Hypocrisy of The Left - part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

XH87D2J1LpczYZFJPrmjkvQ8OlAMDrKHxldXW-WhiY0.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The video is pretty dumb. I don't think the left loves Islam because of a love for totalitarianism. I think it's more out of a desire to stick up for the underdog, which is generally something I can get behind. The problem with it in the case of Islam is that we know what it looks like when Muslims aren't the underdogs. When they're in power, they're not at all on board with diversity and human rights. The greater Islam's influence grows in the west, the slower we will move toward the progressive society that Islam apologists are supposedly fighting for. I'm not sure if it's hypocrisy as much as it's just shooting yourself in the foot.

The majority of "leftys" do not like Islam as a religion and certainly not the rulers of Islamic countries.

I have no problems with the individuals that practice it peacefully, which is the overwhelming majority.

Rowan Dean sounds like a 14 year old just passing on to his friends in the playground what he overheard his parents talk about after dinner last night. An original thought may pop into his head one day but for now cliches and soundbites seem to be the limit of his intellect.

No worries.

The left does not love islam.

Agree, but they do seem to be ideologically caught between multiculturalism and the regressive aspects of the religion.

Why don't certain individuals on the right understand that their hysterical over-the-top anti-Islamic ranting and raving is actually completely counter-productive?

I think that can apply fairly equally to both sides of the left/right paradigm.

The majority of "leftys" do not like Islam as a religion and certainly not the rulers of Islamic countries.

I have no problems with the individuals that practice it peacefully, which is the overwhelming majority.

Rowan Dean sounds like a 14 year old just passing on to his friends in the playground what he overheard his parents talk about after dinner last night. An original thought may pop into his head one day but for now cliches and soundbites seem to be the limit of his intellect.
Could have fooled me.

Could have fooled me.
It's not hard to fool considering the s**t you read.

Agree, but they do seem to be ideologically caught between multiculturalism and the regressive aspects of the religion.
It's a hard balance. On the one hand you have to build social cohesion and projecting problems on to minorities is best left to others. On the other you have secular values you have to uphold. These can come into contradiction.

What does this mean?
It means that the ideologies of social inclusion and acceptance can sometimes be at odds with the ideologies of the dominant western culture because they don't always share the same values. Therefore if you subscribe to multicultural policies and also wish to maintain the same standards of secular rule, you walk a fine line trying to balance the two.

This issue is what many who are critical of multiculturalism (or more specifically, the third wave of Australian multiculturalism that is significantly closer to cultural pluralism than previous iterations) discuss when critiquing it.

It means that the ideologies of social inclusion and acceptance can sometimes be at odds with the ideologies of the dominant western culture because they don't always share the same values. Therefore if you subscribe to multicultural policies and also wish to maintain the same standards of secular rule, you walk a fine line trying to balance the two.

This issue is what many who are critical of multiculturalism (or more specifically, the third wave of Australian multiculturalism that is significantly closer to cultural pluralism than previous iterations) discuss when critiquing it.

I think there's a general confusion about the term multiculturalism.

Everyone supports cultural diversity when it means you can eat Thai, celebrate Diwali with your Indian colleagues, or drink green beer on St Patrick's Day. There's no juggling of values to be done there.

There are some cultural groups that have beliefs and practices that are at odds with Western secular views. For example, Sharia marriage rules, Aborigine punishments, various types of genital mutilation. If those practices transgress Australian law then they should be dealt with accordingly. I don't think this is controversial either. Yet we have Koori Courts and calls for Sharia Courts. I think we should have one law an one set of courts.

The fine line between western culture and ideologies of social inclusion and acceptance is required because we publically fund ethic groups and encourage a political power base that supports division rather than inclusion.

As Kenan Malik says

What multicultural policies do is not empower minority communities, but empower so-called community leaders, who achieve power not because they represent their community, but because they have a relationship with the state.​

There are some cultural groups that have beliefs and practices that are at odds with Western secular views. For example, Sharia marriage rules, Aborigine punishments, various types of genital mutilation. If those practices transgress Australian law then they should be dealt with accordingly. I don't think this is controversial either. Yet we have Koori Courts and calls for Sharia Courts. I think we should have one law an one set of courts.
There are no serious calls for sharia law. The only ones discussing it are the conservative bed wetters.

We just had a national debate, with one side led by conservative christians trying to legislate according to their religious beliefs. We just had a public holiday for christian beliefs.

The wanking about values as you describe them is nonsense; the west doesn't seem to have decided what its own values are, yet you're trying to drum up fear that others are trying to tear them down.

Classic racist scapegoating.

There are no serious calls for sharia law. The only ones discussing it are the conservative bed wetters.

We just had a national debate, with one side led by conservative christians trying to legislate according to their religious beliefs. We just had a public holiday for christian beliefs.

The wanking about values as you describe them is nonsense; the west doesn't seem to have decided what its own values are, yet you're trying to drum up fear that others are trying to tear them down.

Classic racist scapegoating.

As usual you ignore most of my post.

The Australian Federation of Islamic Councils wants Muslims to be able to marry, divorce and conduct financial transactions under the principles of sharia law.

This same group was at the centre of a struggle to control revenue gained from halal certification fees.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...s-take-over-halal-income-20170222-guinqr.html

It's exactly the same problem as money directed towards Aborigine communities. It does not empower minority communities, but empower so-called community leaders, who achieve power not because they represent their community, but because they have a relationship with the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back