Society/Culture Hypocrisy of The Left - part 3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FireKraquora

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
There are very few sports where there is inherent talent or genetic advantage.
I think it's both nature and nurture in fairly equal portions. At the most elite level, genes become even more important. No matter how much you have in the way of resources, not just anyone can become Usain Bolt.

Genetic data can already be analysed to discover if someone is built more for power / burst speed or endurance. Along with their predisposition towards obesity, disease etc. It would be near impossible to become an athlete at the top level of any event without ticking the right boxes in the genetic lottery, IMO.

Chief

110% sass!
AFL Club
Carlton
Admin #8,254
I think it's both nature and nurture in fairly equal portions. At the most elite level, genes become even more important. No matter how much you have in the way of resources, not just anyone can become Usain Bolt.
But many studies show the opposite re: nature and nuture. In most sports, nurture is the key.

There are some sports where genetics plays a part. I think with Bolt something else played a part too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maverick5

Draftee
Suspended
AFL Club
Hawthorn
James dude aka.. short pants isn't thrilling me at replicating the 'new' world and he is trying me ..
I know I am tiring myself but I don't want to walk a thousand miles to vote.. postal vote means that I
have to get in there before i get the relevant news. nuts. ... dude...

its free real estate

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Im not sure what that means based on that article.

Ive seen another study showing footballers born between sept amd and December were more likely to be champions
Chief is misunderstanding statistics. You have a 0.01% chance of playing AFL. If you are born in January you have a 0.012% chance against other people born in January. If you are born in December your chance against other people born in December of playing AFL is 0.008%.

What do you think is the determinant of whether you play in AFL? Whether you are born in January or December, or something else?

Father Jack

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Chief is misunderstanding statistics. You have a 0.01% chance of playing AFL. If you are born in January you have a 0.012% chance against other people born in January. If you are born in December your chance against other people born in December of playing AFL is 0.008%.

What do you think is the determinant of whether you play in AFL? Whether you are born in January or December, or something else?
I first came across this whole 'when you were born' thing at uni a decade and a half ago, so it's been recognised as a factor for quite some time

Gethelred

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
What is the more determining factor? Whether you have the genes to run a 16 beep or whether you are born in January?
I ran a 15 when I was much younger, and I would say that I was far more explosively fit (go as hard as for 5 minutes, then stuffed, but short recovery times) than aerobically fit. I don't buy beep tests as measures of a genetic predilection in any direction; I see them as a measure that can be used to measure fitness, because that's what it is.

If you were going to measure it as a genetic measure, you'd have to make the test harder, and then you'd have to measure as many disparate - re, isolated - populations you can to find genetic markers towards long distance running, and then you'd have to compensate for training, adversity, diet, etc.

its free real estate

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
I ran a 15 when I was much younger, and I would say that I was far more explosively fit (go as hard as for 5 minutes, then stuffed, but short recovery times) than aerobically fit. I don't buy beep tests as measures of a genetic predilection in any direction; I see them as a measure that can be used to measure fitness, because that's what it is.

If you were going to measure it as a genetic measure, you'd have to make the test harder, and then you'd have to measure as many disparate - re, isolated - populations you can to find genetic markers towards long distance running, and then you'd have to compensate for training, adversity, diet, etc.
Some people can’t run them at all though, no matter how much they train.

The point is: where does most of the contribution come from for playing elite sport: genetic gifts or environmental factors?

The science is fairly conclusive the majority of the contributions is is in the genes. The month you are born in has a marginal effect.

medusala

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
But many studies show the opposite re: nature and nuture. In most sports, nurture is the key.
Overwhelming majority of people couldnt play AFL no matter what coaching and facilities they encountered.

Also see digit ratio and correlation with sporting prowess.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2577466/

The science is fairly conclusive the majority of the contributions is is in the genes. The month you are born in has a marginal effect.
I agree with you but not necessarily re month of birth. IIRC it was Michael Lewis in Moneyball who explained how the month of birth played a huge role in draft choices.

edit: or may have been freakonomics as suggested above.

Top Bottom