricks and naughty words = bad
attacking people's livelihood and locking people into poverty poverty based on discrimination = OK

It seems the radical left should vote for Trump
There you go.
All you wanted to do was post that, regardless of the actual conversation.
But this time we didn't need to waste 3 pages before you wrote it. Win/win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There you go.
All you wanted to do was post that, regardless of the actual conversation.
But this time we didn't need to waste 3 pages before you wrote it. Win/win.

So are you like trump and want to lock people out from participating? He wants a wall for a barrier but you'd support legislation as the barrier?

As the Thai's say "same same but different!"

None of them are hot.

Loled at the 'Destroy the patriarchy, not the planet' sign. How is the patriarchy linked to the environment lmao

Wouldn't normally have expected this kind of ignorance from you.

Our Western Capitalist system is patriarchal by nature, in the way that it both treats & destroys our mother earth for her resources, without a second thought for the dire consequences.....That's mind dominating over matter, by raping & pillaging it....Rather than a sustainable system in harmony with the living planet & the phases of the moon.

There's plenty of literature on deep feminist ecology, emanating out of the Gaia movement & philosophy....Perhaps it's time to avail yourself of it.

Wouldn't normally have expected this kind of ignorance from you.

Our Western Capitalist system is patriarchal by nature, in the way that it both treats & destroys our mother earth for her resources, without a second thought for the dire consequences.....That's mind dominating over matter, by raping & pillaging it....Rather than a sustainable system in harmony with the living planet & the phases of the moon.

There's plenty of literature on deep feminist ecology, emanating out of the Gaia movement & philosophy....Perhaps it's time to avail yourself of it.

I understand what you're saying but I find linking the planet to feminine terms like 'Mother Earth' or 'Gaia' to create a false contrast between the patriarchy and planet.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I understand what you're saying but I find linking the planet to feminine terms like 'Mother Earth' or 'Gaia' to create a false contrast between the patriarchy and planet.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No....They're both synonymous & inter-related....That placard is spot-on.

Patriarchy is where the intellect dominates over the body (Planet) & takes possession of the soul (Wisdom/anima/sophia).

Matriarchy is where the psyche is in harmony & balanced between the 2.....The Green party can be seen as representative of what constitutes a Matriarchal philosophy & mind-set in action.

Our current Capitalist, patriarchal system is neurotic by nature & split in 2, as it's divorced from the body & the planet, while wanting to dominate over them both at the same time....That's what happens to a socially constructed world trapped in denial & driven by a power-complex.....That's our current 'system' today....Take the current manic obsession with oil that dominates U.S foreign-policy, that includes the destruction of the Middle East...Not to mention domestically, with fracking destroying rivers & underground water tables & supplies.....Utter madness.

It's quite literally the rape of the feminine & the soul....The symbolism is there for all to see in 'sky-scrapers' (Erections), mine & oil shafts (penetration), & nuclear bombs (Climax)....A freudian reading, if you will.

Microcosm/Macrocosm....The human psyche partakes of the world psyche (Jung)....If we destroy the earth, then we destroy ourselves.

A Fair bit of Nietzschean post-structuralism underlies it's philosophical armature also.

Patriarchy is what happens when man allows his own intellect to run away with itself, loosened from it's human, vulnerable & mortal moorings, that is the body....Greek tragedy warns of this human plight & propensity often enough.....Hubris is it's most common thematic as the danger to our own downfall.

All imperialist empires are patriarchal by their very nature.

"same opportunities"

Like same pay and conditions, yeah?

Then again it's not entirely the wealthy capitalists' fault, trade unions could do more to help out their brother and sister workers in the developing world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back